Sign in to follow this  
dayglow

Ai thread

The AI can certainly move through buildings, and have done so since Arma2, but do emphatically NOT 'fight' from buildings in any sensible manner.

-k

The AI can certainly move through buildings, and have done so since Arma2, but do emphatically NOT 'fight' from buildings in any sensible manner.

-k

They don't fight from anything. All objects are used as cover equally.

Friendly AI needs to be able to follow (more closely) without falling behind - No matter, if you have them in Diamond or Line (COMPACT). The back 2 guys fall way off - They do not allow you to operate as a small cohesive unit - You are forced to constatly have to stop and redirect them to keep yourself as a tight unit -

This is awful and especially during MOUNT Ops -

Also, elevations (differing elevations). Meaning if friendly AI is on level ground and enemy AI solider is on higher (or lower ground) accuracy levels are awful! Ridiculously awful. I've seen friendly AI fire through multiple clips and then I double back to see who they are firing on and take them out with one shot. This needs to be addressed and fixed.

Improvements to AI piloting fighter jets,they still dive bomb since OFP era.Pretty freaking weird to see them act like that and making bets if they manage to take enough altitude before the next tree or tall building.

Also AI driving(oh boy),they still stop,drive,stop,drive even when there is no danger.I don't want to mention convoys because we enter in a world of hurt.

This is a good representation of how AI drives

AI gunners in helicopter gunships are my pet peeve. The HUD is beeping with lock-on targets, and the gunner won't fire a shot. What's up with that?

He's your subordinate. You have to order him to fire. I thought that was obvious.

The AH-1z gunner is mysteriously more assertive with his cannon. Telling him to Engage At Will may change his behavior as well.

Once again after a recent mission - Friendly AI has to be able to STAY GROUPED TOGETHER AT MUCH CLOSER SPACING - It kills you in MOUNT Ops where your friendly AI end up all over the place.... (even when given Column TIGHT formations or Delta).

meade, i always have thought there should be less formation shapes (echelon, overwatch, vee and compact column are all that are necessary) PLUS a tighten and loosen formation command where a looser formation does not always run to keep up, ducks for cover etc, but a really tight (as in CQB) formation will stay with you except for leaning around corners.

meade, i always have thought there should be less formation shapes (echelon, overwatch, vee and compact column are all that are necessary) PLUS a tighten and loosen formation command where a looser formation does not always run to keep up, ducks for cover etc, but a really tight (as in CQB) formation will stay with you except for leaning around corners.

That would actually work very well. A "stay close" vs a "mind your spacing" set of commands.

Civilian police and a Guard and/or Support waypoint would be nice for rescuing civilians.

Civilian Repair Truck and Support waypoint nice for civilians whose vehicles have been bashed up trying to negotiate pathways.

The Takistani civilian ambulance and its Support waypoint already work pretty well.

The AI should definatly get a complete overhaul, evreything needs to be fixed. Infantryman need to be more agressive, but more careful at the same time (now they just kinda stand in the open... firing here or there), the vehicle AI needs to learn how to drive, and lets not get me started on pilots :/

Stop the AI from running through the walls. And realistic bullet penatration. A built in voice recognition system like in SOCOM I, II, II ect.....I'd love to able to control my team like that!

AI driving and pathfinding are the biggest issues. Countless of times i've seen AI destroy any sense of immersion when asked to drive or just move somewhere. Yesterday i ordered AI to get to a car which was 10 meters in front of it. Instead it went inside a building, up the stairs and died after falling from the balkony.

Really BIS if you could fix these two problems you would have the perfect game.

And don't forget the AI's cunning ability to spot you through trees, buildings, even hills half a kilometer away.

They need to fix the freaking AI. AI is dumb as hell. I just played BAF's 2nd mission and it made me furious!!!

The AI can't drive and get stuck every 30secs, they refuse to get in vehicles often, they disembark when i tell them to engage the enemy sometimes, and at last they didn't even follow me anymore.

I'm fed up with this! So angry right now sry.:mad:

I bought every single ArmA there is because I really like the game despite its flaws but the stupid AI makes me so god damn angry every time I try to play the campaign.

I completed OA and PMC already, but most of the time the friendly AI was totally useless and just destoyed any tactic I was trying to use by f***king up big time. The enemy AI isn't any better, they don't even take cover most of the time. They'll just go prone, even if there is hard cover 1 meters next to them. I've no military experience or anything but common sense dictates to move to hard cover if near by in case of incoming fire. I like ArmA's high level tactics AI like them doing flanking and the likes though. Just the actual combat AI seems bad.

And pls don't tell me the AI isn't scripted and therefore it's still great. Every AI is scripted to react on certain stimuli. There's no non-scripted AI in games. ArmA is no different. It just has a bigger pool of possible actions and incoming stimuli.

The AI is really flawed as of now and it needs fixing to make the game as good as it can be.

I mean I really got immersed at one point while the mission when we drove down the street in our armored vehicle and a nice music set in and I watched the mountain ranges and then the immersion got broken horribly because the AI driver decided to go off street and crash into a house 10m away from the street! Oh man...:butbut:

When will Bohemia learn that they need to fix the AI before releasing any more Addon content:confused:

Edited by MrXToTheN

I mean I really got immersed at one point while the mission when we drove down the street in our armored vehicle and a nice music set in and I watched the mountain ranges and then the immersion got broken horribly because the AI driver decided to go off street and crash into a house 10m away from the street! Oh man...:butbut:

When will Bohemia learn that they need to fix the AI before releasing any more Addon content:confused:

Yeah, AI pathfinding and driving are still glaring issues at times (mostly driving). That and not having a "move here NOW! Forget everything else and move here NOW. Get in the vehicle NOW before we all die! Stop running in circles around the chopper and GET IN NOW!!" command. The AI can be great at times, but in times like these, falls flat.

