Sign in to follow this  
dayglow

Ai thread

AI Warping/Lagging is an issue needed to be resolved, it can ruin what could be the most fantastic on-line experience ever.

what about when a squad leader enters a building his squad helps to secure it rather than stand outside and wait??

is there a script for that somewhere?

My 2 cents...probably posted already.

In A2OP, I wish the AI would take evasive action when fired upon. You can shoot at their position lets say with a tanks MG all day long and they will just lay there until they finally get shot. Why not run elsewhere for cover? Also, does the AI render first aid and or drag and carry their teammates to cover. Id like to see that instead of them just dying outright.

In A2OP, I wish the AI would take evasive action when fired upon. You can shoot at their position lets say with a tanks MG all day long and they will just lay there until they finally get shot. Why not run elsewhere for cover?

Yeah, it looks plain stupid when AI does not react to artillery shelling or vehicles geting blown by missile out of nowhere (i.e. fired beyond their sight/hearing range). Or when attacked with silenced weapon so they can't locate gunner.

I really liked in Brigade E5 when AI attacked by sniper at night (G36+silencer+subsonic ammo) unable to find him would divide into smaller groups moving in random directions, performing spray&pray in direction of any unknown sound, sometimes even causing friendly fire incidents because of that.

As for explosions AI could simply escape from direction of explosion or bombarded area, every man on his own, regrouping back into teams/squads after leaving danger zone.

Other thing I would like to see is my personal HATE. Inability to tell AI to ignore covering and move fast. It's infuriating when my squad gets killed, because half of them is too busy pointing their AK's at incoming BMP's, to board truck where others are waiting.

Separate orders: "move fast", where AI is covering only if they don't have movement orders, and squad leader isn't moving, and "move in cover", which would work as it works now.

Or maybe difficulty option "less independent player's squad members" which would basically downgrade player-commanded troops AI back to OFP level, giving player back full control (and responsibility) over his troops.

Edited by boota

Hi, i would like to see the vehicles with it's full crew, for example the choppers; it's kinda sad to see how an AI manned chopper, plane or plane like (the MV-22B) only haves a pilot or a gunner or door gunners but not co-pilot as they should. Even if that co-pilot AI don't do nothing more than warm the seat or spot some NME from time to time.

The choppers etc should have their full crew, pilot, co-pilot, gunner or door gunners. Let's C ya

AI switching positions within a vehicle.

AS IT IS, when I want an AI to move from a seat position in the a bradley over to the gunner position instead of just going to that position from within like the player can do, here's what happens....

- Command AI -> Move to Bradley gunner position

- AI disembarks

- AI does a pirouette

- AI falls to prone and scans horizon

- AI stands and gets coffee and some blunt wrap

- AI smokes blunt

- AI gets in a crouch, scans Horizon

- AI gets shot in the head by enemy. OR ME BECAUSE I GOT SICK OF THAT SH**!

- Command AI -> Move to Bradley gunner position

- AI disembarks

- AI does a pirouette

- AI falls to prone and scans horizon

- AI stands and gets coffee and some blunt wrap

- AI smokes blunt

- AI gets in a crouch, scans Horizon

- AI gets shot in the head by enemy. OR ME BECAUSE I GOT SICK OF THAT SH**!

You sir.. Must be a dev because that seems way too accurate to be just a user's "opinion"

please dear lord fix the driving and the tanking.
This x a million. What is with ai and driving tanks, atleast the M1A2. It's an agonizing display of how blind monkeys would drive if there was lion inside it as well. It cant drive in a straight line on the road, it swirls from side, stops, turns around, drive back, turns and swirls back while demolishing everything by the road, except for rabbits. They are some how sacred. Suddenly it will take a 90 degree turn and jet up a hillside, stop and fly back down ramming anything trying to pass it.

