Sign in to follow this  
dayglow

Ai thread

I'd like to see sound being used to help the Player to notice enemies, especially in forests where it's quite hard to visually spot enemies.

For example a Squad of Rookie AI's would make alot of noise walking on twigs, being generaly clumsy and chatting/complaining about things.

Normal AI would be more professional with no chatter and just the odd clumsy noise and the Squad Leader shouting out Orders.

Elite AI would be quiet (Hand Signals?) and generaly very professional/Stealthy.

Sorry if that's been said before but it's a big thread.  nener.gif

What an absolutely great idea!

I too would love to see more disparity between the skill level of AI that would inherently add a new level of immersion/atmosphere as well as tactical challenge.

This concerns both AI and the player:

I was thinking about the ability to quickly hide behind cover in ArmA, and realised that the only option is to sprint and hit the dirt there. (double tap W and then Z).

Now, even if the AI, standig near an object that could be used for cover, knew it should hide behind it when the enemy appears, it would probably make a 90 degree turn, and then sprint there.

There's no sprint left/right move, both from chrouching and standing position. (e.g. double tap D/A)

Since there is already an animation that could be used for the "fast left/right while crouching" action, with the limited ability to shoot. (you probably know which one I'm talking about, if not, check out the 1:05 of the

)

We need an anim, that would rotate your character while "strafe-sprinting left/right while standing" transforming to normal sprint. (again double tap D/A)

+ at least two extra transitions from the "fast left/righ while chrouching" to the above mentioned left/right sprint while standing and to prone.

------------------------------------------------------

edit:

The thing is simple as hell, and probably doable now so...

Since ArmA2 is being made with more visually-smarter AI in mind (and I'm talking about the kind of visual realism that actually is realistic and affects gameplay), there's a lil suggestion when it comes to boarding/disembarking e.g. helos.

AI boards/disembarks vehicles one by one, while the rest of the squad either tries to get to the vehicle, or does something else. I think it would be better to add to the "get in" waypoint a simple 360* cover drill. So that those who are near the helo wait for the others and cover the rest of the squad and the crew. (the 360* formation would be usefull too). The same with the disembarking.

Well im sure this has already been added, but for the love of god dont let an AI be able to have x ray vision and see me through a fallen tree, bush, super tall grass etc! or fog, or smoke grenades etc.

A minimal request, could even be done for Arma1 engine I think. Make it possible to cancel/complete the dismissed waypoint type, i.e. by synching a switch trigger to it (or any wp after it).

Also, the radius setting for a dismissed type waypoint should determine the radius they are allowed to travel.

Currently we have to make them dismissed at about the right time, or they might go off the map biggrin_o.gif But it is still q bit unuseable since one group might spot the enemy and set off the city alarm, yet all other groups will never react until they actually see their enemy.

1. Different and distict AI classes -

Air - automatically find place to refual and rearm in friendly localle to increase mission legnth and realism. central flight control for airports - disabled when control tower destroyed. this should allow multiple ungrouped units to land take off and taxi without crashing into each other. it should allow them to automatically refuel and rearm and return to last objective, of course units should only choose to rtb when either objective is complete or when fuel/armour is below 25% or when ammo is below 10%.

For helicopters the AI config should make it so that they fly NOE and follow certain terrain patterns i.e. valleys etc, when a target appears on radar they should pop and engage before returning to cover, as in RL.

Armour - AI should have 'vision' triangle, rather than 360 detection. Should be less accurate when targeting infantry and soft targets with HE to add atmosphere and realism - always looks better when shells hit ground and explode rather than hitting people! Ground vehicles in general should be adjusted so that convoys operate more effectively, I find it near impossible to make a large convoy follow a road when in one group and using only waypoints in a column formation.

Sniper - default prone and slow movement, stealth, higher camouflage rating and increased visibility/detection distance, able to engage at long ranges and not likely to move unless spotted. Ability to decrease morale when firing undetected and increase chances of fleeing. Automatically target units in ranked order.

MG - will lay down suppressive fire on last know enemy location or when firing on a group will fire at an average distance between units rather than picking specific targets.

AT - not waste AT rounds on inf/soft targets and will not rush forward with other riflemen when on egage at will.

grenadier - similar to mg in that it should target area of enemy rather than individuals.

Medic - preference to stay back/near squad leader and will automatically approach injured squad members to heal.

Engineer - ability to construct simple structures; sandbags/barbed wire.

All infantry esp. S.F. - more advanced formation handling, when in column formation automatically adjust inter-unit distance to suit environment, when in open terrain use large distance and when in urban env. auto adjust so that they are not only close, but also so that they will fall in on squad leader and occupy wall that he is on rather than trail behind indefinitely (so when alongside a building they will close in to ooccupy the legnth of the wall). not only this but should be made so that units will cover certain directions automatically, i.e. last man in column covers rear, flanks on wedge formation cover sides and rear etc.