To be fair, the situation is much improved from the earlier versions that made me give the game up for a while. Like back when units were always getting stuck in combat mode, never to be a cohesive squad again. But, it still needs work in some areas.

Edited by Eclipse4349

Yeah, AI pathfinding and driving are still glaring issues at times (mostly driving). That and not having a "move here NOW! Forget everything else and move here NOW. Get in the vehicle NOW before we all die! Stop running in circles around the chopper and GET IN NOW!!" command. The AI can be great at times, but in times like these, falls flat.

This is a most needed command, I totally agree. Can't count how often my whole squad died because they did exactly what you describe.

To be fair, the situation is much improved from the earlier versions that made me give the game up for a while. Like back when units were always getting stuck in combat mode, never to be a cohesive squad again. But, it still needs work in some areas.

It is improved I let them that, but I can't understand how they keep releasing game after game (addons) without majorly improving on one of the most severe problem areas.

In companies the AI is usually done by one developer only. Therefore I don't know where he spends all his time since the AI never really seems to improve that much.

They should redo most of the AI behavior system, keeping it basic at first (only doing close quarters combat) while refining it bit by bit (adding high level tactics) and release it as a beta updates.

If they fixed their AI, the game would get muuuuch better.

This is a most needed command, I totally agree. Can't count how often my whole squad died because they did exactly what you describe.

It is improved I let them that, but I can't understand how they keep releasing game after game (addons) without majorly improving on one of the most severe problem areas.

In companies the AI is usually done by one developer only. Therefore I don't know where he spends all his time since the AI never really seems to improve that much.

They should redo most of the AI behavior system, keeping it basic at first (only doing close quarters combat) while refining it bit by bit (adding high level tactics) and release it as a beta updates.

If they fixed their AI, the game would get muuuuch better.

have you seen the latest beta? it has AI that react much better/faster to move commands as well as taking much better cover. you can also accurately command AI to take cover by corners of houses, walls etc. big improvement in my opinion.

have you seen the latest beta? it has AI that react much better/faster to move commands as well as taking much better cover. you can also accurately command AI to take cover by corners of houses, walls etc. big improvement in my opinion.

That is AMAZING news!

Way to go BIS!

AI driving is my main issue with the game, them being stupid, i can live with that, but when a lot of possibilites in mission desing are not possible because of the driving, just breaks all the inmersion.

Well all feel the same, but honestly, its REALLY REALLY

difficult to "PROGRAME" artificial inteligence..

Pathfinding is one thing that seems easy enough.

But it isnt!

You need to Programe AI to know differances, and that alone

is a lifetime work.

Then you need to define textures/layers/object.

Then you need to programe AI to be AWARE of these..

And on And on And on....

Ever since i bought OFP Gold Edition in 2000 something ive been frustrated

about the AI incompetance. But i just have to realize, it ISNT that easy to

acomplish a diverse and inteligent ComputerBot...

GTA has some good pathfinding, but that could be because there are no custom islands. The streets could be defined like rails.

I mean I really got immersed at one point while the mission when we drove down the street in our armored vehicle and a nice music set in and I watched the mountain ranges and then the immersion got broken horribly because the AI driver decided to go off street and crash into a house 10m away from the street! Oh man...

Reading through these posts always makes me laugh! :)

A built in voice recognition system like in SOCOM I, II, II ect

I remember very fondly doing this in socom. It would increase immersion I think as a squad leader, but I would probably end up yelling at my ai friends for there incompetence!!! lol

I've been pissed about the fact that since Armed Assault A.I. can walk through each other and through walls. I seem to remember the collision detection working in OFP:R.

An OFP artifact that I would like to see fixed is that most rounds from a machinegun will go wild, flying high over the target.

I tried out the realism mod for OFP: Dragon Rising and an enemy LMG would riddle the heck out of any cover you had. Definitely made you keep your head down.

I would also like to see something that decreases the accuracy of markmanship on targets as their vector of travel becomes more perpendicular to the player's line-of-sight and their speed increases. The A.I. leads moving targets too perfectly and they can calculate this lead and fire in an instant. No taking time to aim like a human does.

Another gripe is how the A.I. fires the next shoulder-fired rocket the very INSTANT that the next rocket gets loaded. So robotic.

Why doesn't the A.I. ever trip over its own feet or fumble a grenade?

"'More human than human' is our motto." --Tyrell

I can still boot up the old Unreal Tournament demo and play against bots that are indistinguishable from human players.

How about code that detects in real-time how quickly and accurately the player is firing on his targets and adjusts the enemy A.I. to perform just a little lower than that?

An OFP artifact that I would like to see fixed is that most rounds from a machinegun will go wild, flying high over the target.

agree.

Well this might be part of the Mods im using, but the machinegunners i go against, are bloody frightening. Once an AI Machine gunners gets into a good spot, i they are incredibly dangerous. Playing a mission yesterday, one machine gunner lead to me retreating an entire section twise!