Sign in to follow this  
dayglow

Ai thread

Okay, I know this is a terrible game series to make an example of because of the horrid AI, but Delta Force: Black Hawk Down did hit on one good Idea, but executed it poorly. Certain foes, when surprised with fire, would duck and cover their head, and just spray bullets wildly. The problem was, they did it too often, and stayed crouched for up to 12 seconds, which was ample time to run up and shoot them point-blank in the head. It would be nice if in OFP2 some soldiers had a coward-personality that would make them behave this way when surprised with fire.

Oooh, 'nother bright Idea... I know everybody has hit on this just a bit, but I have a major gripe with machine gunner AI. Machine gunners are WAY too accurate shooters, at least on the first shot. The first one or two bullets are just dead on, more accurate even than infantry with light rifles, but the next 10 to 20 bullets go right over your head. They just don't adjust for recoil. Skilled machine-gunners line up on target and fire in short, repeated bursts of 2 to 5 rounds, unless laying down cover fire. Support weapons are awkward to handle and the first shot, even from a skilled machine gunner, is rarely dead-on. That's why they fire in repeated controlled bursts, because on top of the gun's natural bullet dispersion, there's additional dispersion from the way the gun handles.

Yet again, another comment

Okay, I've noticed that enemy AI prioritize targets not only on Unit type, but how many effective that unit has been. As the player, you can rack up many kills quickly. If you are a standard Soldier, the enemy will try to take you out before concentrating on other basic Soldiers. This is realistic. In a fire fight, if one enemy is rapidly laying to waste you're squad, you concentrate your fire more on him. HOWEVER, after one engagement is over, if you run into another group of enemy soldiers, they seem to know right off how effective you were in the last engagement. I'm not too experienced in coding or anything, but maybe you could set a timer for the AI percieved effeciency of a unit. Also, (and I have no idea how you could code this) but if you switch positions in a fire-exchange, (and this is supposing the enemy didn't track your movement) the AI shouldn't be able to recognize you as the same unit that was laying waste to their squad earlier, from the other position.

Secondly- AI fire through foliage.

AI should be able to see through foliage. BUT: only when they are in or near the foliage. Presently, a soldier can be 10 or more ft. away from a bush between you an him, and he can still pick you off. (It seems to be the machine gunner more than any other unit that does this)

I'd really like to see bailed out tank crews, actually run away from their vehicles before they explode. Now, if they get out of their tank becuase it's damaged, the just sit there waiting to get killed when it eventually explodes. Usually, you can't get far enough away from it before it does blow, but they could atleast try to save their own lives. biggrin_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

I'd like to see tanks point their most armored end at the enemy. Like in a retreat, they would be backing up. Of course this also ties in to armor tanks have(More on front, less on back).

Machine gunners are WAY too accurate shooters, at least on the first shot.  The first one or two bullets are just dead on, more accurate even than infantry with light rifles,

I second that, if you place a enemy infantry squad and a sniper has player in the editor, the moment you start killing them the machine gunner will return fire with extreme acuracy while the others just prone and crawl around, i think this happens because BIS in response to request from some players have increased the acuracy on the M60/PK making it a more acurate weapon while it should have been made more powerfull rock.gif , it makes sense to have the machine gunner supressing the enemy while the other soldiers try to advance on the enemy but they are just too acurate now.

Yet again, another comment

Okay, I've noticed that enemy AI prioritize targets not only on Unit type, but how many effective that unit has been.  As the player, you can rack up many kills quickly.  If you are a standard Soldier, the enemy will try to take you out before concentrating on other basic Soldiers.  This is realistic.  In a fire fight, if one enemy is rapidly laying to waste you're squad, you concentrate your fire more on him.  HOWEVER, after one engagement is over, if you run into another group of enemy soldiers,  they seem to know right off how effective you were in the last engagement.  I'm not too experienced in coding or anything, but maybe you could set a timer for the AI percieved effeciency of a unit.  Also, (and I have no idea how you could code this) but if you switch positions in a fire-exchange, (and this is supposing the enemy didn't track your movement) the AI shouldn't be able to recognize you as the same unit that was laying waste to their squad earlier, from the other position.

