Sign in to follow this  
dayglow

Ai thread

Not really. Assaults are done with speed, using overwatch and cover fire, maybe supported by heavier guns. In Armas own terms, I think COMBAT mode covers that. Patrol would be used automatically before they know about any enemies, only unknowns and moving towards them to investigate. But could be used by mission maker when he felt it was appropriate, i.e. a patrol hunting for downed pilots.

Another suggestion: It would be nice if the AI knew how to bracket. I.e. you can lay safe at a place knowing that all incoming D30 rounds will be spent firing above your head. Bracket means analyzing where the shot went, and make adjustments until you hit. If the first round triggers a miss of course.

When AI are shot without script they will always hit the deck, why dont they ever find cover or retreat?

I do not get why this all has to be pre determined and scripted before hand.

"that other game" AI flank and kill me all the time, i cant recall the last time the AI actually pulled off a flank on me and my squad.

its usually a hit the deck, and let the human player find us kind of thinking.

Makes for very boring and lame firefights.

Not even going to mention the AI issues and bugs from 1.05. broken code

With the upcomong OA and the Backpack features id request/suggest

that improvemnts to AI is made also..

If things are packed in AI packs, get them to use what is packed aswell..

And please give me as SQ leader the option to ORDER Ai to "Turn the

bloddy engine OFF" aswell as to ORDER them to TURN OF THE LIGHTS..

I have LOTS of suggestions to AI but it seems like a minimalistic contolsystem

is prefered..

An override where the damned AI just DO AS THEY'RE TOLD when they're told would be great - it's a pain having to do all the driving yourself because they just won't obey instructions....

Simple things like "Suppress that area" and "Maneouver Defensive" / "Maneouver Offensive" would be nice too - ie. AI will do as instructed on foot or when driving / manning a mounted weapon.

Edited by Chumba

When AI are shot without script they will always hit the deck, why dont they ever find cover or retreat?

I do not get why this all has to be pre determined and scripted before hand.

"that other game" AI flank and kill me all the time, i cant recall the last time the AI actually pulled off a flank on me and my squad.

its usually a hit the deck, and let the human player find us kind of thinking.

Makes for very boring and lame firefights.

Not even going to mention the AI issues and bugs from 1.05. broken code

It would be nice if they ran for cover at least in case of explosions. That's the kind of danger you won't solve by hiding in grass.

And please make them avoid burning objects (vehicles). I get really mad when I see an AI lying right next to a burning truck happily shooting as if the fire couldn't hurt.

AI needs playbooks and map needs to be broken down into zones both macro and micro.

*Flame suit on!*

This series would be light-years more tantalizing if the default AI used a stock set of both offensive and defensive playbooks with random or predetermined combat style personality for squad leaders. Of course this would require the option to be disabled for mission makers who already have their own plans for how the AI should play out.

Example Leader Personalities:

-Aggressive: Tends to establish early fire and uses cover while advancing forward on enemy positions. Hard to intimidate.

-Defensive: Self explanatory. Observes enemies before opening up and sets men to optimal cover spots or shadows enemies movements and waits for opportune attacking moments. Hard to rout.

-Tactician: Uses surroundings very well ie. sends sniper to top floor/tower, orders MG'er to suppress while other units flank etc...

-Unstable: Uses random tactics with a high degree of beserker attitude.

This may be outside of the scope of the current engine, but as it stands fighting AI just isn't that interesting anymore as no matter who they are in terms of factions/skill level etc... they play out basically the same.

*Doubles another layer of flame resistant suit!*

The map needs to be loosely scripted -again, with the option to disable.

Zone the whole thing up! Urban zones, heavily wooded zones, open field zones with smaller zones letting the AI know there is quality cover, ambush material nearby. Every structure needs to be AI friendly with squads understanding how to break up and defend/clear a house. Give the Ai different strategies depending on their zone, how close enemy is as well as approximate time to use current strategy before contact and most importatnly -what is the makeup of known enemy Air, armour, Infantry or combined.

Sure I'm dreaming here, but if BI ever held a press conference with even half of the above and were excited about it, well they could just about name their price as far as I'm concerned.

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 PM ----------

Could some kind hearted poster please just kill me now and tell me "Froggy, this will never ever happen, you need to move on" -so that I can grieve aand then get on with my life...

Edited by froggyluv

;1624948']With the upcomong OA and the Backpack features id request/suggest

that improvemnts to AI is made also..

If things are packed in AI packs' date=' get them to use what is packed aswell..

And please give me as SQ leader the option to [b']ORDER[/b] Ai to "Turn the

bloddy engine OFF" aswell as to ORDER them to TURN OF THE LIGHTS..

