Sign in to follow this  
9mm

Game physics

Not one bit Vlad. =p

Please share the gospel my brother. Heh.

I hate games like that now. I stopped playing them in late 1997 during a brief stint with Quake 2. I now realise OFP was the game I was always looking for.

As far as the "One arm to handle everything" system in trespasser... I pretty much chalk that up to the developers either getting lazy or thinking they were making their complicated (yet IMO enjoyable) object manipulation system a bit more easy. So I just pretended she was hefting a benelli or a spas 12 with both hands. =P

I hope you guys from BIS read this ;-)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sugestion for OFP2:

Make even more different surface properties for the Maps (Ground properties).

This is:

- of course realistic physics, so ground vehicles can NOT go up hills steper than 45°. (usually much lesser)

-- Tanks and other military vehicles can climb hills that have slopes up to 60 %. I also think that tanks are often much to slow in OPF when the climb hills. Even when they use roads and the hill is not very steep.

- Make vehicles with high center of balance tumble/flip over when they reach a critical angle.

-- Yes, I agree. It is hard to put your car on it's roof.

- Different ground/surface properties which make vehicles/soldiers move differently or not at all! (Like mudd, very rough terrain,) Wet grass will embarras even the fancyest off road car driver!!!

-- Yes, I also agree. I should be impossible to climb rocky terrain with most vehicles.

- Make ditches/channels/drains along roads where cars and trucks can get stuck. Only then you can simulate good convoy ambushing.

- Even soldiers walking speed should be influenced by different grounds

This will give the landscape a much bigger tactical/strategic meaning. For now Mountains are only a bigger cover as they can be climbed by most any vehicle. Wheeled vehicles are not forced to stay on the roads/pathways most of the time in OFP now.

-- The braking behaviour of tanks has to be simulated somewhat better. The braking range of tanks can be very short.

All in all this could balance the game very much and give more realism at the same time.

Greetz

I agree on Tresspasser, I also loved the hand wrist system, but I dont think a woman with arms like hers could handle a 12 guage shotgun with one hand  wink_o.gif

Well thats my ranty 2 cents.

I liked the way u had to move ur hand to line up the sights and it had a full physics engine to it,IN 1998,its just a shame they had to rush it out sad_o.gif

i wish the woman was a bit stroner that way u could have beaten up the raptors with the baseball bat,sledgehammer,barret and the mounted machine guns a bit better or u could try what i did and drop metal girders off a height onto their heads :P

Problem with trespasser which I wouldn't want to see in ofp2 is the fact that they undershot the time they should have released the game by quite a few months. If you read any review on the game for it's time people complained bitterly on how the game ran so unplayably horrible on any system save the absolute fastest of the time. Which I believe was a P2 450mhz with dual voodoo2 in SLI mode.

Of course people in the minority with money to burn or kids whose every whim is subsidized by the bank of mom and dad won't be affected but I think it's a sobering reminder that focusing on what's important before applying attention to piddly little details should be a priority.

This is going to be fantastic.

I would adore a realistic special forces mission in OFP2 where you have to navigate using escape map and stars, swim small streams, raid a small village, find a radio, call your base, meet a another SF team etc.

Have a engine with all these effects and you have an immortal game.

Problem with trespasser which I wouldn't want to see in ofp2 is the fact that they undershot the time they should have released the game by quite a few months. If you read any review on the game for it's time people complained bitterly on how the game ran so unplayably horrible on any system save the absolute fastest of the time. Which I believe was a P2 450mhz with dual voodoo2 in SLI mode.

Of course people in the minority with money to burn or kids whose every whim is subsidized by the bank of mom and dad won't be affected but I think it's a sobering reminder that focusing on what's important before applying attention to piddly little details should be a priority.

Exactly, I wont play a game until its perfect, I hate to play some buggy Grab bag of models and sound that isnt challenging or fun, but then again, since February last year, I haven't invested in any other games than Ofp... smile_o.gif

Also, yes I have to agree on the arm system being a biproduct of laziness on the Developers part, but that is just a small detail that doesn't affect gameplay.....Hey, maybe she was jacked up on steroids at the time of the crash smile_o.gif

Im glad to see someone else who sees the true beauty and potential of OpFlash over those fragfest FPS.

