Sign in to follow this  
CuteQA

Animals

my thoughts exactly...i seem to remember reading hippos tend to have a dislike for inflateable boats eheh crazy_o.gif

I watched a show that showed how these two guys put a dummy in a rubber raft and pushing it near a hippo. Let's just day it wasn't pretty. wow_o.gif

Ontopic: We need animals. tounge_o.gif

/\-/\-/\-/\-/\

\/-\/-\/-\/-\/

It'd be pretty frickin cool if the animals had some sort of AI.  Imagine, walking through the jungle only to have a deer startle and leap up in front of you and then bound away into the forest.  You'd nearly wet yourself and fire off half a clip before you realized what happened.  Also, imagine pissing off a nearby rhino or elephant and having it charge you.  Or, while stalking the enemy, you yourself are being stalked by a tiger.  Adds a whole new dimension to the game doesn't it?

Deer don't live in the jungle  tounge_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

They do in Southeast Asia. I can't remember the name of the species, but its a small red deer. They showed one in the movie Platoon in the ned scene when Charlie Sheen wakes up in the jungle after the big battle.

A little off topic but this thread brought back a memory:

In the town where I grew up, there were some very prominent and well to do ranchers who owned a private zoo. They had all sorts of exotic animals including elephants, a hippo, a lion or two, even a tiger. I guess they had been raising the animals for so long and doing such a good job of it, that the government decided to let them keep on doing it. Anyway, they had a large extended family living on this huge huge ranch and the family had several kids in it who all went to private schools. They had a son Dan who was a year older than me and a younger son who's name I forget who was a year younger than me. Every year our grade school would conduct a field trip to their ranch and Dan and the other kids got to conduct a tour of their zoo. In our eyes, they were Gods. Kind of like a modern day Swiss Family Robinson or something. That field trip used to be the highlight of my grade school years. By the time I got to High School, the kids were attending public school again, so Dan was a grade ahead of me. One time I asked him what it was like living on such a cool ranch and you know what he told me? He said it sucked. Every day he and the other kids would have to get up at the crack of dawn to care for and feed the animals. Apparently elephants eat a LOT of hay in one day (A couple of hundred pound bales if I remember what he told me correctly) and they crap even more. Plus, he said cleaning up monkey shit was the worst, because it smelled worse than human excrement. The hippo turned out to be a surly bastard that didn't like anyone, and wouldn't move for anyone either. He told me they grew up wishing they could be like us normal kids. Talk about shattering childhood illusions. Here we all were wanting to be like them, and all they wanted to do was be like us!

Yo Schoeler - it was a Muntjac [aka Reeve's Muntjac/Rib-Faced Deer/Barking Deer - sure hope I got it right now wow_o.gif ].

Native to SE Asia. Here in England a few escaped from a wildlife park back in the '50s and are all over the place now. They're no bigger than a dog, so can come right into the suburbs and chomp your shrubs!

Plenty of deer live in the Jungle - Chital for instance, which are the staple diet of tigers. I read an awesome book, can't remember the name or author right now, but it was a guy who was brought in by the Indian government to hunt down maneating tigers. Apparently a tiger wasn't designated a maneater until it had killed at least 20 or 30 people...

Anyway - this guy used the alarm calls of chital and other wildlife to locate the tiger. Some awesome scenes, like when he moves into a village that's deserted because of the tiger, seeing its tracks all over the place - pure OFP tension! Could do a great mission where you have to win favour with locals by stalking a maneater...

I'll try and find the author's name - an Indian nature reserve was named after him. I lent the book to my mate who never gave it back, only we're not talking and I don't want to phone him just to ask the name tounge_o.gif  wow_o.gif  sad_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

Anyhow - agree that animals would be great, but convincing behaviour might be too time-consuming to model. If you're a deer  watcher/stalker you'll know that they're bl**dy hard to find unless they're present in huge numbers...you don't want to be tripping over the things every other mission!

Can you feel the tension! Lost, advancing through the jungle at night hearing the tigers roar from the distance, from all the night tense jungle sounds you notice that the tigers are getting closer... and closer, you start to feel a little panic, switch your rifle mode to full and try to move has stealthy and quiet has possible, a little "grrrr" from behind, another "meow" from the left, omg the rush, the adrenalin and fear...

It'd be pretty frickin cool if the animals had some sort of AI.  Imagine, walking through the jungle only to have a deer startle and leap up in front of you and then bound away into the forest.  You'd nearly wet yourself and fire off half a clip before you realized what happened.  Also, imagine pissing off a nearby rhino or elephant and having it charge you.  Or, while stalking the enemy, you yourself are being stalked by a tiger.  Adds a whole new dimension to the game doesn't it?

Deer don't live in the jungle  tounge_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

They do in Southeast Asia.  I can't remember the name of the species, but its a small red deer.  They showed one in the movie Platoon in the ned scene when Charlie Sheen wakes up in the jungle after the big battle.

