Sign in to follow this  
dayglow

Ai thread

Two simple suggestions from me:

1). Somehow AI in Urban environment should stay away from going prone in the middle of a street right in the open. In one of the latest clip BIS showed deployment of russian specops unit in a city. There was a machinegunner that just walked in the middle of the street and went prone right in the center lane. There should be a condition set for AI rule of engagement when in Combat or Aware mode - they should move along protected area away from the centre of a street. Street sidewalks, along building walls? It goes back to the issue of more human behavior - right now they move around like telepathicly controlled zombies with little regard to whats going on around. They don't move from cover to cover - straight on, from waypoint to waypoint.

2). AI shouldn't be able to rotate/spin around on the belly in prone position. It's humanly impossible. The same goes for upright stance - they rotate along their vertical axis like a tank, on a spot. Different animation should be applied here - side-step to change orientation or similar.

I don't think it's impossible to turn while going prone, you just have to lift up a bit to relieve friction. Arn't soldiers trained at doing this very well? (all those push-ups i would assume)

I was thinking about how BIS could implement suppressive fire the other day.

My idea:

Choose your machine gunner  "F ?" then go to 'engage' or 'action' in the command menu and then have an option to 'suppress'. Once selected you right click and draw a window around the area you want him to fire on.

You could use a hot key to turn suppression on or off.

This is some very neat idea actually. It'd be great if BI would take a look at this after 5 years smile_o.gif

To repeat some things already mentioned.

IMHO please fix

1: Auto reveal targets at night

2a: AI should "see" bushes, trees and foliage so one could hide behind them, players are affected by them, but not the AI.

2b: AI should be affected by smoke grenades and such.

3: Helicopter pilots should use the strength of the helicopter being able to fly low and take the terrain as cover.

4a: Use cover such as sandbags or walls to their advantage instead of just laying down.

4b: And if they are behind cover and in a group an AI leader shouldn't shout "engage that man" which leads to the soldier being sent to certain death.

4c: If engaging and "danger" "keep low" has been issued the AI should not stand up and run towards the predicted target, instead he should move and try to search for the target cautiously.

5: AI pathing in narrow spaces, take Rahmadi for example.

its impossible for AI soldiers to manoeuvre between the houses or walk into the openings in the walls, instead they are just running round them. It seems the AI also has problems now to move between openings in sandbag walls.

6: Being smart enough to grab weapons and ammo, for example if the M136 guy dies some other soldier should take the weapon from him.

7a: AI being able to move to house locations.

Again, Rahmadi, the "move to house position #4" They get there but never "Ready" This would be great because then we could make missions indoors, or having units patrolling inside houses and then come out again.

7b: And the pier, they rather drown instead of walking out on it.

Which is a shame because then we couldn't have our ship next to the pier and having AI units board them.

8: Driving vehicles as mentioned, if I tell a driver to go to a position I didn't mean he would get stuck into a building or bounce the vehicle around so it tips over, or driving into other vehicles and the fatal mid-air collisions with helicopters.

</list>

I also agree on the suppressive fire idea!

With all MG's be it a SAW or a helicopter MG.

This command should naturally not only be commanded by players, there should be some setting or order which the AI leaders can shout too.

apparently the vision of the ai is impaired by concealment in the current version of ARMA 2, seems to be getting quite close to complete.

a A.i suggestion would be for Bis to take a look at how you control troops and what they can do in brothers in arms games.

They got some cool little features here and there even if the game feels like a rainbow six / ghost recon version of world war 2 biggrin_o.gif

I think this point is a must for AI improvement:
VI

- AI behavior should depend on the weapon he is holding. Rifleman can run, stand up and lie down fast - but a machine-gunner has to place his MG and engage from where he is - less movement and more fire support. The same thing for AT, marksman and sniper.

Specially for MGs.

Cya.

Why?

As long as AI doesn't understand that he has to haul his carcass for 5 meters more to be able to engage enemy (or even have change for it) it's pretty lame feature. Basically in hilly or forested area MG would be out of contact to enemy most of the time. Getting just lucky shots here and there.

I've seen enough broken squad structure in hilly terrain, while few takes frontal slope of hill and some takes backward slope of hill, and few takes top of hill. Result is broken squad with broken firepower.

You are right @second - if sniper, AT or MG has no shot position - he kind of misses the battle. But they could move slowly and covered into fire position. Without the rest of formation. More separatly.