The Stryker is usually fine, except if there's a friendly tank swirling all over the road. Then it just rams into it, and they go into a tug of war of who can stay on the road, then they both stop, turn away, speeds up and try to overtake the other. If its the M1 then it will cut the stryker off, and once it has passed, it will suddendly break left so it's at an 90 degree angle of the road acting as a roadblock and the Stryker will ram it and the tug of war is on again.

It's like road-rage and the M1 is a drunk asshole.

You sir.. Must be a dev because that seems way too accurate to be just a user's "opinion"

haha, yea I wish sometimes I hadn't viewed what i described above, but it seems more and more like my AI troops are forming some progressively bad habits. LIKE, CAFFEINE ADDICTION!

This x a million. What is with ai and driving tanks, atleast the M1A2. It's an agonizing display of how blind monkeys would drive if there was lion inside it as well. It cant drive in a straight line on the road, it swirls from side, stops, turns around, drive back, turns and swirls back while demolishing everything by the road, except for rabbits. They are some how sacred. Suddenly it will take a 90 degree turn and jet up a hillside, stop and fly back down ramming anything trying to pass it.

The Stryker is usually fine, except if there's a friendly tank swirling all over the road. Then it just rams into it, and they go into a tug of war of who can stay on the road, then they both stop, turn away, speeds up and try to overtake the other. If its the M1 then it will cut the stryker off, and once it has passed, it will suddendly break left so it's at an 90 degree angle of the road acting as a roadblock and the Stryker will ram it and the tug of war is on again.

It's like road-rage and the M1 is a drunk asshole.

lol That's funny. I think the driving will be fixed later on down the road of Arma, but for now its just funny.

It's even more fun when the tank plays tug of war with the helicopter you're trying to get into, which usually causes the helicopter to blow up.

Here's a new one. I've been doing a warfare battle in zargabad and I have found myself alone in the town with one of the old ass ww2 military surplus tanks pursuing me. I for the life of me cannot evade this POS to get back to base. It follows me EVERYWHERE as I cruise behind walls and through buildings and all the way around the perimeter of the town and villages.

I'm even using the 3rd person so I can see above walls and around corners to make sure I'm out of this things view and that no other spotters are around. Shouldn't it be hard to aquire lone infantry targets from this tank even in open spaces because of its lack of technology? It knows exactly what buildings I go into and bombards the crap out of them even if I'm buried in a mess of building 100 meters away.

Another: I just had an easier time taking a tank out by myself and switching between driver and gunner positions all alone to clear out an area than I ever had with either me as a gunner with AI driving, or with me driving and AI gunning. Shouldn't it be the other way around? Perhaps BIS will come up with the solution of having a delay on seat position switching, HAH!! that would be hilarious.

EDIT: OMFG! I JUST had this incident where I ordered a nearby AI to get into my tank in the streets of zarg so I could torture myself letting him drive for awhile.... and what does this moron do? He moves in nice and slow, taking his time making sure he has plenty of opportunity to get shot, THEN he goes into a building and works his way to the roof faster than any time I've ever ordered them to do it! THEN HE JUMPS OFF THE ROOF NEXT TO THE TANK AND BREAKS HIS MOTHER F***ING LEGS! LOL!

Edited by NeoHazard

I wish BIS finds a way to split AI to different threads.

Example Blufor to one thread, OPFOR to one, AMBIENT wildlife, to one, INDEPENDANT to one....

AI kills the fps, like in sp, or hosting warfare, you must do this. It is not accaptable that you can bottleneck decent 4GHZ quad with AI.

I wish BIS finds a way to split AI to different threads.

Example Blufor to one thread, OPFOR to one, AMBIENT wildlife, to one, INDEPENDANT to one....

AI kills the fps, like in sp, or hosting warfare, you must do this. It is not accaptable that you can bottleneck decent 4GHZ quad with AI.

Yea seems like they're crumbling under the weight of modern technology over there. I mean, most of the time the graphics card isn't even doing half of what it should. Do they know what a graphics card is? Also, It's 2010, quad-core cpu's have been alive for years and we're still seeing problems with this program using them efficiently. It's kind of a failing system they have going on here.

