Sign in to follow this  
9mm

Game physics

Yea, especially when you try to reload the magazine while running. you could be more precised in this action if you try to reload while walking or standing, or if you look at your weapon while reloading, so you'll have more chances to succeed.

But this topic should be more elaborated - even though the first game had some realistic "deaths" (i.e. when the player get shot while running he falls and dies) i've never seen someone who took a bullet somewhere in his body and didnt fall back just from the bullet's impact... and i've seen some people getting shot at for real - believe me crazy_o.gif

For example - a 5.56 bullet impact is almost equal to getting rammed to the ground by a big bull. putting aside the fact that 5.56 bullet will most certainly chuck your leg if it hits your knee because we'd like the player to still be able to play after getting only one shot - he should still be knocked down from the impact...

I disagree. Thats a movie myth. Small calibre bullets do not have enough force to knock a human down. They might FALL down after the shock of being hit, but they aren't thrown around. The way they fall in SPR is quite realistic.

Well, let me tell you - getting shot by a 5.56mm bullet and be knocked to the ground is all but a myth...

When being shot by a .50cal (equals to 12mm) you'd probably tear the guy who's being shot at to a half (i.e. shooting someone with a .50cal in the chest would, in most cases, tear his upper torso to a half) so just imagine what half of it (5.56) could do, but i dont know if OFP2's developers would want to go down to these kind of details... rock.gif

Hey, stop talking about 100% realism. OFP2 will be a simulation, not real life. It will be for having fun. If you will be shot 20 secunds after start, it won't be very funny. BIS boys have really hard task - combine realism and fun. Some balance...

im actually happy with the way you currently die from being shot, ie stagger a couple of steps and collapse

though im not too sure about your body flying a kilometer or so when hit by a tank shell, or even a grenade crazy_o.gif

Dusand, i did talk about 100% realism, but if you'd read my post to the end, you'll see that me and you share the same opinion. I also like the way the player currently die but dislike the way stuff getting blown away... (as acidcrash mentioned) i mean, im sure the engine's phisical calulations would be more percised in OFP2 and we wont see vehicles "jumping" around ages after being exploded, but i think the issue of a player's body flying around from a tank shell blast should be delt with more concern. i dont know what kind of calculation OFP's engine did and what factors he considerd when it displays a player body flying about 300 meters away from a blast, but i do think this kind of an engine behaviour should have been delt with a simple patch dealing with the game's physical measurments... it could've been the latest 1.46 or 1.91, but for some reason it wasnt one of the things the patch fixed, and that's why we should still put an emphasis on this subject to the devs... blues.gif

I dont know if this is proper subject and if anyone mentioned it before.

important realistic improvement may be:

- possibbility of weapon jam dependant on

-- weapon type ( some weapons jams frequently)

-- weapon use (weapon shoting nonstop jams more frequently)

-- weather conditions (some weapons are sensible some like AK are not)

-- tired or fresh soldier (some weapons are sensible for "user error" like STEN)

Yes, the weapon jam idea with these factors has been already brought up korzon smile_o.gif but it's good to know that people consider it an important factor...

Anyway, going back to ammunition, but this time - AT ammunition.

In OFP, when you shot a sabot round at the ground it'd produce the same blast effect as a HEAT round - a thing which is entierly not correct. AT rounds produces a very minimal explosion, because most of the round/missile's warhead is devoted to armore peneteration - most of the space inside the warhead is used for the copper cone and the exlosives behind it (for anyone who's familiar with armore peneteration techniques) so all of the explosion created by such a projectile is generated by that small amount of explosives mounted behind the copper cone, thus causing minimal damage to the surrounding, but delivers a serious blow to the armored vehicle.

Ferthermore - when the armore is peneterated, it produces some kind of a "spark" and a very small shockwave that "drags" the target vehicle along with the projectile a few centimeters along its course - i think this effect would be a good addon to the game, if it'd be considerd, ofcourse... smile_o.gif

-- tired or fresh soldier (some weapons are sensible for "user error" like STEN)

I have the same idea. It would be quite realistic.