I have LOTS of suggestions to AI but it seems like a minimalistic contolsystem

is prefered..

Yeah, there are loads of action commands that seem obvious, but are still missing. Like helicopter pilot LAND! Using disembark is so backwards.

Also, the never ending "we are still in contact" even when the enemy is miles away and we are set to safe etc is really annoying for infantry.

Froggyluv is right and right.

Yes the AI should have a "playbook". They should have a dozen or so core "drills" that run like a play where they move and coordinate to handle various dynamic situations. Later add even more specialized drills in a modular fashion as desired. Give the community the power to make these things somehow. Right now its like they have one play that fails miserably to address what they really should do in a sandbox battlefield.

Yes again to zoning the map so the AI has a better guide of how it should react and operate based on the zone they are in. There are some scripting areas that could address this. It would be tedious but not impossible to manually zone a map to provide this function but a dynamic system that allows the AI to build and use the zone system as it moves around the map (any map) would be better.

Different modes of operation would be great as well because there is no one mode that addresses all the possible scenarios and different leaders would have different styles so you cant take the enemy out with the same old tactics and tricks.

They need to fix the rigid formation ordering.. I mean come on.. look at this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/F12Bwth2/Game%20Screens/arma22010-05-3000-09-08-43.jpg

If I tell 18 AI to run into a town they should just stack up with distance to target at the time of the order being the only control to order..

Instead, I have to tell each one to go to a place one at a time. Very Fail

A squad of 19? :yikes: I'd say that is the fail there, trying to detail command that many. Typically you'd use HC and just command the fireteam leaders, and hopefully OA addresses some missing HC options. I just cannot see any real life squad leaders capable of the amount of detail commanding in the fashion you try.

Also check out enableAIFeature.

A squad of 19? :yikes: I'd say that is the fail there, trying to detail command that many. Typically you'd use HC and just command the fireteam leaders, and hopefully OA addresses some missing HC options. I just cannot see any real life squad leaders capable of the amount of detail commanding in the fashion you try.

Also check out enableAIFeature.

All I was really using them for is "Go to town" and "Engage at will". Keeping enemy AI busy while I get in the back door. Sending them one at a time works better but if they spread too far from their comrades they get picked off too easily.

Here at the very beginning you can see all my men capping a town.

Found a bug for the AI gunners in the BMP2/3 and BTR90.

1. Repro steps:

Try to get a gunner to target a helicopter using the eastbloc 30mm AutoCannons mounted on BMP2/3 and BTR90.

2. Results seen: what is the bug

Any of the East block 30mm autocannon for the BMP2/3 or BTR90 will not be used by ai against enemy helicopters or air. The Ai will still engage however with the PKT. In same cases it is possible to get the AI to target the chopper while the player uses manual fire to launch an ATGM or fire the 100mm gun on the BMP3. For comparison, the AI gunner in the LAV25 will use the cannon to attack air targets without issue.

3. Desired results: how should it behave once the bug is fixed

Gunner should engage air threats with 30mm gun instead of PKT.

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/10944

The AI is hopeless in (very) close combat. They sprint around corners when the enemy is two meters away, letting you shoot them down easily. I swear my hands have been stepped on before.

An easy fix would be to force them to walk (unless they have some Move or Retreat order) when they know or think an enemy is within ten or so meters. That way they should have time to stop and engage when rounding corners, etc.

I think that AI is very good for this game considering how much they have to handle, but maybe they could make AI use high command feature, so instead of one AI commanding a whole platoon, he could command his squad leaders to do things while the squad leaders could command their fireteam leaders to do things while the fireteam leaders could command their fireteam to do things.

Maybe even in a future ArmA game you could set up chain of command without using modules, just the group link (F2).

I would be far more immersive.

My latest escapade with A.I in Arma 2 recently made me /ragequit I was driving an avenger as Blufor and had the A.I taking care of gunning. So naturally I assumed even if Engage at will didn't work all that well they'd have the sense to target the air units if I came across one right? WRONG!

I see a helicopter and immediately target the thing, the avenger aims and does absolutely nothing to prevent itself and me from being obliterated. The worst part about what happened to me and what made me rage quit was that the damn helicopter did sod all! All the scumbag player did was blast me with ground missiles after taking all the time in the world to line up the shot. It is blatantly obvious now there are two main things missing from the A.I in Arma 2.