S.F - default preference for stealth and should be given a higher stamina for sprinting than other units as well as better recoil handling (disabled for human players).

2. Urban A.I, maybe switch to entirely new config or modfied one for urban situations. when 'safe', move in column along pavement or road but when situation arises, stick to wall and use close column. If outnumbered/outgunned, automatically occupy nearby building/take cover and choose window/door positions facing enemy, preference for upstairs.

3. Distinct AI for situation - maybe have seperate configs for offence and defensive modes - selected by an assesment of several variables; friend/enemy ratio; leader skill; weapon loadout; current waypoint; unit stregnth (% start units).

4. Increased detection range but with reduced accuracy:

TrueRangeAI went some way to achieving this, however in increasing AI detection and engagement range the stealth element was removed. should be made so that at maximum skill units can be detected at 800m in daytime when running and no fog, maybe above 1km with binocs. enemy will engage at up to 800m with rifles and mg but NOT with same aiming accuracy (by this I dont mean even greater bullet dispertion than there already is, i simply mean that the units ability to track the target and select an aimpoint is reduced. The current AI seems to always choose the correct point and a hit/miss is determined by dispersion. Changing this would greatly add to feel and atmosphere of AI combat). AI should automatically choose fire mode to suit situation, this should be located in weapon config not unit AI to avoid limiting things for mod teams.

note - the ECP and FFUR/slx mods had near perfect examples of advanced scripted AI, when replaying the OFP campaign with these I came across fantastic moments of realism due to some small changes. AI will assess situation and either attack, hold, or retreat and regroup/disband according to circumstance. This, I would say, is essential and if an unpaid mod team can manage it years ago, dont release arma2 without it!

The mod teams actually reffered to Sun Tzus 'Art of War' and US army doctrine to adjust the AI, the results where stunning, never before have i seen so much variety when replaying the same mission.

5. Introduction of new infantry class - Radio operator.

Many addon makers have released radio operators with new radio models. BIS should release a universal one with a universal dialogue for the map - as it the case for gps and current radio - that allows for advanced dialogue functions, this will allow greater compatability for addons and mean less addons are necesary. Dialogue should be empty template so addon makers can add as many different types of data field as they like inc. drop down menus, multiple pages etc to allow for artillery/airstrikes. Regardless of addons, the radio operator, when alive, would convey data to other units with radios, so AI will become aware of distant enemies, maybe make them appear on map with larger marker for group not individual units (less precise). This would work well in combination with a new waypoint type - 'rapid response/combat support', it would work in a similar way to the current guard waypoint but instead of attacking enemies in a guarded trigger they would also attack enemies spotted by units with a radio operator.

6. Civilian AI, at the moment civi AI is very basic in that, there is none. its silly that when scared they will drop and look like they are holding a rife, please add new animations for units that are fleeing and not holding a gun. It would be good if when in a battle, civis run and hide, some panic and run with arms in air and other drop prone.

7. Ability to use cover and rooftops, should automatically adjust stance to hide and raise to shoot over sandbags etc, hiding to reload and when under heavy fire. Ai should also use lean function.

8. AI voices, as in XAM and ECP mods AI should communicate with voice not just radio, this is easy to acheive and adds a great ammount to immersion.

Thats the end of that essay, im sure a lot of it has been mentioned before but i cant be bothered to trawl through pages of txt.

I think they should add a reactive AI. Each soldier would react to his enviroment. Have you guys seen Company of heroes AI. The soldiers would automaticaly find cover.

But they should add more modifiers like nighttime, rain, elevation, stuff to make the AI more alive! If each soldier did this they would seem conscience in a way. An even more pluss would have the AI sqaud leader should do the same. He would give relavent and tatical plans reacting to enviroment and change formation to fit the circumstance. I absolutely hate when the AI squad leader tells individual troopers on there own to attack! The squad should fight the battle in a team. (As I can recall this was fixed in OFP with the SLX mod)

Attention BIS! The finest example of ofp/arma improvements i have ever seen since ofp release is without doubt ECP/ECS/SLX mods.

In other words, many people felt that their advanced config and scripts made the game feel like what vanilla ofp SHOULD have been. BIS are bloody good but seriously, don't get lazy and leave out those little details, they are what makes an OK game incredible.

Go back and play ofp, then play it again with ECP. No addons, just configs and scripting, its genius.