That's why magazine discription in config file should contain only the number of the bullets held inside, nothing more.

NO JAM projects would be needed anymore.

I want a sliding system to move inside aircraft, ships and tanks. I get in the sliding sistem and move. Then a helicopter can land in a moving ship, or taxi my aircraft in a moving carrier, or stand inside a helicopter and use my weapon.

Airbase can have this system to control aircraft's taxi.

G-LOC

On the tank thing when a tank gets hit with a missile or SABOT round wouldnt it be cool if the turret blew off and landed back on top upsde down and then ammo started cooking off

Dusand, i did talk about 100% realism, but if you'd read my post to the end, you'll see that me and you share the same opinion. I also like the way the player currently die but dislike the way stuff getting blown away... (as acidcrash mentioned) i mean, im sure the engine's phisical calulations would be more percised in OFP2 and we wont see vehicles "jumping" around ages after being exploded, but i think the issue of a player's body flying around from a tank shell blast should be delt with more concern. i dont know what kind of calculation OFP's engine did and what factors he considerd when it displays a player body flying about 300 meters away from a blast, but i do think this kind of an engine behaviour should have been delt with a simple patch dealing with the game's physical measurments... it could've been the latest 1.46 or 1.91, but for some reason it wasnt one of the things the patch fixed, and that's why we should still put an emphasis on this subject to the devs... blues.gif

The physics engine doesn't take into account energy lost due to the unit crumpling or falling apart and air resistance. It would be good if "crumple zones" were introduced so aircraft would crash and stay crashed and bodies would fall short of a parabolic projection from the fatal explosion.

Need to improve ice rink physics on road vehicles and improve handling on planes. need to be able to roll in a Fixed wing plane tanks should move a bit more like tanks less speed more power and although unrelated suppressing fire would be nice

i completely agree with Platoon_EFeKT... in death realisms and tank ammunitions... it isn't exactly a big programming to make a man blowing into gibs, rather than throwing it further and further away after explosion. it kinda reminds me of counter-strike and it's bombing/defusing maps... when u stand on a bomb and it blows up, u just fall down and fly into the skybox. exactly the same in OFP1... sometimes even worse. Lets say u stand on a satchel charge and it blows up.. u should kinda vaporize (considering the firepowr of that satchel charge in OFP), but instead after few moments your player plays the death animation and just falls down... tho i worship OFP, this is one of the most annoying things in the game... oh yea, flying cars and broken+flying planes. i bet all of you have tried, what would happen to a jeep, if it had at least 8 satchel charge beneath it... well i most certainly have. I WANT TO SEE PIECES AND BIG CHUNKS OF METAL flying over my head, not a jeep model with darkened textures and modified vertex positions. And planes... u go 600MPH(supposingly mph, cause in OFP there are just "speed unist") 90 degrees into ground and what would happen? plane "deformes" and flys back up... instad of making a 5m deep hole and 200x200meters of debris-full ground.. ok, that's all i have to say for a long time

I have the same idea. It would be quite realistic.

Yeah i like the idea also, but its maybe too realistic wich can spoil the gameplay for many.

OK...

Here's the list of improvements I would like to see:

1). Better flight model of planes (especially planes) and helicopters (I hate the way they're behaving at the high speeds). It shouldn't be too hard of course, because the game isn't Flight Simulator.

2). More realistic cars and tanks. I would like to see 1nsane-like handling. Current simulation models is nearly unacceptable for me.

Dammage zones on the vehicles should work better. I would like to see a possibility to describe vehicle parameters better - not only max speed, weight, turn and ground coeficiency, but also - engine power, etc. Then it would be possible to create for example slow vehicle with a lot of the power to climb hills etc. Possibility to attach trailers and transport one vehicle inside another is a must for me as well.

3). General physic model improvements... couldn't you guys implement dynamic system like Havok?

