Sign in to follow this  
dayglow

Ai thread

I would feel lucky if Bohemia fixes AI dying after re-loading  is complete.

*sings in soothing voice*

"Lowered Expectaaations "

Pretty sure they fixed the animations bro!

At least I hope wow_o.gif

I would feel lucky if Bohemia fixes AI dying after re-loading  is complete.

*sings in soothing voice*

"Lowered Expectaaations "

Pretty sure they fixed the animations bro!

At least I hope wow_o.gif

They placed a lot of work in animations . Normal things like that should be fixed

Would be very nice for the armor to go into a hull down / turret down position.  Could be done by marking the point of interest, and the location to watch from.  The tanks turn or travel to the location, turn to face the watch area, and if the AI in question (gunner/ commander) can see the watch area throught the sight, back up until it's blocked by terrain, then move forward until it is seen again.  This will ensure the minimum amount of exposure, and take away the micro-management of the units.

Thanks for listening BIS!  smile_o.gif

Hi, other good thing could be force the AI to control the bursts; so

they don't depleet an entire magazine shooting at a target that's

200m away, so they use single shot until 80m and then shot short

bursts of between 5 to 2 shots as the target's distance decreases.

In that way the AI will not waste so much ammo, sometimes they

act as Tonny Montana. Also make 'em stop firing at already dead

targets, which seems very common with all kind of weapons, from

ARs to MGs passing by GLs to sniper rifles. Let's C ya

Hi, this is what i mean:

ArmA_114_bug_08-1.jpg

There you've an AI shooting his M203 grenades to another AI acting

as a M2-HB gunner, seems that "his accuracy isn't the best one",

the AI shooted all his grenades like that (failing) and then began

to shot in full auto 2 magazines and with the last rounds of the 2nd

magazine... killed the AI acting as gunner of the HMG, that should

be corrected in order to make the AI shots count, make 'em know

how to use properly the weapon on their hands and making 'em to

don't waste ammo when isn't really needed; he wasn't trying to

make covert fire, he was trying to make effective fire; and failed

misserably. I'll like that that could be improved on the ArmA2 AI. Let's C ya

That's the old grenadier over shooting bug from ArmA in action.

In order to be better the new AI has to be a re-work rather than just stuff added to the old system (hand signals+leaning). Otherwise the improved precision is no use as AI does not even enter buildings.

First of all, hi community and BIS, this is my very first post on the forums. I am a longtime fan of the series since the beginning but I always stuck to the singleplayer because I didnt have any Internet at the time.

So, I would like to share some ideas about AI (as i consider this the most important aspect of the game, both in MP and SP)

I've read some posts that would like more emotion into the AI and I very much agree. I think that fear is the most important emotion in wars in general.

It determines:

-breathing speed (and thus its more demanding to go running)

-motivation

-ability to focus or weaponaiming(in a negative or positive way)

-specific behavior (lying down, hiding behind objects or buildings,...)

-going into panic (or even total inability to fight)

So simulating this emotion for both player and AI is paramount, allthough i wouldnt implement all of that into the game, as it would ruin gameplay too much (imo). Its still a game afterall.

More emotions to consider are: agression (duh), sadness or grief, joy,... (all these add more immersion then actual gameplay, but still)

The second most important pillar is descisionmaking. What does the AI do in certain situations in a today-war? Very vague question, I know, but its what makes a win or lose in any war.

So where are we now in that regard, in Arma1? (not taking mods into account here)

AI is able to:

-flank

-aim in a human way

-cooporate with team members (though limited imo)

-moving from point A to point B (using waypoints, it doesnt decide that on its own, unless in warfare)

-fleeing (limited aswell)

-using stationary guns placed on the battlefield

(if someone can add more to the list, feel free to do so)

AI is not able to:

-use all of the weapon spectrum provided into the game(smoke for example)

-use the terrain to its full advantage (cover, terrain elevation,...)

-engage effectively (it just moves unintelligently into position to be able to fire, therefore going to a suicide mission)

-use supression fire to pin down enemies

-find the best path to use to move to a certain point

(again, if any1 knows more, feel free to add)

Lastly, and this may yet prove to be a difficult one to program, is that the AI can predict enemy movement or tactical decisions. This AI does that now to a certain degree as far as movement is concerned (you can see that yourself when you play any game when "the most probable position" is displayed). But tactical decisions arent implemented as far as i know.

This requires that AI is able to evaluate/consider the enemies and/or its own weaknesses. Note that this is tightly corelated to decisionmaking.

Allright, i think i spit it all out for now, I will post more if I come across more ideas

Cya on the battlefield

Trakken

Edit: Iv'e been thinking some more about battle asessment:

AI should work with 2 parameters in this regard: "IF" & "THEN", e.g.: "IF I flank my enemies THEN I will be able to exploit his weak spot (having allready checked out weak spots). Note there is room for mistakes here, and thats just fine as that is a human "quality".

Let's say that the AI creates several of these parameter lines and thus obtaining more options to choose from, whereafter he chooses the option he deems most apropriate (and just what is the right choice? that choice should be based on skill level, experience, available info and personality of the commander). Obviously, only the platoon commander does the assessing, not the subordinates.

Ofcourse AI needs alot more cache and CPU cycles with this model I think. I don't know anything about programming but in the course of time, this kind of AI should be possible.

All this is ofcourse very abstract and is as complex as the human mind. But its a very fascinating subject. And I encourage everyone to join the discussion.

The Special Forces units, should be have better AI and behaviour (faster, better shooting on movement, exaktly shooting) and better stealth in the night or bush than regular troops.

Just a thought, may already be in there with the comments about inappropriate behavior..  But, what if the citizens and semi-friendly factions were affected by your stance and ready position.  What I mean is, imagine your team is in discussion trying to befriend a suspicious faction, or patrolling through a friendly town, and your team is in 'danger', you know, weapons out and up, aggressive stance and actions.  If an armed team came through YOUR neighborhood looking for trouble, wouldn't YOU get a little on edge and think about your familys safety (and possibly grab the Kolzice behind the cookiejar?  rofl.gif  )

@Salvatore_lee:  Well, that's what resistance fighters do, right?  Just thinking it would be 'nice' if you callously and dangerously come through town, at the very least, don't expect to be invited back.  Much less having your ass handed to you by an ambush of the local militia.  I know ArmA II will have this for civilian destruction and killing of innocents.  But would be something extra to make them uneasy, and possibly be the straw that broke the camels back, so to speak.  Make you careful how you act and what attitude you're projecting.  (roleplaying aspects, all).  LOL  Ask a citizen about happenings in the area in MP  "It was awful!  Some noob BF2'ers squad came through here a few days ago.  They shot senselessly into the air, blew up our dog with 20 satchels, and followed the female civ models around to look at their fine behinds..  We IED'd their asses just outside town.  Come I'll show you.."

If an armed team came through YOUR neighborhood looking for trouble, wouldn't YOU get a little on edge and think about your familys safety (and possibly grab the Kolzice behind the cookiejar?  rofl.gif  )

And piss off a bunch of yanks with Assault Rifles and special training? crazy_o.gif

WoW - what the hell is that? In which game i can see this technology? crazy_o.gif

Posted this elsewhere... just wanted you to see what can be achieved

It's just proper interaction between AI and the physics engine.

And it should be very possible on newer multicore processors (especially the Phenom and Core i7 due to core-to-core interconnects) and hardware accelerated physics.

Hi, in the ArmA, i miss an AI copilot on choppers like the HH-60 FFAAR,

the MI-8 MTV PKM (aka MI-17) and the MI-8 MTV with rockets; will

be great to have such helicopters with the full combat crew; pilot,

copilot, gunner (or gunners) and the cargo manager, same for the

planes, like the KC-130 or the hybrid MV-22B on the ArmA2. Let's C ya

i was watching the video & the graphics look like pc graphics & when the guy shot one ai the others just stood there as if nothing happened,hopefully this isnt going to happen in the game

i was watching the video & the graphics look like pc graphics & when the guy shot one ai the others just stood there as if nothing happened,hopefully this isnt going to happen in the game

Yes, but by logic and reasoning you could easily understand that the AI was on the easiest setting possible.

Why? Because the player was an imbecill.

I hope they make the AI a bit less...boring, I keep finding myself being drawn back to playing OFP. As far as I can tell this is because when I get into a firefight in OFP the soldiers don't just all lie down neatly and start picking each other off, they run around, they get behind cover, and I find that is makes up for all the gameplay flaws that OFP has compared to ArmA. So I hope that in ArmA II the AI acts a bit more interestingly compared to ArmA. (I know I might get killed for this but I thought I might as well put my humble opinion across. :pet5: :dance1: (No I don't know why I used those smilies.)

I still want MORE ways of controling AI´s in the actionmenu..

If i press F2-6, i expect to see a whole lot of commands...

Like my thread of issue WAYPOINTS, IN GAME...Not editor..

In the mission itself..

[...]So I hope that in ArmA II the AI acts a bit more interestingly compared to ArmA.

Some say AI will be more "accurate" (micro-AI), but as far as I saw from WIP videos, I cannot claim I've noticed they were smarter... :huh2:

Hi, one thing that i'll like to see, it's the AI mates on my squad facing to where i'm facing when i order 'em to enter into whatever formation

instead form facing the direction that your unit (or they) were put (created) in the editor; because that screws up most of the possible utility

of any formation. I wish that they fix that important bug. Let's C ya

I understand it's too late to implement anything like this and I also understand that this has probably been said three times before, but I believe the AI should be coded to work as buddy teams, and those buddy teams should be coded to work in fireteams and those fireteams to work with squads. It's irritating to see one or two AI soldiers run out into the middle of nowhere, just to get killed since single soldiers cannot effectively flank. Here are some other suggestions:

1. An order to increase / decrease spacing between individuals.

2. An order to increase / decrease spacing between teams (for sake of traveling overwatch)

3. A proper squad column formation with fire-teams in wedge (for Army squads).

4. All soldiers watching their lanes (360 security), even during movement.

5. An "ORP" formation with fireteams automatically forming a circle around the Squad Leader or PL.

6. Whenever soldiers stop moving when in "combat" mode, they automatically kneel and do not keep standing and take cover in the closest cover in a 5 meter radius.

7. Making roads "danger" areas so that they don't walk right in the middle of it during "combat" mode.

8. All soldiers hit the dirt or seek cover once being fired upon. They shouldn't be standing up and scanning as they are being shot at.

9. AI leaders should not call out individual soldiers to flank/attack. They should be calling out at least a fireteam to flank.

10. Make suppressing fire work against and for AI.

11. This isn't AI related, but this will make this game seem THAT much more authentic: Have realistic 8 digit grid coordinates, the ability to draw lines, plot points, write on a notepad, use a protractor, and adjust for both magnetic north and grid north. I understand modern technology renders these tools ineffective, but it's good attention to detail and sometimes it's still extremely useful.

The list can go on, but I feel like these are rather essential. I understand these won't be implemented, but somehow, if they can, I believe this will make this game the most realistic tactical shooter ever, bar none. I hope this will be done.

AI should fire when moving. (sidestep,walking)

AI is too slow in CQC. AI takes too much time aiming or recognizing target in CQC.

AI should work as a team, not a lone wolf.