Hi, dont know if someone else said this, but here it goes:

i want amies vs ssssr, not some bluefor vs island militia

voices of squad also needs improvements, not copy/paste from OFP,

and finaly but most important is AI , both enemy and squad, they too often experiance BSO or goes to stanby mode smile_o.gif

yea i would realy like to see some improvements in the ai. all too often ive tried to create some big urban battles only to see the ai act so dumb. also i dont like the fact that when the ai is attacked their first instinct is to go prone out in the open when theres a perfectly good peice of cover right next to him

(Moved from Arma2 General thread)

What do I wanna see in ArmA2, specifically the AI?

- checking around a corner before going around it.

- If taking fire, 1/3 of them going for cover, 1/3 drops to the ground.

Rest returns fire if able to effectively, otherwise dashing for cover after "shock" from hitting the ground. If caught in open field, 15m distance spread to avoid grenade/HE bunching up is considered "cover"

No getting up if still taking fire.

- walking and/or crouching down and advancing down both sides of the street, avoiding center of street at all costs.

- using grenades before entering a building; lining up outside door in CQB formation.

- cover fire into obscured human positions after taking casualties. area firing at walls and bushes.

- advancing behind slow advancing armor used as cover.

- react to superior force; call in reinforcing assets. armor, airstrike, arty, recon aircraft. (I like what someone suggested as using the radio operator to call it in.)

- smoke on retreat, or assault, or marking for air/arty strike.

- medics don't heal a wounded squad member while exposed in open ground to hostile fire.

- flank and surround a lesser or entrenched force before attacking.

- morale; surrendering, running away, dropping wpns and running away, hiding in building or cover, going beserk and running and shooting.

- screaming on charge and being wounded. Mama!!! Hoooah!

- officers issuing orders to gathered ai squad, voice or hand gestures.

- using cover during firefights, popping up to fire and popping down, or leaning around walls/corners and leaning back.

- treating battlefield high ground as objectives, not just human targets as objectives.

- knifing humans or ordering us to surrender if surprised from flank, human players have a 3 second disarm self option or gets killed. Move to enemy veh and respawns, or ordered behind enemy lines and respawns. If either is done by human then no "-1" score for being killed.

- mg'ers covering down a long street or pairing up in open field to set up crossfire.

I'd like:

- different types of fire, like suppressive fire to win a firefight

- AI that is tactically aware, using cover, rooftops and taking high ground

- better CQB skills as it's a big part of modern warfare

- orders to be shouted during the heat of battle and more reliance on radios for stealthier approaches

- fieldcraft and fighting skills, like 'The 6 Section Battle Drills' in the British Army

- AI that reacts instinctively to threats/perceived threats and genuinely wants to survive; recognises different types of threat and acts accordingly

That's all I can think of atm.

goodnight.gif

Hi,

I'd like to have realistic battle drills implemented. I E if a convoy is ambushed a number of the vehicles in it will try and flank the enemy force until they break contact.

And i wouldnt mind it if tyres on vehicles can burst and the driver still drives on to get out of the kill zone.

I just want the AI to be more aware...

Of objects for instance. Inside buildings,

on roads, close to water etc..

An AI driver almost allways hits buildings,

trees and rocks in order to find their way.

If the go inside a building the almost allways

start dancing and cant find their way. When

on the road the ALLWAYS walk in the middle.

Driving ME crazy..

I whant them to be able to recognise objects

in their way, know what a building is, what a road

is and how to behave in those situations. Yes they

can swim, but if i order an AI from A to B and the

distance is more then 1000m i dont whant them to

swim there (loosing gear and all). I whant them to

calculate the 1: Easiest way, 2: The fastest way,

3: The safest way and then choose accordingly to

the current situation. If the AI is on foot he/she will

run/walk to the destination. If in a vehicle they will

use that transportation. But NEVER swim.

Then, in addition i want MORE actions to give

my AI´s order. Suppresive Fire, Take cover(and really

find cover not just prone), When "engage" have them to

STAY in the same spot at all cost(not start chasing down

the enemy).

Maybe snipers on roofs shouldnt go prone when see enemy because in prone position on BIS buildings you can see nothing.

Maybe snipers should just go into crouching position?

I don't have any direct proof of this except by direct experience in Warfare games, but here's the synopsis.

1. Players complained of first shot kills by AI soldiers at 150m+

2. BIS releases several patches, and now 1.14.

3. When fighting soldiers in CQB (50m), ai will miss at 25-50m for the first critical .2 - 1.0 seconds, before firing more accurate volleys.

Hell, I can't confirm the coding of this, and I'm sure the fix, whatever it is, was meant for first shot kills at 150m+. But when it comes to city fighting, their reaction time, and accuracy needs to be "cranked up" when the range is closer. Human reaction timing is .2-.5 seconds. Autofire vs single shot should be preferred when the human target is closer, say at the 75m mark.

Just food for thought.

2, 3, 4 "Do NOT scan horizon"......