Deer live in everyplace imaginable except Antartica, australia, New Zealand and Madagascar.

/\-/\-/\-/\-/\

\/-\/-\/-\/-\/

Yo Schoeler - it was a Muntjac [aka Reeve's Muntjac/Rib-Faced Deer/Barking Deer - sure hope I got it right now wow_o.gif ].

Native to SE Asia. Here in England a few escaped from a wildlife park back in the '50s and are all over the place now. They're no bigger than a dog, so can come right into the suburbs and chomp your shrubs!

Plenty of deer live in the Jungle - Chital for instance, which are the staple diet of tigers. I read an awesome book, can't remember the name or author right now, but it was a guy who was brought in by the Indian government to hunt down maneating tigers. Apparently a tiger wasn't designated a maneater until it had killed at least 20 or 30 people...

Anyway - this guy used the alarm calls of chital and other wildlife to locate the tiger. Some awesome scenes, like when he moves into a village that's deserted because of the tiger, seeing its tracks all over the place - pure OFP tension! Could do a great mission where you have to win favour with locals by stalking a maneater...

I'll try and find the author's name - an Indian nature reserve was named after him. I lent the book to my mate who never gave it back, only we're not talking and I don't want to phone him just to ask the name tounge_o.gif  wow_o.gif  sad_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

Anyhow - agree that animals would be great, but convincing behaviour might be too time-consuming to model. If you're a deer  watcher/stalker you'll know that they're bl**dy hard to find unless they're present in huge numbers...you don't want to be tripping over the things every other mission!

Cool, thanks. I knew I wasn't going crazy!

Got it - Maneaters of Kumaon by Jim Corbett. Highly recommend it - you will not put it down until finished.

Some of the stuff is wild, like the tactic of stalking from upwind so the tiger gets his scent and and stays in his front quarter, knowing that an attack from the front is the only one he stands a chance against.

Or the time when...and...ah, D*NM, I gotta read this book again!

Anyway, weren't we talking about some kind of combat game? smile_o.gif

Cool! hoppely they can make dogs which bark when you're in the surrounding distance. When they got an Afghnaistan-Irak-desert Island, camels or horses were you can transport men and ammo.

Shouldnt we have the chance to use a donkey or a camel to carry our stuff (weapons and gear), would make life easier you know, like your in the desert and spot a helo, you stop, take your stinger from the camel and shoot it down, i mean if animals are available it would make sense to let them carry all the weight for us tounge_o.gif .

I'd rather have my computing power going towards something a little less frivolous than ambient fauna. But that's just my opinion- it's sort of like the Bus in Resistance or the mini in one of the patches: sure, it's nice I guess, but couldn't we have gotten something a little more closely related to OFP's core concept?

dogs... Dogs... Dogs!... DOGS... DOGS!!!... biggrin_o.gif

@ June 30 2003,05:04)]I'd rather have my computing power going towards something a little less frivolous than ambient fauna. But that's just my opinion- it's sort of like the Bus in Resistance or the mini in one of the patches: sure, it's nice I guess, but couldn't we have gotten something a little more closely related to OFP's core concept?

No no no tounge_o.gif

You see, buses and cars can easily be made by the community but animals would be significant harder. So... if Bis gave us a "template" donkey the community would have something to learn from.

smile_o.gif

Imagine you drive with your DuneBuggy and *BANG* a rhino Rammes you Car. YOU get out, Hide behind the crashed Buggy. And the Rhino continues engaging and ramming the Buggy lol.

You jump out of cover and Burstfire for your live biggrin_o.gif

Can you feel the tension! Lost, advancing through the jungle at night hearing the tigers roar from the distance, from all the night tense jungle sounds you notice that the tigers are getting closer... and closer, you start to feel a little panic, switch your rifle mode to full and try to move has stealthy and quiet has possible, a little "grrrr" from behind, another "meow" from the left, omg the rush, the adrenalin and fear...

Kick ass  biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

That would be the numbero uno on my wishlist for OFP2!!

Boy with Animallife added OFP will be THE GAME.

You can do almost everything ingame now.

Imagine what we can do in OFP2!! wow_o.gif

First off, what does OFP2 stand for?

Also I would like to see deer. That is mostly what I see when I travel the rockies. Maybe a cougar and snakes too.

hello all,

Rather than a sarcastic reply, which will just alienate a fairly new poster, why not explain the reasons for not digging this up and answer his question?

1. OFP2 is Operation Flashpoint 2, In this context probably referring to Arma.

2. Animals are included in ARMA2. Sheep, cows, goats etc.

3. This thread is relatively ancient and doesnt really pertain to A2 anymore, and is here for archival reasons rather than current topic.

Rgds

LoK

Sorry i don't meant to be rude... but you really should take a look at the date of the last post before posting. :D

Major changes/additions like new animals are extremely unlikely in ArmA2 at this point.

Your suggestion regarding animals can be posted here for ArmA3. :bounce3: