Sign in to follow this  
dayglow

Ai thread

Tanks should be hesitant to move into areas without having some friendly infantry nearby - armor unsupported by infantry is generally vulnerable to AT ambushes and such, so it would be cool if there was some way of making AI tank commanders keep their armor close to friendly infantrymen. Ideally the infantry should be out front while the tanks hang back a bit.

I do not think that is a good idea.

Restricting an AI unit's ability to move can have very annoying consequences for mission builders. As a general rule you might be right about amour overwatching infantry movement, but you can easily imagine situations where such tactics would not be a good idea.

When you are squad leader having "overwatch" units is already possible when you use the "stay back" radio command. But that option is solely based on the distance between the overwatch unit and team leader and not on terrain features - so it is a bit dumb. Maybe if that command function could be altered, so that the overwatch unit would try to catch up when the advancing unit disappears from sight... ? rock.gif

BTW: I played Joint Ops lately and I now think AI units will play an even very a important role in OFP2 MP games. The reason is, people will want to use very powerful weapons like tanks and sniper rifles. For other players who have to pose as infantry men getting constantly shot this way can be very frustrating. The only solution to that problem - without reducing realism - is to have AI units in MP games.

Also, AI units will make better teammates than most human players. Sad but true. sad_o.gif

I have been playing with AI in coops a lot longet than you may think. They are fantastic for holding ground and doing mundane jobs. My favourite missions are large combined arms missions that focus on players leading AI squads.

I have an idea that is exactly in line with the suppressive fire, fear idea.

CEM. AA has it, OFP can use it and change it to make it more realistic.

If you are firing at an enemy soldier, he should become more anxious and scared, thus, you have "suppressive fire".

It`ll be awesome to lean out from behind a wall or a vehicle.

Just like in Splinter Cell, but more easily.. OFP is FPP game.

How will the spec op missions look then? Imo GREAT.

And what about AI lean ability? (Just like in Call of Duty)

It`ll make the CQB battles longer and more spectacular.

With condition one shot one death ofcourse... it`ll be very nice.

id like to c more crouching than proning in the ai

say if ai sees an enemy unit they will not prone if that means the enemy is out of sight they wiull crouch instead

they will only prone if the target is still on their sights

and if u fire first... then they go prone thus taking cover..?

not a easy task i think....

if would look funny if they only crouch when they get ambushed.. instead of going prone.

Have you seen the latest Brothers-in-Arms movie? (more to find on http://www.brothersinarmsgame.com/d-6.asp)

I must say, the squad behaviour system is pretty impressive and could suit well into an infantry-based OFP evironment where close quarter battles might be playing a bigger role as they do now.

One AI-related feature of BiA which interests me most is the combination of real military tactics and ai squad maneuvering under fire. Watch the movie and you'll see what I mean ;)

Would there be any opportunity to get these things into the OFP-world? Possible problems might occur as OFP is considered a "virtual battlefield" and thus isn't solely focused on infantry combat.

Yeah what you also see in BIA are hand signals

I would like to see this, that would be cool so once a commander says "Squad move to" he will show his hand aiming to that direction.

Quote[/b] ]I would like to see this, that would be cool so once a commander says "Squad move to" he will show his hand aiming to that direction.

Imagine to be able to control the fingers also. wink_o.gif

just a hint smile_o.gif

FINALY, i can post.

What i really need for OFP2 is a totaly

improved AI engine.

As it is now the AI´s used on their own

are great. But the AI used togeather with

LivePlayer are TOTAL IDOITS.

I will also expect the AI to behave the same way

in my command as on his own.

Now, what the heck am i talking about. wink_o.gif

Well, if i use AI in M1A1 3AI in crew, it works like

a dream(almost tounge_o.gif )

But if i am sitting in gunners place or in drivers

place the others in crew(AI) acts like "WTF am

i supposed to do??!??!!!??"