. A sense of what is in front of them, A.I driving is still extremely bad, anything that takes even the slightest bit of co-ordination like making a U-Turn in a road after hitting a rock will take several minutes for the A.I to figure out

. A sense of self-preservation, the A.I seriously needs to feel a need to keep itself alive in a combat situation, most of the mistakes made are just down to sheer stupidity and not caring about the lives of themselves or allies a targeting system won't cut it if there is no urgency in aiming. Danger should make them smarter not dumber, I find all it is is aware but with the silly movement going on where they attempt to stay in cover only to get run over by a rampaging tank that can easily be seen by any player.

I hate to say it Bohemia but even mainstream A.I is raping Arma 2 right now, at least the mainstream games make sure what they put is at least half-functional when they put it out on sale. I'm getting sick to death of wanting to have the A.I do my driving for me or my gunning for me and getting punished for it for no reason when you claim it is one of your most advanced features in the game.

My latest escapade with A.I in Arma 2 recently made me /ragequit I was driving an avenger as Blufor and had the A.I taking care of gunning. So naturally I assumed even if Engage at will didn't work all that well they'd have the sense to target the air units if I came across one right? WRONG!

I see a helicopter and immediately target the thing, the avenger aims and does absolutely nothing to prevent itself and me from being obliterated. The worst part about what happened to me and what made me rage quit was that the damn helicopter did sod all! All the scumbag player did was blast me with ground missiles after taking all the time in the world to line up the shot. It is blatantly obvious now there are two main things missing from the A.I in Arma 2.

. A sense of what is in front of them, A.I driving is still extremely bad, anything that takes even the slightest bit of co-ordination like making a U-Turn in a road after hitting a rock will take several minutes for the A.I to figure out

. A sense of self-preservation, the A.I seriously needs to feel a need to keep itself alive in a combat situation, most of the mistakes made are just down to sheer stupidity and not caring about the lives of themselves or allies a targeting system won't cut it if there is no urgency in aiming. Danger should make them smarter not dumber, I find all it is is aware but with the silly movement going on where they attempt to stay in cover only to get run over by a rampaging tank that can easily be seen by any player.

I hate to say it Bohemia but even mainstream A.I is raping Arma 2 right now, at least the mainstream games make sure what they put is at least half-functional when they put it out on sale. I'm getting sick to death of wanting to have the A.I do my driving for me or my gunning for me and getting punished for it for no reason when you claim it is one of your most advanced features in the game.

Agreed. I think BIS is to busy with fixing that damn performance. If people cant run the game, buy new computers. Now fix more of the AI!

I don't think they should stop patching game performance though they should make A.I the second highest priority on their list of things to fix up.

There is nothing wrong with the engine by itself but there are plenty of things that are annoying about it, the context menu in particular pisses me off especially as commander since it seems to hate me and doesn't act like a context menu should most of the time.

Agreed. I think BIS is to busy with fixing that damn performance. If people cant run the game, buy new computers. Now fix more of the AI!

See, an intelligent person would realize that performance effects AI and vise versa. Improvements to performance = more room for AI to improve.

As for the guy with the previous post. Did you give the gunner the order to fire?

How about stopping new ai that should be grouped together (because they are in a vehicle) from filling random slots in your AI control..

Example. I had a bad time in a town. Lots of soldiers died. Some I had to disband to end their suffering. So I buy 2 new tanks loaded. The drivers are in slots 2 and 8 the gunners are together at 9 and 10 and the commanders are in 13 and 15.. WHAT A PAIN IN THE ASS!!..

I mentioned this before but I will do it again. PLEASE make it so a vehicle with ai has only ONE icon on the bar. That icon can expand upward when selected to show individual AI (Driver, Gunner, Passengers) that can then be selected. So if I had one tank I would have one icon.. press f2 it expands then I can press f2, f3 or f4 and select the individual.

I understand your pain, but cant you control the tank with only one member from each tank (regardless of unit's role)??

I understand your pain, but cant you control the tank with only one member from each tank (regardless of unit's role)??

Yes but first off I have no idea which AI is which tank because all it shows is a steering wheel. I would need to look at the tank on screen and press space. Map view is horrible with the number stacking you cant tell who is in a vehicle if its 4,11,15 and you should always give move commands to just the drivers incase your tank is unlocked the gunners don't get out and try to hoof it. Also 99% of the time you want to set your drivers to safe and gunners to danger so they get places and shoot things with absolute efficiency.

Here is what I would like to see

AILayout2.jpg

Same setup could be used with a squad leader as the main and all the subordinates collapsed. So I could just send groups in with 1 key press.

and moreso with a color code system like this..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/F12Bwth2/Forums/AILayoutColors-1.jpg

Edited by ZeosPantera

Now that looks good, i must admit. Like you said you would be able to use fireteam leaders more efficiently, i like it, would this be a something possible to mod?