That is soo stupid i cant belive it...Its nice that you can

order your AI to scan horizon...But its NOT nice that you

CANT reverse it...

Should bee like a "EYES FRONT" command. Specially in

vehicles with weapons...

I think the most idiotics in ArmA AIs behaviour is the inability to fast moves, jumps in cover, responding enemy supressing fire, moving in buildings and streets, pathfinding and too many commands for group leaders. Yes, the leader must have the chance to give spotting direction to his men but under fire my men must react self and jumps in cover, responding fire. Then, after first shock i can command them to tactical movements and fire concentration. For this first reaction the soldiers have "basic training" - to learn the behaviour under fire. Stupid standing in middle of street whereas a sandbag bunker is 3 meters left of them its really not very realistic.

My tipp - dynamics and really realistic and beautyfully behaviour we can see in COD4.

To sum AI need...We need ALOT more commands in

Actionmenu..

If the AI´s arent intuitive enough to realize the need

to NOT drive into everything or simply wait in the inter

section of a road until its clear before continuing. Then

please add more commandoptions..

If i place units on the map in editor i whant them to be

numbered in line...IE...I place a Rifleman(Pvt) Becomes

F2, then i place a Squadleader(Sgt) and he becomes F3.

Not F2 just becouse he has a higher rank..Then i place

a Vehicle (M113 2Crew) They become F4-F5, then i place

another rifleman and he becomes F6..As it is now all vehicles

comes first in line, then rank. I whant them to be in the order

i place them on the map.

If i place units on the map in editor i whant them to be

numbered in line...IE...I place a Rifleman(Pvt) Becomes

F2, then i place a Squadleader(Sgt) and he becomes F3.

Not F2 just becouse he has a higher rank..Then i place

a Vehicle (M113 2Crew) They become F4-F5, then i place

another rifleman and he becomes F6..As it is now all vehicles

comes first in line, then rank. I whant them to be in the order

i place them on the map.

Then just give them all the same rank when you place them in the editor, thats more or less the only purpose of the ingame rank anyway. icon_rolleyes.gif

Hi all,

Don't know if this has been mentioned (searched for subject: no hits), but I think it would be great if:

1. The AI behaved more realistic in terms of wasting ammo. For example: They have seen an enemy that now hides behind foliage. They should spray the spot with rounds, trying to take him out. As it is in ArmA the A.I only shoots if it's "sure" it can kill.

2. Ammo wasting could also be related to the skill of the A.I unit. A more skilled unit would not waste alot of ammo.

3. If none of the above are done at least BIS should bless us with invisible targets to use in the standard game. That should not be too much to ask for.

Cheers

Laggy

Quote[/b] ]I whant them to be in the order

i place them on the map.

Use formation "None" and they will be just where you placed them. No big trick. It´s been like that since OFP 1.00.

Use formation "None" and they will be just where you placed them. No big trick. It´s been like that since OFP 1.00.

I don't think that's his problem.

To fix it, maybe try using the "join" command or similar (script command or waypoint), so they tag onto the end of the group rather than take precedence over infantry in group order.

For big battlefields the current AI sucks.

For Arma2 i'd really like to see a new waypoint attribute, a mixture of "careless" and "combat". That would enable a mission maker to have the troops actually move as they are intended too when the AI "fails" and still have their weapons ready to fire and react to incoming fire but only if it really is incoming to the specific group of course.

For example: As long as there is enemy aircraft or remote tanks in the area that are not even in the waypoint path the group leader is issuing that damn "Cover" command FSM. That kills all the action needed for frontline crossing troop movements. The AI just seems to scan the area for more powerful threats like infantry< tank and then make all decisions according to this simple assessment.

And they stay in this command state way too long, sometimes 2-3 minutes pass after the threat is gone that the group leader "decides" to issue a "move" command again.

I think that needs to be fixed badly.

For big battlefields the current AI sucks.

For Arma2 i'd really like to see a new waypoint attribute, a mixture of "careless" and "combat". That would enable a mission maker to have the troops actually move as they are intended too when the AI "fails" and still have their weapons ready to fire and react to incoming fire but only if it really is incoming to the specific group of course.

For example: As long as there is enemy aircraft or remote tanks in the area that are not even in the waypoint path the group leader is issuing that damn "Cover" command FSM. That kills all the action needed for frontline crossing troop movements. The AI just seems to scan the area for more powerful threats like infantry< tank and then make all decisions according to this simple assessment.

And they stay in this command state way too long, sometimes 2-3 minutes pass after the threat is gone that the group leader "decides" to issue a "move" command again.

I think that needs to be fixed badly.

Are you sure you arent using something like seconds suppression script (Addon version)? This slows the combat down considerably, the default AI should be quite suicidal. huh.gif