Sign in to follow this  
nyles

Interface discussion

Please make a way for editors to loop action music during firefight sequences then have it die down when the action stops, or switch to a new song like swat 3's music system.

What about a quick menu where there are the more popular firefight commands. If there is a hot key then when you point at the soldier (or select them by other means) press the hotkey for a semi-transparent command menu which the mouse operates. If each command is part of a wheel shaped menu around the pointer and activated when a segment is highlighted it would be quickest. I am pretty sure I have seen other games use this. maybe a movement hotkey, attack hotkey and action hotkey to activate different menus.

For attacking purposes I think maybe the option for attacking units in a general area. ie. select the soldier/s, command to attack and then click in a direction and they will automatically start attempting to eliminate units nearest that point. Maybe holding the mousebutton down longer in a certain direction would increase the arc of units to attack.

If not then above then maybe being able to mass select the enemy by drawing a box around the units you wish your troops to attack so as to suppress the enemy troops as well as kill them. You can already draw a box around squadmembers you wish to select whilst in command mode so this must be possible.

What about a SWAT 2 type control system as well....where you could for example, press a Function key for the player, press a key for like "Breach door", put your crosshair on door and click.

I liked the way how in SWAT3 they used the crosshairs of the gun to direct actions.

Have you played Raven Shield? It uses a similiar system that I think is even more intuitive. When your crosshairs hit a door a small icon appears in the bottom part of your screen. In this case, it´s an icon of a door and it´s a bit grayed out. This means that you can´t reach the door yourself and you can only order the AI to open it. When you are right next to the door the icon brightens and you can open the door yourself. So if you´re going to order the AI to open it you hold down the space bar while your crosshairs are on the door and a circular menu appears, with four actions for the AI:

-Open door

-Open&clear

-Open&grenade

-Open, grenade&clear

By slightly moving your mouse, each option is highlighted. When you release the space bar, the highlighted option is selected. If you selected the grenade option, another menu appears where you select a flash, frag, tear gas or smoke grenade. When you release the space bar the AI executes the order and expertly clears the building. This can be done in 3 seconds and I think it´s a perfect system for CQB.

Perhaps the addition of a global radio infrastructure would be good?

It would enable the player to hear all radio commands from all AI players in the area - even ones from different squads. It could be quite confusing at first, but would lead to greater situational awareness after time. It could perhaps be implemented by using varing frequency bands on a radio

I'm not too sure as to how realistic this would be when compared to the real world - but I quite like the idea.

Please find another way to pick up things and get in vehicles, the Action Menu is rather annoying and its use should be minimized. To get in Vehicles assign a Hotkey rather than use the action Menu, it could be like in BF1942 or implement another idea. Make it possible to users to be able to assign hotkeys to some Actions or "bind" if you prefer that term. Also make it possible so MODs can add new action/functions to Hotkeys...

Thanks for your attention.

Please find another way to pick up things and get in vehicles, the Action Menu is rather annoying and its use should be minimized. To get in Vehicles assign a Hotkey rather than use the action Menu, it could be like in BF1942 or implement another idea. Make it possible to users to be able to assign hotkeys to some Actions or "bind" if you prefer that term. Also make it possible so MODs can add new action/functions to Hotkeys...

There is actually a key for doing such things. The top action on the action menu is the most likely one to be used. ie. you rush up to a car and it is "get in car". This means that just by pressing enter will do it. If you redefined the key to something closer to the asdw keys you are practically there.

I still agree that having optional hotkeys for such actions as "get in driver seat" so you don't have to look at the action menu to make sure it is selected.

There is actually a key for doing such things.  The top action on the action menu is the most likely one to be used.  ie.  you rush up to a car and it is "get in car".  This means that just by pressing enter will do it.  If you redefined the key to something closer to the asdw keys you are practically there.

I still agree that having optional hotkeys for such actions as "get in driver seat" so you don't have to look at the action menu to make sure it is selected.

Not nessesarily. A lot of addons with things like animated doors/ hatches etc have those actions on top. Also, when in a vehicle, get out or eject isn't the top one, so when you suddenly spot that T80 over the hill, you have to scroll through.. and die.

Also, the FDF mod makes the top action 'attach satchel to vehicle' if you have satchels- which is a the only fault with an otherwise amazingly good mod.

I realy like all these idears and to add

i would like someting on my desk to pinch me so i dont start

tolking to a sexy female civilian biggrin_o.gif

Also it would be good to have hand signals when commanding your squad. Imagine you are deep in enemy territory and you can´t even talk to your radio, so the only option that is left is to make signals(mimic) with your hands. You know like those they do on movies, move forward, I see XX men XXmeters away, take cover, ect. All that with mimic smile_o.gif

Integrate a russian Language in standart relaise!

And make realtime Server!

It would be nice to have a lot more functions able to be bound to keys. I'd also like (pipe dream) to be able to hold or press a button for 'hold position' which would allow you to lie in one position and move your arms/ head etc round a bit. This would eliminate a great number of clipping problems with edges of buildings.

EG, as it is now, if you go prone at the edge of a building, then look round the corner towards the building, your body is pushed about a foot (33cm) sideways by the collision detection on the building, because now as you move your aim while prone your entire body pivots round your groin.

my wish is, let the ingame interface as it is, because it is very nice that there isnt any unnessary display.

I really hate commanding people in OPF I know it sounds rambo, but I wish that the the ai would be smart enough to attack a enemy from 10 feet without me saying so.

Some of these replys are ridiculously complex the game has to fit on a computer and calibrating voice commands are too complex and haveing a microphone bundled with the game will cause its price to rise

now the tactical corrections; first off operation flashpoints system is fine it would be nice if say a squadmate was within 20 meters say then you start yelling at him but the radio thing is pretty realistic in an infantry squad every man gets a small personal communication radio in case they are not in view, the radio operator and or squad leader will carry a more sexy radio for platoon company and beyond level communication that can be tuned to a globl frequency to call in airstrikes,artillery,armour etc.

In fact the only really unrealistic thing in ofp is the fact that your squad mates whos radio range in real life would be about 500 meters at most can communicate from the other side of the island, instead of them saying where are you someone could say "we've lost contact with so and so" and when someone dies you would hear someone yell "Man Down" over the radio and or by voice warning.

Quote[/b] ]Some of these replys are ridiculously complex the game has to fit on a computer and calibrating voice commands are too complex and haveing a microphone bundled with the game will cause its price to rise

Wrong: there are already utilities that translate speech to commands in a third party program; nobody said bundling a mic with the game was necessary and a cheap mic is, what, a couple of pounds.

Quote[/b] ] radio thing is pretty realistic in an infantry squad every man gets a small personal communication radio in case they are not in view

No, they do not. Its been suggested, some forces get them, but not every soldier has them right now and they definitely did not in 1985 (OFP) or when OFP2 is set.

"BOWMAN Personal Role Radio (PRR):

The BOWMAN PRR provides short range communications for dismounted infantry and is expected to transform infantry operations."

found at

http://www.mod.uk/dpa/projects/bowman.htm

although i do stand corrected on the fact they didnt have the radios before the late 90's.

I also stand corrected on the subject of the voice recognition systems i didnt know that... thats quite cool actually.

btw that is the current system for the united states army, us brits are just behind at the moment... as usual