I don't think it is caused by effectiveness of unit, rather I think AI simply targets the unit which shot first (which is player in 95% cases). Try let the shooting to AI and you'll be propably targeted last.

I hate the way AI Choppers crash into each other, makes some mission impossible,

better driving, i hate the way the spin on a road when a groupe of trucks drive

i've been told that's how they drive in 'danger' mode

just in case there's mines on the road, so they drive on the road as little as poss.

i wish the ai wouldn't run into your line of fire while you're shooting for a long period of time. when shooting in a gun emplacement or shooting a m60, ai soldiers have a tendency to run in front of me, and then i get the credit for a friendly kill.

AI doesn't shoot turned out tank crews, this should be fixed.

There's a good command in original OFP: Take Cover. When ordered, soldiers go behind trees and bushes and really use the environment as cover. But they don't move : In OFP2 they could stay (about) in formation when you move, but move from cover to cover. Also when suppressed enemy could Take Cover. Is there anyway in original OFP to use that command in script (1-8 Take Cover)?

I know a good idea or two.

ANIMATIONS:

Patrol animations that are more like the ones in ghost recon with the gun around the waste and them looking around. The ability to shoot from riding animations such as in the back of the ural or 5t truck or in the side of a car or jeep without windows. You would be shooting at any car chasing you and the guy in the jeep behind you would be shooting at you. The legs still work when shot its just that you limp so that should be fixed. Soldiers should only crawl when their legs are shot off. Last but not least, animations should be more flexible, tanks should be able to walk and soldiers should be able to roll.

1. Heavy enemy fire. A large assault. The sergeant has been hit on the head and two others have not legs. The team members will look them. The order comes from the radio. "All units, move, move, move!". But the whole squad will only lie down waiting for the death.

2. Black-op mission. 3 members in the team. Radio silence. Every of those 3 guys will do what they look is the best, and the commander will not give orders. Mission is: destroy the tanks. Commander doesn't say orders in every second, like "1, put satchel charges at 0 35". They know their mission and do it without any order.

3. Team members will call themselfs with the names, like: "Fuck! Tommy is hit right to the head! Medic! Oh shit! He's dead. Tommy is dead."

4. I think the soldiers didn't have "walkie-talkie's" at the beginning of -70's, so they "speaked" the commands.

5. Big battle; heads down and to the bush. The soldiers are humans, not killer-robocops, and they will run away, come angry, etc.

6. Patrol at the forest. Soldiers are keeping low, looking around, that's really scary, when you never can't know, when there comes hot steel from the bush.

The squad leader keeps up the morale of the squad. when the sergeant is hit, the squad understants what's going on, and how weak the human life is.

Älkää jääkö tuleen makaamaan! wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I'd like to see tanks point their most armored end at the enemy. Like in a retreat, they would be backing up. Of course this also ties in to armor tanks have(More on front, less on back).

If you've played Steel Beasts, the AI driver does this, when you the player are in the Commander or Gunner positions, and your tank's engaged.

Abilitie to use enemy vehicals without being detected by the enemy A.I. right away!!! ex: you intercept a uaz and waste the driver, you and your men should be able to drive safely in enemy territory, if you get to close to the enemy they should see you and open fire, we should also be able to drive safely with a civilian car (trabant) without being detected by the enemy right away, in current OPF the moment you enter any vehical you are imediately detected has hostile, i could imagine many cool special ops missions if this feature were implemented smile_o.gif .

Such as B20, driving along in a 50 styles taxi.

I would like to see the "Laser Rule" employed by the AI so they point thier guns in the air or at the ground when a friendly unit passes I have been shot by my own AI players when I run for a forward cover position. crazy_o.gif

Also person ai is good if it's all random. wink_o.gif Freaking out and surrendering is a good idea to. wow_o.gif

I think the AI need to be able to move one way while looking another, for example, when they go around corners:

¦-------->

¦ - - - - - - - - - -

¦ -

¦ -

¦ -

¦ -

They'll move like that, rather than peeking around the corner, and then sidestepping out. When they move the way they do currently it makes it simple for anyone waiting around the corner to pick them off as they run around.

Suppressive fire is important I think, as well as individuality to the soldiers and possibly soldiers that surrender or run.