EX: Im sitting on Airstrip on Everon, in M1A1,

as gunner. I point at map on Montingac, the

AI turnes the vehic around and drives straight

into the ocean. Or straight into static forest

and keeps bumpin it like "I can, i can, really i can"

OR: Im playing a CTI and orders a AH64.

Now i whant to get in as gunner, using AI

as pilot. NOT POSSIBLE, AI pilot doesent

even take of.

All i will expect of OFP2 is

a Normal AI behavior.

To do the same in my

command as on his own.

Everything else is just a bonus

since OFP allready is the best game EVER

unclesam.gif

I'd like different behaviours for different kinds of squads.

Particularly, I'd like a "formation" for SOF units and scout/snipers where each bloke followed the one in front of him at a ten metre interval.

Supressive fire should work (the maps should have more cover on them so the AI has something to cower behind in terror), as should IAD's.

I'd generally like it all to be a bit more fluid. Rather than just keeping station in a formation I'd like each AI soldier to give some thought to where he is and what he's doing. They should move to cover more readily when you're getting shot at (because the current default behaviour is often just about the worst possible thing they could be doing).

I think for FIBUA/MOUT the easiest thing to do would be to designate bits of the map as being "built up" and switch over to a more appropriate set of AI responses.

The AI should do fire and manouvre stuff (i.e. split it's squad into teams and leapfrog them).

The default mode of movement should be walk.

Tree!

One simple thing that imo should be fixed is the problem with ai units running into eachothers and the players line of fire all the time while in combat. Basicly they should stick to their assigned position in the formation better. The only exception to that would be when the group is engaged in close combat, then the units could move more freely (preferably working in pairs to support each other) or when the soliders can´t keep his position because he´s under fire and need to seek cover.

Speaking of close combat, it would be very cool with hand-to-hand combat too. Maybe the ai could sometimes use knifes, the riflebutt and shovels and such when they get really close to the enemy.

Another nice thing would be to be able to easily use well coordinated fire and movement within groups with simple commands. Dunno what the proper term for this is in english but in sweden there´s something called "växelvis framryckning" and that would be very useful in many situations. Basicly the group form a line and split in two teams (left and right flank) and one of the teams advance rapidly forward about 20 meters (the distance is ofcourse depending on terrain, cover etc) or so towards the enemy while the other team provide suppressive fire on the enemy. When the first team has reached their new position the second team advance 20 meters infront (ofcourse keeping to their flank) of the first team while they in turn provide suppressive fire to support the second team. This alternating fire and movement between the two teams is continued until the group has defeated the enemy or until they are so close to the enemy that they can engage in close/hand-to-hand combat. This could also be implemented to work between groups and even with pairs of soldiers working together to support each others advancement or retreat.

It's called fire (team) manouvre, or moving in bounds, or pepper potting.

It would be a great thing to see, yes. Typical distance between bounds is much, much shorter than 20m in British Army, though- 5 steps maximum or 3 seconds between being prone and being prone again.

... but in sweden there´s something called "växelvis framryckning" and ...

Bouding Overwatch?

Though this was suggested a few times among with ability to split your squad into independent fire teams. As far as I can remember some of your ideas about close combat can be also found here.

Dunno if this belongs to here, but I would like to see to have possibility to make something like AI plug-in addons with configs/scripts which then could be integrated into general AI system allowing community to make their own "set of tactic rules and doctrines" for armies round the world.

Edit: Ow, I was a bit slow. Now in Barons's remark about British army you can see some example of things I meaned to describe in last paragraph Sorry my silly English. crazy_o.gif

You can sort of do it at the moment if you split your squad into teams (it's 9, 9, 1 etc. on the command menu).

The AI should do that too though.

You can sort of do it at the moment if you split your squad into teams (it's 9, 9, 1 etc. on the command menu).

The AI should do that too though.

No, its not anything like it. It should be fast, aggressive and fluid. Humans can do it in MP, but AI can't be told to do it fast enough - the delay in the radio giving orders and then the AI responding to them is too slow for this, and you'd have to give 2 or 3 orders for each bound.