...and i saw something about playing paintball and aiming when running... i'd say that this aiming in ofp is kinda crappy, but i surely wouldn't compare a paintballgun shooting blastic balls with a m16/m60, which weights about 5-7 KGs... i'm sorry but THIS perfect game isn't possible EVEN by the BIS guys (i think ) rock.gif

Your right... the m16 would be even more stable/accurate due to its weight. =P

Well... accurate in the sense that trying to hit something at anything beyond 40m. Or perhaps less. I swim 500m in a 50m length pool at the local fitness centre and when I look at it end to end it's a pretty far distance. If you were cranking rounds off like crazy and you weren't running too fast you could probably land a hit by using the accuracy by volume strategy.

however... heavy guns as far as I know are better for recoil than light guns.  Not versus light caliber weapons but the added heft, so long as you can lift it. Inhibits the gun from climbing more. So yes in a light jog you could probably spray and pray giving you a 50/50 chance to hit at 20m with an automatic weapon. By light jog I mean enough so that you can still reasonably control where the gun is pointing and your arms aren't jiggling all over the damn place.

I would adore a realistic special forces mission in OFP2 where you have to navigate using escape map and stars

There is a mission like this allready in the CWC campaign. wink_o.gif

i think unless there is some gameplay changes, a full physics engine in flashpoint 2 would probably go unused but it could help with vehicles to vehicle contact,CQB and landing the  helicopters on ships smile_o.gif

As for trespasser,the arm system was a good idea but it should of been made stronger.

I`ve just though of an other thing.

Removing the sky box or whatever causes the missiles to explode when u shoot them straight up.

Goldeneye on the n64 was cool in that respect, u could fire rockets into the air for ages then sit for a few minutes until they came raining down like an airstrike biggrin_o.gif

hehe yea.. look here it is.

That weasel... crazy_o.gif  mad_o.gif  wink_o.gif

Thats almost as bad as what I saw in a GR forum. They said that only GR and Vietcong used ironsights! mad_o.gifmad_o.gifmad_o.gif

Removing the sky box or whatever causes the missiles to explode when u shoot them  straight up.

Goldeneye on the n64 was cool in that respect, u could fire rockets into the air for ages then sit for a few minutes until they came raining down like an  airstrike biggrin_o.gif

Good Idea, I would like that as well.

Quote[/b] ]Change the water physics dammit!!

I want to be able to swim and dive.

I second this motion!!! biggrin_o.gif

Removing the sky box or whatever causes the missiles to explode when u shoot them  straight up.

Goldeneye on the n64 was cool in that respect, u could fire rockets into the air for ages then sit for a few minutes until they came raining down like an  airstrike biggrin_o.gif

they explode mid air because of fuses/timers/<insert other method here> not cos of a sky box, you can in a plane go on for ever to disprove the skybox theory (18000 was the highest i got before i got bored and went into a dive) (this is in OFP btw)

About getting deaf... You'd hear your ears ring after you have continiously fired a M249 SAW. Would be nice if this was implemented in the game.

Belive me...I have what you want to have implemented on OFP2 in RL for 9 years now....a constant ring of the ears...24/7/365.....nothing really funny. I don't think stuff like that needs implementing in a game. wink_o.gif

they explode mid air because of fuses/timers/<insert other method here> not cos of a sky box, you can in a plane go on for ever to disprove the skybox theory (18000 was the highest i got before i got bored and went into a dive)  (this is in OFP btw)

Are u saying  it could be fixed by making  an add-on that doesn`t do it or  is OFP being realistic rock.gif

I think it would be cool if  u  could do  it for some weapons so  u could  use a  law like a mortar biggrin_o.gif

dont quote me on this, but i think they do explode after a certain time, though untill someone with experiance with them comes along and proves/disproves it, its just my best guess

Quote[/b] ]Change the water physics dammit!!

I want to be able to swim and dive.  

I second this motion!!! biggrin_o.gif

I too!

It would be great if we could add a naval warfare element to OFP too biggrin_o.gif

Uziyahu--IDF

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Out of all of the people here that are asking for swimming, I wonder how many have tried it with only a Battle Dress Uniform (BDU, the standard U.S. camo outfit) coat (i.e., long-sleeved shirt with pockets) and trousers (i.e., pants)...