3. Team members will call themselfs with the names, like: "Fuck! Tommy is hit right to the head! Medic! Oh shit! He's dead. Tommy is dead."

4. I think the soldiers didn't have "walkie-talkie's" at the beginning of -70's, so they speaked the commands.

Let's keep in mind that in terms of Single Player, wanting all the inter-squad commands to be voiced by specific characters would end up like Vietcong.

An actor has to be hired to record all those commands, and the squad would be limited to how many actors could be hired to record all those commands, and the game would most likely have no flexibility in letting players choose squadmates.

In Vietcong, any squad-member death is a mission ending event.

If we only want one or two voices recording ALL the commands, they will sound rather unconvincing when the squad inter-communicates, and those voices would become grating in no time. I would rather hear banter in cut-scenes than not be able to choose my squadmates. And I would like to have a menu of squadmates ala Ghost Recon, as many have suggested, with varying skills that can improve during missions, but can still end up KIA and not be a mission ending event.

I believe having a squadmate pick up a special weapon should require a player order in most cases, especially under fire. Much like having a medic treat a wounded soldier should require an order if that soldier is still in an enemy field of fire. If the immediate firefight is over, it would be nice to have a script- even if it causes a load-hang, that would have the medic treat all wounds while all the soldiers resupplied and cleaned up their inventory. At that point, soldiers assigned as "riflemen" without special weapons could automatically be re-equipped with a fallen comrades LMG, AA-unit, AT unit, etc. Priority for the re-equip list could be mission-specific. That is, if you need those satchel charges for the mission, someone will grab them, and the player isn't forced to stand around for half an hour managing inventory one order at a time.

IMO, picking up enemy equipment should not be a part of an auto-script, particularly in a Vietnam setting, where the audible difference between weapon reports is so noticable and combat relevant. I believe setting up a means of resupply of original ammo is vital, be it helo-resupply, or a specified map location. Squadmates should not be forced to use enemy equipment, even if the player character decides to do so in an attempt to confuse any AI scripting relating to weapon report (hearing an m16 report within a certain range should trigger the enemy AI to react, while a player character using an AK might not be specifically detected and responded to until LOS was breached or an enemy hit was scored). Using stolen enemy equipment should really only be advantageous in covert ops, IMO.

Many people have covered these things to some degree, as well as suppresive fire- which I can only imagine is very difficult to implement, but is essential to immersion and tactics. Suppressive fire of various kinds could be attached to a fairly simple "emotional" model. If an enemy AI is pinned down by suppressive fire, and makes x number of attempts to move or return fire- but x number of rounds is sent at them within their area and they remain "suppressed", then they should break down and drop their weapon, not surrender in terms of giving your squad a prisoner they have to tote around, but they are no longer considered an effective enemy unit. There should be a similar way of dealing with enemies that run away- if they panic run a certain distance, have the game forget them completely, please. If the squad moves past "surrendered" soldiers, maybe a script could change them into bound soldiers, who lie where they are as if they were dead. If you're squad is retreating, or bypassing emotionally "surrendered" soldiers, then you shouldn't have to see or deal with them, or kill them to accomplish an objective.

The only exception might be expert enemy AI, which could pretend to be "shellshocked" as a way to sucker you into forgetting about their positition- but there are only so many times that that experience would be fun for the player, particularly if it cost them squadmates.

More thoughts later, sorry, I'm longwinded.

Better flying and moves in close quarters.

just a few ideas

Abilaty to steel uniforms andwhen getting shot at instead of staying silent AI makes a remark "oh my" but not that nice.

but only when they first get shot at or they are behimd cover realy getting suppressed.

biggrin_o.gif

I was thinking of a new mode for the AI. Between Safe and Careless.

The soldiers AI in this mode should doing some things all by them selves like, sitting down and rest, smoking a sigarette, talking to nearby soldiers and so on. All without scripting involved.

For the Civilian AI, the same thing could be done, but in a more better was, wothout scripting. The AI should wander around, talk to each other, and if near a car take it and drive around and find a pub. Stay there and return back eventually.

They should after 10pm go into houses and sleep.

All automatically. If you need to use them in a script it must be overrulable of course.

Johan