Well, like they've said - more threads creates bigger overhead which I guess means higher latency and/or higher CPU usage.

Well, like they've said - more threads creates bigger overhead which I guess means higher latency and/or higher CPU usage.

Well, in last few years cpu clock and performance per Mhz didnt improve alot. Q6600 is clocked 2.4, new quads are clocked at 3, only improvement in cpu arhitecture is done just by adding more cores.

That is the case, and that will be in future.

They need to find a way to split the process to more threads, especialy AI, as it is the AI thread that kills performance.

Im shure they know this, and good for them that they are going to console market where everything is about multithreading.

Im shure they know this, and good for them that they are going to console market where everything is about multithreading.

Uh, what?

Most US casualties in War in Iraq and Afghanistan happened and happen during convoy operations. So i ask why would a game that touts ultrarealistic combat not fix the major flaw in the game that prevents vehicles from operating in a convoy. In OFP i had 12 truck convoys that worked perfectly. FIX THIS PLEASE!!! Other than that game is terrific.

Most US casualties in War in Iraq and Afghanistan happened and happen during convoy operations. So i ask why would a game that touts ultrarealistic combat not fix the major flaw in the game that prevents vehicles from operating in a convoy. In OFP i had 12 truck convoys that worked perfectly. FIX THIS PLEASE!!! Other than that game is terrific.

Agreed. You would think that pathfinding on roads should be a piece of cake - just follow the road and stick to the right. In the occasions where you need to leave the road, switch back to normal AI pathfinding until you get back again. While on the road, there are just a few simple rules to follow:

- If there's an obstacle sitting on the road, drive off and find a fast path around it.

- If there's something coming toward you, drive a little further to the right to avoid collisions. (But not completely off the road.)

- If there's something driving away from you on the same side, keep a reasonable distance based on speed. (Like in real life.)

In theory that shouldn't be too hard, though I'm obviously not privy to how the AI in Arma2 work exactly. Still, I get the feeling that they often overthink things, especially when driving.

Just a few waitUntils would help:

waitUntil {wheel completely turned left};

driver vehicle _x 'REVERSE';

waitUntil {wheel completely turned right};

driver vehicle _x 'FORWARD';

would help. Especially for large trucks.

But in general they aren't so bad, just make sure to:

1) Leave them room and time to get organized at the start.

2) Keep their speed down using forceSpeed - ends stops and twists.

3) Don't place any editor objects on the route, they seem to be completely blind for them.

4) But worst of all, make sure they don't get into a fight, all hell will break loose. Kinda breaks the whole idea of convoys.

- if there's an obstacle sitting on the road, drive off and find a fast path around it.

- if there's something coming toward you, drive a little further to the right to avoid collisions. (but not completely off the road.)

- if there's something driving away from you on the same side, keep a reasonable distance based on speed. (like in real life.)

- recognize a burning vehicle on the road as obstacle

fyp :)

Why can't the ai use the right weapon for specific targets? :mad:

Why doesn't the ai attack the enemy with the highest threat level first?

If BIS could fix these ai weakness, firefights would be damn more awesome.

I created a mission today. Tanks and infantry vs tanks and infantry. The tanks shot randomly on enemy infantry (no AT) an tanks (highest threat level!). After enemy tanks were killed the friendly tanks engaged the infantry with machine guns. But a tank has also explosive/frag ammo, so why he doesn't use it?

After enemy tanks were killed the friendly tanks engaged the infantry with machine guns. But a tank has also explosive/frag ammo, so why he doesn't use it?

It's not just "the right tool for the right job" thing. AI can't use different types of ammunition for one weapon at all. That's why BIS BMP-3 can fire ATGM without loading it first. If ATGM would have to be loaded first into gun, AI crew wouldn't use missiles at all. Or would use only missiles untill they run out of them.

Other thing. Maybe it would be possible to allow squad leader to issue order to one/some of his troops (depending on squad size) to take launcher if there's no laucher in squad, armored contact and there's launcher inside box/corpse in interaction range.