Sign in to follow this  
9mm

Game physics

got some crazy ideas when i played some call of duty2 and have a sugestion for bis, they maybe won't include jumping but i would really really like to be able to jump over fences & walls like in call of duty 2. And they have made it so that you don't jump over the wall really quick but you can almost feel when you climb over the fall sort of slowly but not to slow  biggrin_o.gif

there comes always a sort of text saying you can climb over with space thigny when close enough to a wall, fence and facing it, then press space and you climb automatically over it.

could maybe be used on to jump out from the sides of a mark 2 bpr or boat or jump out windows too  wow_o.gif

dunno if this goes here but i would like if bis would use this for game 2 , NI Mod dynamic weather addon

it got some really cool stuff like clouds in 3d, placeable leave falls and snow blizzards, for me living in scandinavia i really got the whole windy and white and argh my eyes hurt in the morning cause of the white snhiney snow effect when i played with this addon biggrin_o.gif

bis should really considere something like this , placebo tell them wink_o.gif

Please try to avoid Half Life 2 ragdoll physics. The physics in that game are horrendous. You, and everyone around you literally weigh no more than ten pounds. I took a hit from a .357 round and my body went flying for at least 100 meters. If ragdoll physics will be used, the characters should be made as actual people, not as weights, so that there arent any flying soldiers in the game.

I hope they add Ragdoll-physics to the game. It's so fun to watch people falling down rooftops and landing with their crotch first on a pole or a fence

*Laugh maniacly* rofl.gif

what will happen to a person who is blown away by a tank round? will they get blown to bits or just fly like they do now..

Realistically, a person hit by a tank round would either vaporize or be blown to bits. In the game, im guessing that they'll either dissapear completely or fly (and have a large amount of damage decals coating them).

A deletion of the model with a creation of a red cloud would be sufficient for a tank round.

Soldiers have a fairly standard weight from the training, they are lean and lightly muscular. Average weight is like 170 pounds. With all their gear they weigh 220-240 pounds.

A small calibre rifle bullet like 5.56/5.45 will hardly move their bulk. There will be more movement due to reflexes and pain. If the wound puts them instantly in shock they may fall down, stumble. Rarely do they carry on going.

What about realistic aiming simulation when character hands/elbows or even a gun (barrel, bipod, mag) adjoin(?) ground or object (rock, fallen tree, window cell).

Sort of ragdoll effect imho, but simplified/limited only to situations mentioned above...

Ofcourse, it would be determined by things like, shape of the weapon or natural abilities of human arms I do not know how to call it...

I was thinking about adding the option to clutch your weapon when near the wall, you know, when facing the wall, gun is automatically pointed down or somewhere else...

The next thing I thought is  just this Idea with ragdoll (or something else, more cpu friendly, I`m not the expert so It might be done quite easier) instead of the thing we have now.

The next step would be the supressive fire based on this feature...You lie behind a rock, press a button and manipulate your character`s hands (on every direction), so there would be possibility of leaning out only your gun, and fire blindly at the enemy...(not to mention the usage of video cameras on the rifle barrel).

It might be usefull, since there still will be old good hip-shooting anyway...

Anyway, the main idea is to do something with aiming.

For ex. When you`re lying on a crooked(?) surface, your elbows wouldn`t be on he same level (it`s kinda done now), and you`d have to manipulate the gun a bit.

<many dancing bananas>

sorry if I mixed up something, I`ve still got this nasty hangover after last party....anyway happy new year everyone! </many dancing bananas>

At BIS they have chosen the Open Dynamics engine, it's free and it's one of the best physics engine atm.

It belongs in the top 3 anyway:

1. NovodeX physics engine

2. Meqon physics engine

3. Open Dynamics engine <--

4. Havok 2

5. Tokamak

It can destroy buildings like in VBS1, it can handle deforming terrain, ragdolls, vehicle suspension (dunno in Game2 though) etc...

So that's good enough for me... biggrin_o.gif

At BIS they have chosen the Open Dynamics engine, it's free and it's one of the best physics engine atm.

It belongs in the top 3 anyway:

1. NovodeX physics engine

2. Meqon physics engine

3. Open Dynamics engine <--

4. Havok 2

5. Tokamak

It can destroy buildings like in VBS1, it can handle deforming terrain, ragdolls, vehicle suspension (dunno in Game2 though) etc...

So that's good enough for me... biggrin_o.gif

This engine using GSC Game World creators for STALKER. ODE is free and facility for modify. ODE is very powerful tool in BIS´s hands tounge2.gif

demolice.jpg

This engine using GSC Game World creators for STALKER. ODE is free and facility for modify. ODE is very powerful tool in BIS´s hands tounge2.gif

Yeah I know... It's a wonderful free-middleware physics engine.

It can really do miracles.

I'd love to see this in Game 2! biggrin_o.gif

P.S.: I hope they will do some vehicle suspension, and vehicles that could be destroyed in parts instead of a healthbar...

OMFG, I'd really love to shoot of a commander cupola, or an external fuel tank... rofl.gif

It was amazing in the leaked pre-alpha's... Unfortunately the X-Ray engine didn't work on my pc.

But on others... It was truly amazing...

Like Half-Life 2, but even more objects! I mean every was something, from cars to milk cartons, some were even floating in the anomalies... rofl.gif

At BIS they have chosen the Open Dynamics engine, it's free and it's one of the best physics engine atm..