4). Better damage models - for example cars should receive visible 3D dammage (not only texture changes). I don't like how building dammage model is looking too. Dammaged vehicles should loose their parts (for example when chopper is crashing rotors should separate from the hull, or if tank's turret receives pretty high amount of dammage it should be torn apart)

5). Falling down - soldiers should be able to fall down (for example when grenade explodes nearby and explosion hurls them into the air, but doesn't kills them)

6). Better clipping is a must.

7). AI which actually knows how to take adventage multi-level buildings, terrain obstacles etc.

8). Weapons and equipment weight. Soldiers with heavy weapons moves slower. Choppers and planes with heavy load should have slower reactions to controls as well.

10). Weight and space based equipment space. Not slot based one.

This would allow us to take for example 2 assault rifles at once, or assault rifle and machine gun, but less ammo. Additional cargo space (like backpack) would allow soldier to carry more equipment. Same things regarding vehicles.

Only planes and helicopters should have slot/weight based equipment space.

11). Head gear (like NV Goggles or Helmets) and equipment like binoculars shouldn't be hard-coded into game's engine. It should be easy to customize just like any other weapon

Soldier should be able to carry additional equipment like vests, backpacks, etc.

12). Possibility to replace 'in game' some weapons with anothers - for example - I'm landing AH-64 on the FARP and rearming the chopper from 16xHellfire setup to 8xHellfire + 32xHydra setup.

Things like inverse kinematic (so called ragdolls heh) / ground errosion (geomod from Red Faction) etc. aren't so important to me. I think it would be hard to have satisfying performance. Face it guys - OFP is more like a 'world simulator' not like 'one-small-corridor simulator'.

I like the idea of weapon jams too, but I don't think it should be based on such huge list of factors as korzon described.

Quote[/b] ]10). Weight and space based equipment space. Not slot based one.

This would allow us to take for example 2 assault rifles at once, or assault rifle and machine gun, but less ammo. Additional cargo space (like backpack) would allow soldier to carry more equipment. Same things regarding vehicles.

Only planes and helicopters should have slot/weight based equipment space

after thinking about that, you could possibly implement it like Neverwinter Nights did... ie, weight: after carrying so much you could only walk not run, then after that only walk slowly. this would also work well with a revamp of the current way you pick up ammo and load them in vehicles. instead of making 6 journeys between the bodies and the vehicle just to load their rifles, you could do it in 1 or 2... if you see what im saying

I agree, a weight system would be great.

Finally there would be a difference between an AT/MG gunner and a scout, with advantages and disadvantages for both sides, firepower vs. speed, agility, reload speed, posture change etc. Oh and if you want to retreat quickly it would actually make sense to throw your weapon down! tounge_o.gif

well it doesnt normally you want a weapon to bring a rearguard action to bear on the enemy and MGs are essential

but it would make for interesting thinking. on dumping backpacks that would make it very interesting and would reward good planning by dumping your bergens in a wood then proceeding. it would also make you more nervous about it all going tits up and losing all your equipment in your bergens which would in itself bring about lots of choices such as do i take my AT weapons and slow myself down or should i risk being bumped and losing my AT cover?

Right now you can pick up and RPG and 3 rounds "just in case" instead of your 6 handgrenades, that would weigh you down a bit IRL.

This might be a bit advenced but: How about when soldiers get close to a wall or tank or anything that gets in his way he raise his weapon (if his looking towrds the wall) as in Vietcong. And when u get close to a tree or something the soldier hides as much as possible behind it. If a much wanted lean fuction would be added u could stick your head out from behind the tree. Pretty much like in Call of Duty when soldiers hide behind walls etc. Another stolen idea from CoD: Soldiers jumping through windows and over windows. Other changes I'd like to see:

1:Caves

2:Craters

3:Ability to stand in/on vehicles when they move as in Battlefield1942

4:Jumping or a automatic action that makes the soldier climb up on ex a plane-wing.

Heh.. Pretty much dreaming but who knows whats possible Muahahahahha! smile_o.gif