It'll kick your ass. I'd hate to have to try it with a Kevlar, L.B.E., loading magazines, a weapon, a full canteen, and boots on, not to mention a flak jacket or kevlar vest and loaded rucksack!

Swimming should definitely be left to civilian characters, Black Ops, combat divers, and frogs. Regular soldiers should only be able to wade or ford through the water (weapon raised over the head?) in a very light current, otherwise they'll need to drop most of their gear.

Comments from others who have been through "Water Indoctrination"?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well since most Marine's in vietnam only wore loose shirts, loose pants. Their only equipment they carried were their Boots, Helmet, Gun, and Ammo. Atleast that's what way most likely. Swimming wouldn't be too hard in that. --Harnu

+++++

That is exactly the kind of uniform I am talking about. Yes, it is not easy to swim in that stuff, even without helmet, boots, webgear, weapon and ammo.

Has anyone else actually tried swimming with a pair of BDU trousers, BDU coat, and a T-shirt on underneath?

Surely I'm not the only one! --Uziyahu-IDF

I've done it, but with modern British kit, so I'm not sure if it'd be the same in the OFP scenario.

Basically, you patrol up to the water you want to cross, then stick out a few sentries, the rest of the section get naked, put on their waterproof gear only, put everything else back in the bergen, squeeze the bergen into their bivvy bag, then scouts/ sentries go across first. The bivvy bag will float (just) and you hold the rifle on it with one hand and swim with the other hand and legs. Then the rest come over the same way.

But the kit the soldiers are wearing in ofp and therefore probably in OFP2 is only webbing, so they wouldn't have most of that equipment, so ignore me smile_o.gif

With webbing and everything, I think swimming should be possible for about 5 / 10 minutes before death. If there was an option to dump kit when in water (which is why we don't tape up the front webbing straps - so you can just pull them right through and dump it in water) then swimming for longer would be possible.

I say 5/ 10 minutes because the combat swimming test involves swimming for 2 minutes with all that kit on as you get in the water, so with additional motivation (fear of death) soldiers should be able to go longer.

I've done it as well, flight suit, boots all your shit hanging off you, quite hard.

It would be very good to have missions where the first big challenge is crossing a river, that's where all the training deaths come from. the strongest swimmer goes first with a rope and everyone follows, looking out for pirahannas and crocodiles, that is in the jungle anyway.

Yey! OFP2!

Whenever i come to this section of the forum my heart skips about 30 beats, yes i die for about 50 seconds.

Quote[/b] ]I`ve just though of an other thing.

Removing the sky box or whatever causes the missiles to explode when u shoot them straight up.

Goldeneye on the n64 was cool in that respect, u could fire rockets into the air for ages then sit for a few minutes until they came raining down like an airstrike biggrin_o.gif

honestly there is no skybox, and u can test it even with LAW.. there is a addon, i don't remember what it was, some Napalm(don't remember by whom, very nice addon anyway), that u can add in rockets, so if the rocket explodes, the napalm fire addon kicks in... it was cool with AH-1 and it's rockets, but even cooler, when i but it on LAW, put the mission time 00:00 and shot the rocket up in the air... when the LAW exploded, the napalm started to work, and HUGE ball of fire with VERY NEAT tail came flaming down the sky like a big meteor... best view ever in the game ;)

Quote[/b] ]Quote

honestly there is no skybox, and u can test it even with LAW.. there is a addon, i don't remember what it was, some Napalm(don't remember by whom, very nice addon anyway), that u can add in rockets, so if the rocket explodes, the napalm fire addon kicks in... it was cool with AH-1 and it's rockets, but even cooler, when i but it on LAW, put the mission time 00:00 and shot the rocket up in the air... when the LAW exploded, the napalm started to work, and HUGE ball of fire with VERY NEAT tail came flaming down the sky like a big meteor... best view ever in the game ;)

and look, i found the napalm and did it again, now with screenie ;) meteor.JPG

- of course realistic physics, so ground vehicles can NOT go up hills steper than 45°. (usually much lesser)

-- Tanks and other military vehicles can climb hills that have slopes up to 60 %. I also think that tanks are often much to slow in OPF when the climb hills. Even when they use roads and the hill is not very steep.

Just a quick angle metrics excercise:

45° is the same as 100 %

30° is the same as 60 %.