Only place I can find this information is here, where is the official information that state that BIS has choosed Open Dynamics Engine, and where would they use it and to what extent?

Sorry if I'm missing the obvious here?

Physics need improvement , yes

But not only for the vehicles , for the unit itself too

How many time when playing OFP i had the impression of "driving" my soldier and not "being" it

The physics for the OFP soldier are nearly similar to Wargasm soldier (it was worse in Wargasm, but if you know this game, you will understand)

Please, improve the immersive factor by improving player physics and smoothness

NO!! Dont do that, thats one of the things i love about ofp, i hate the way you "glide" over the surface in other games. In ofp it feels like a real person you are controlling.

I agree, DO NOT CHANGE PLAYER MOVEMENT!

Ben

Is it a joke ? i cant believe people like actual player movement system , it is not smooth and intuitive.

Just walk forward, then press left or right strafe key and you will have the impression your unit is a tank , never like a real person

What? I love it! When i play bf/CoD/FEAR/Whatever i have the feeling that i am 2 hands with a gun who are flying trough a map!  crazy_o.gif

I mean, well, just try to walk forward and then quickly left and right, how fast can you do that without losing your balance?  smile_o.gif

EDIT: How the hell did i end up quoting a 3 year old post? crazy_o.gif

Actualy movement system (OFP, maybe ArmA) is no good for RPG. In Game2 will be battles outdoor and indoor - actualy movement is usable only for movement outdoor (a little indoor). BIS is absolutly certain wink_o.gif

Good system have Battlefiel2 - "similary game, but it is full-blooded FPS", but Game2 will be FPS,RPG,TACTICAL SHOOTER - it must have totally new system (inventory, commands for men, new movement system) - Game2 will have complex animations (captured from real soldier - finally).

Game2 isn´t ArmA and OFP. ArmA is really OFP sequel thumbs-up.gif

Game2 = NEXT GEN RPG from REAL WAR

I playing Oblivion (Morrowind sequel) now, which is inspiration for Game2. Oblivion is very interesting game with very fresh graphic, living NPC - How will be GAME2? tounge2.gif

EDIT: How the hell did i end up quoting a 3 year old post?  crazy_o.gif

I do not know, for sure you did not try to enlighten sombody. You tried to share ppl up maybe, with your humor.

I then assume that BIS has not choosen any 3. part game physic engine then, if nobody are able to point to any offical source.

Yes I have searched BIS site, VBS, this forum and all threads, ODE and general google search. I still could have failed to find it.

Got an idea: You could simulate wind (moving trees as ArmA has now as I have read a few minutes ago) and it´s effects on sound. So if you stand on a hill and an enemy tank is a few miles west of you and the wind comes from the west as well, you can hear the tank more loudly. I think you know what I mean.

Since there`s no other suitable topic...

Would be nice to have the sound of blowing wind. On windy days especially you can hear the leaves moving, this ripple(?) depends on the wind`s strength of course, and even if there are`nt any trees or bushes around you you can still hear the grass moving. Moreover, you can sometimes hear only the wind, like when recording something with a camera on windy day (you got this rumble when wind blows straight into the camera`s mic).

Since there`s no other suitable topic...

Would be nice to have the sound of blowing wind. On windy days especially you can hear the leaves moving, this ripple(?) depends on the wind`s strength of course, and even if there are`nt any trees or bushes around you you can still hear the grass moving. Moreover, you can sometimes hear only the wind, like when recording something with a camera on windy day (you got this rumble when wind blows straight into the camera`s mic).

Hmm..what about rolling down the window to a vehicle and listening to the wind as well? Or parachuting out of the air and listening to it and all that yack..hm..

hmmm, wind would be an interesting one to try and implement.

I'm guessing sounds we hear depend on where we are in relation to the wind and of course what obstructions there are.

For example what you hear when standing in the open is different to what you hear when standing some sort of cover, mainly because the sounds produced when the air flows over the ears is gone when out of the wind.

I hope Game 2 features full support for the Aegia PhysX cards. notworthy.gif

In Game2 preview in czech "Score" magazine, Marek said that they prefer powerful processor and card. So, probably not wink_o.gif

I hope Game 2 features full support for the Aegia PhysX cards. notworthy.gif

In Game2 preview in czech "Score" magazine, Marek said that they prefer powerful processor and card. So, probably not   wink_o.gif

If it supports the card its good, but if it requires the card it is very bad wink_o.gif

EDIT: Oh, i thougth you said 'hopefully not', i cant read... tounge2.gif

Unlike graphics I don't know how physics can be scaled. If scaling of physics is implemented wouldn't bits that are modelled for someone who has the PhysX and that are not modelled on the guys computer that doesn’t have PhysX be required not to impact on the gameplay and just be extra eye candy…. Making me ask what is the point of using PhysX for physics modelling if you also allow people to play without it.

In those terms it would be better to have it as an option,advanced physics where parts of vehicles would blow off or be chipped off and whatnot and an option for those without it or do not want this effect.

Again I don't know where to place that idea. I think that it's not fresh - but very important: soldiers in cargo should be able to use their weapons. No longer defenseless opened trucks! I know that it'll make another Call of Duty, but... it's realistic. Only dispersion should be increased when shooting from cargo.

More - soldiers'll have to get into firing position and be able to reload when sitting down anytime.