The fight AI VS Player has the simple problem -

the player always spots the moving AI formation- and has the best chances to kill them all. And they always move toghether.

If only one squard member would take the role of overwatch and spotter - every player would have less chances to wipe out a squard in seconds. There would be a "surprise".

The PK wight is about 30 kg with ammunition and second barrel - you simply don't run around on the battlefield. But it has a great range and good supress capability.

And as combat sniper or spotter you keep your distance to the rest of the squard. It is just not yur job to storm ahead with assault infantry.

i hear the Warefare maps are gonna play a big part in ArmA 2, i was hoping better doctrine for the AI, like use combined arms and coordinate with one another, also the Ofpfor uses real military tactics (russian/soviet), and bluefor use US tactics,

My main issue with the AI and i hope they fix it, is how the AI shoots. Sometimes if an AI spots me from 100's of meters away and one shot BAM! dead. I hate the fact that they techincally use an aimbot. Even if i am behind a wall the AI will still follow me. He knows right where i am so if i try to go around him he already knows.

My main issue with the AI and i hope they fix it, is how the AI shoots. Sometimes if an AI spots me from 100's of meters away and one shot BAM! dead. I hate the fact that they techincally use an aimbot. Even if i am behind a wall the AI will still follow me. He knows right where i am so if i try to go around him he already knows.

About spotting. It's not that simple. You just fall into AI's pretty unique trick. It doesn't see you and it doesn't know where you are. It just calculates where you might be. As a clear and practical example watch how your yellow/orange target marker on screen moves. That is the same way how AI calculates these things. Oh and remember: they do hear gunshots and footsteps and by hearing they can predict where you are.

AI is very human-like in this, which is definedly one of those less known but great aspects of ArmA/OFP AI.

AI accuracy can tweaked by personal taste (shame there is not official instructions for it slammed at each players taste). I believe Maruk said that AI will get lower default stats this time. Which is fine.

Try lowering their precision values and maybe adding some mods will help. I've set my 'enemy precision' to .40 for Cadet and .45 for Veteren.

I'm also an unrepentent mod-masher and having combined ECS,SLX,Xam as well as  Truemods and the Six_Sense packs have finally found a really exciting AI that sprays fires when I'm hidden rather just wait for a clear shot. I've actually had a squad on squad battle outside Cayo that lasted 45 minutes and was exciting as hell the whole time.

Hi, i always founded very annoying how the T.Leaders or higher than

grunt, units form behind me when im the S.Leader in a group; i'll like

to see that the AI keep the group structure intact instead break it

as it does now in the ArmA.

Rightnow we can't form like this (in a group):

S.Leader - S. Autoweap - S. Nader - S. ATweap -- T.Leader - MGGunner - ATWeap - Marksman.

We can't keep that structure because the AI puts all the high ranks

at the begining breaking any squad formation or splitting up the

fire teams in a very unefective way that delays considerably the

process of give accurate orders to the AIs at your command.

That should change; it really sucks very, veeery.. much... . Let's C ya

Enemies that take cover! god..

When an enemy gets fired at, at, and they are right nearby a wall, they should make a dash for it.

Hi, today i've try to make a very small firefight in an addon island,

ordering my 3 AIs to go to the weapons/ammo boxes that they had

in front at few metters; we had a tall wall in front of us, and what

they did...?? they runned arround the walls structure (like 45m long

and 12m from side to side) to reach the weapons crates that they

had at 4m away. Then, they took the weapons (thru the 80cm thick wall)

and (obviously) when i ordered 'em to enter again in formation... they

runned back the whole structure.

Seven minutes took the whole thing with the time compresion at x4.

After this... we proceed to the contact point with the OPFOR AIs;

some OPFOR units passed (running) at the side of my AI mates

while my AIs looked (aimed) at 'em, and then looked in the opposite

direction to turn 180 degrees again and then engage the OPFOR

AI units.

The resoult of all this, was two of my AI mates dead and i saving

the remaining AI unit ass while he keept doing all this weird stuff,

until that i died and 30secs before he did it. Solve all this too, please. Let's C ya

i just want situational animations, many of the things listed here are done to some expect even with ofp. Even getting the AI to lean and roll. I just want to AI to be able to cycle through more animations that are conditional and based on situational parameters.

I'd love to see the techniques described in

implemented in future versions of ArmA.

Think out of the box!

Better AI awareness eg. and some kind of subskills eg. AI pilots are "aces of the sky" but on the ground they only have pretty basic skills. (Would be nice if cockpits and tank seats are that tight like irl so there is no room for MGs, ATs, AAs, Sniper rifles etc.)