It's called fire (team) manouvre, or moving in bounds, or pepper potting.  

It would be a great thing to see, yes.  Typical distance between bounds is much, much shorter than 20m in British Army, though- 5 steps maximum or 3 seconds between being prone and being prone again.

I guess 20 meters was a bit over the top but hey it was such a long time since i did this in irl so my estimation of the distance is a bit clouded, but as i said it all depends on the terrain, cover etc and is very fluid biggrin_o.gif Anyways when we used "växelvis framryckning" when advancing we didn´t go prone all the time either, we often just kneeled and fired to keep the speed and momentum up and to be able to actually fire at the enemy at all times when supporting. But this was mostly done in the thick forests with rough terrain in Sweden. Going prone and running a much shorter distance is ofcourse preferable in a desert or on an open field of grass or something where cover is rather spares.

I guess 20 meters was a bit over the top but hey it was such a long time since i did this in irl so my estimation of the distance is a bit clouded, but as i said it all depends on the terrain, cover etc and is very fluid biggrin_o.gif Anyways when we used "växelvis framryckning" when advancing we didn´t go prone all the time either, we often just kneeled and fired to keep the speed and momentum up and to be able to actually fire at the enemy at all times when supporting. But this was mostly done in the thick forests with rough terrain in Sweden. Going prone and running a much shorter distance is ofcourse preferable in a desert or on an open field of grass or something where cover is rather spares.

Yeah, it has to be flexible, kneeling if you can't see is usual here too.

perhaps if u could set a bound distance when pepperpotting? then you could press advance and delta fireteam will move forward the distance you set and then drop down and cover charlie fireteams movement? Also they should zigzag when advancing

normally one bound shouldnt be more than 10 meters at the most (or five running steps)

What I'd really like to see is morale and reaction to fire. If you're fighting a civillian militia and you let rip at them in an ambush, they'd quite likely be taken entirely by surprise and would either run off or panic. If you're fighting against a patrol of elite enemy infantry and ambush them they'd react quickly and effectively, taking cover, laying down fire, using grenades, and generally either trying to counterattack or retreat tactically.

Also, it'd be good if friendly units had an effect on unit morale. If they've got tanks and air support, enemy troops should be a little more on the brave side, and if their tanks have been knocked out before they even got to the battle, they'd be a bit wary and none too happy about it. Right now, I've seen Russian Naval Infantrymen with tonnes of ammunition and weapons, as well as three T-80Us, six BMP3s and two Hind gunships supporting them turning tail and running because I fired some 203 bombs at them and injured a couple of them rock.gif

whoever said about having plugins to simulate different armys doctrines has quite a good idea. that would be nice if you could do that. one step further is you would only activate it with certain units so british units would do x whereas unit x does y because its american or similair

Jus a few suggestions :

2 kinds of "weapon from back" action,

like somebody said before, there must be a safe mode of this action and simply "under fire" - the faster one.

AI must recognize the situation, and use the proper action.

A small idea witch voice friendly-enemy recognize.

If you`re in the forest (like in cold war campaign) and hear/see "unknown" soldier you can jus yell "who is that". Even if he is from different squad he`ll answer, if not...hmmm it`s time to "let the gun to the talkin`g"

What I've noticed today, is that the AI is still firing on tanks, even if they are just in the middle of the whole group. In most cases this means more then half of the group is dead after that, inculding me sad_o.gif

AI after the "rearm" command should take as much ammo as it need, without stupid "/2/ take magazine from truck/, /2/ take magazine from truck/ (...)

in OFP 2 it would be cool if you can get close to AI and cut his throat with knife   biggrin_o.gif  it weould be good for missions with special forces  biggrin_o.gif or you can hit him with boyonet or something ;) but i dont want ai to turn to you when you got like 10 meters from him sad_o.gif but when you run he will turn