Improved AI tactics eg. better attacking and retreating, search and use of proper places to observe the terrain, using objects as cover and fire positions.

Better AI pathfinding eg so they dont get stuck on obstacles anymore, infantry/civilians should always (default setting) go on left/right side of roads and streets.

AI should be aware and use additional ammo/weapons/medpack in their backpacks and on the combat area. VFAI Addon for ArmA shows it.

AI should follow commands eg. "Dont fire", "Stealth". If there is a threat they should communicate it and request for open fire.

AI formations less static (with leader running in front of them icon_rolleyes.gif) - more depending on terrain and situation and more covering each other.

Hope we will see + play Arma2 with really upgraded and highly improved AI !

I'd love to see the techniques described in
implemented in future versions of ArmA.

Think out of the box!

That would be great, I just don't like the grid thing as it's specifically for homogeneous crowds.

I.e. crowds who all have the same mindset.

It would be great for free-roaming games such as GTA and Mafia though.

Maybe it could be implemented in an even different way, where each individual bot computes it's own dynamic grid, instead of a fixed grid with dynamic changes.

It could finally mean that bots will drive on the right side of the road, literally and figurally.

i Just Hope they fixed the A.I to allow vehicles in a group to move together on a road like a convoy . cuz i remember in ArmA all the vehicles would first would go off road and then go back on to the road and then try to pass and hit each other as if it was a race for a million bucks!! tounge2.gif

i Just Hope they fixed the A.I to allow vehicles in a group to move together on a road like a convoy . cuz i remember in ArmA all the vehicles would first would go off road and then go back on to the road and then try to pass and hit each other as if it was a race for a million bucks!!  tounge2.gif

I was hoping that the AI would have knowledge about (basic) traffic rules such as traffic signs and traffic lights recognition, right of way, sticking on the right side of the road, distance keeping (here's a part of your convoy) and maximum speeds.

Something which should have been in Operation Flashpoint is danger recognition and evasive manouvers.

This way you could have correctly simulated civillian automobilist behavior aswell as convoys.

Mafia is a great example, it even has direction lights which automatically turn on if your steer in that direction.

For simulators such as Virtual Battlespace 2 this could prove a very important feature.

Hi, will be great too if the AI were able of swift to reverse gear with

the tanks or any other vehicle. Let's C ya

Would be great if the AI could actually park cars and use the reverse gear properly.

They do use the reverse gear in Operation Flashpoint when turning around.

Would be great if the AI could actually park cars and use the reverse gear properly.

Well the engine now has centimetre precision so it should be posible.

Hi, also will be great if the AI dare to follow the given orders, now

in the ArmA, when you're the commander of tank or even the Team

Leader of a squad, if you order the AI to cease or hold fire, they

don't do it; as tank commander the crew holds the fire for like a

second. Also only the AI on wheeled vehicles use a bit the reverse

gear, to turn better and keep advancing, but they don't really use

reverse gear on tanks or for more than 3m in wheeled vehicles.

Booth things are really bad and make it easyer for you or 'em to

get killed.

Also the AI refuses to advance slowly if you've the (advance) Slow

mapped into the Right Shift Key, they just don't recognice the thing,

they don't do nothing. This is off topic but i'll like it to change; i'll

like to be able of map the Right Control Key, for example to run,

that's how i had it configured in the OFP, but rightnow i can't

go Fast on ground vehicles due that the Fast = Double Up Arrow

Key don't works, so i can only drive at normal speed or go slow

using the Right Shift Key, that works for me but not for order the

AI to do it. Let's C ya

Hi, will be very good if the AI don't turns On the lights on the ground

vehicles if the Team Leader or unit in charge leaves the vehicle,

because then happens things like this:

silly_BIS_AI.jpg

As you can see... that's me standing outside the vehicle filled with

retarded AI mates that turn On the lights no matters if their "supposed

behaviour" is: Combat, Stealth or Aware. The AI in the ArmA turns

the lights On in the ground vehicles inmediatly when they don't have

a human driver or an AI driver; so you or the OPFOR AI don't need

the flares or any visual enhancer (NVGs for example) to locate

where an AA vehicle is "hiding", doing a guard or whatever.

Change that please, allow only the AI to turn On the lights when

they're in the "safe" behaviour and also add a radio command for

order 'em to turn the lights On or Off, that will be very usefull too.

Let's C ya