Sign in to follow this  
9mm

Game physics

And yet I'm experiencing desyncs when damage values are transferred to clients :)

Meaning, I don't think we're ready for that just yet.

What game/API is that? Desyncs usually are caused by high pings or bad values or the lack of error correction.

Hi all

Flaccid Dick physics is a no no for several reasons.

1) Impossible to sync over broadband limited to the speed of light. Main reason that DR failed and why most other Flaccid Dick physics games are not MP capable.

2) Does not scale to high entity count games like BIS's OFP and ArmA series, suffers from exponential CPU load.

3) Waste of an inordinate number of CPU cycles on what is when comes down to it is fluff of little simulation value; when they would be better used on improving other aspects of the simulation.

In current technology terms Flaccid Dick physics is a dead end as CM found out with DR.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

@SgtH3nry3: Try modding Domination to use much smaller delays on DPICM artillery rounds. In real life, everything happens almost instantly. In Domination, it happens over time. For a reason. Maybe not "desync" (although often it would start with a yellow chain), but would quickly crash a server.

IMHO better to utilize P.A.L. (Physics Abstraction Layer) while use as base physical engine e.g. Bullet Physics Library

via PAL you can interact to dozen other physical engines ...

this way You get easy access to cost effective (no license fees) OpenCL accelerated physics

You can also then interact Bullet with e.g. DMM and accelerate both via OpenCL

Edited by Dwarden

1) Impossible to sync over broadband limited to the speed of light. Main reason that DR failed and why most other Flaccid Dick physics games are not MP capable.

2) Does not scale to high entity count games like BIS's OFP and ArmA series, suffers from exponential CPU load.

3) Waste of an inordinate number of CPU cycles on what is when comes down to it is fluff of little simulation value; when they would be better used on improving other aspects of the simulation.

In current technology terms Flaccid Dick physics is a dead end as CM found out with DR.

Kind Regards walker

Yeah I agree with you sir Walker, the fancy havok physics are not needed, BIS only should add more properties to their death animations, like adding constraints if you hit a wall when falling to your death you will just smack it and fall back the otherway, I love the death animations in A2, if BIS only added more ways for the deaths to play and more properties of the corpses you get really good simulations of physics without all the performance hits you would get while running ragdolls and havok. Its total overkill for todays tech and connection speeds, Dragon rising would've did alot better off without Havok physics. :)

I'm not sure what caused this tank to do this, I just placed him in the editor with no scripting whatsoever. This is actually me taking the shot on its way down, took me a second to reach the screenshot button - it reached a much higher altitude at first...

flyingt72small.jpg

Recreated it and now caught it even higher:

flyingt722small.jpg

Edited by galzohar

Probably drove over a stone :p

Nope, I just placed it in the editor with no waypoints whatsoever and it bounced right away.

It does happen when you do place unit in the another object. Just place the tank slightly above terrain(objects like rocks etc.) to let him land properly, without launching trebuchet.

Why don't we use the Modules for SP when it comes to Ragdoll? I've never enjoyed MP so I could care less about MP issues.

I am fine with the collisions the way they are, it's quantity over quality.

Ragdoll physics would be too laggy, since they would have to be synced to every client (otherwise, how would you get "gear" from dead guys, and still be positioned near their bodies on other player's screens).

Vehicles not sliding down slight inclines would be nice though.

Not realistic land. Try to shoot from an AK in a cold, rainy weather in the ground. And you can hear the distinctive "zilch" and a small puff of smoke above the place where the bullet pleased:)). And sometimes the bullets ricochet (off the walls, armor stone and other hard materials.).

I hope you will correct these defects. Thanks in advance.

Dust has nothing to do with physics.

And as for the ricochet, what's wrong with that?

Now maybe I don't know jack about realistic ricochet effects, but am I the only one who noticed that if I am in the machine gun on a humvee and I fire it at the grassy ground at night in some random patch of wilderness EVERY tracer round ricochets into the air?

Is this realistic? I mean EVERY round is bouncing off the ground and flying straight up into the sky. I mean, its so big of a ricochet that I can probably use it to aim at helicopters if I really tried.

Yeah, ricochets are quite over-done but then again I never actually noticed it affecting gameplay in a noticeable way.

Death animations are fine. But the game needs proper vehicle collision physics... Seeing a tank drive over a rock and do a back flip isn't really "realistic". :p

Seeing a tank drive over a rock and do a back flip isn't really "realistic". :p

i agree but i have seen worse things. Such as a T72 and BMP2 like 50-60m up in the air.

would be nice if BI released the source everytime they make a new Arma that will let the community truely keep it alive.

Sure, might as well release their games for free while we're at it. What does this have to do with physics BTW?

just jokin around how yall said I needed source code to use the Nvidia physx/havok in Arma 2:D

That's not physics, though, that's animations. And to be honest, the game has much bigger problems with animations than the ladder climbing animation, but yeah, it looks pretty bad.

Unreal Tournament, at least the old one which I remember, uses a special pose when the player is typing. So maybe a new "hand signal", where player takes hand to ear, while a player is typing (or chatting?) would be useful?

That's not physics, though, that's animations. And to be honest, the game has much bigger problems with animations than the ladder climbing animation, but yeah, it looks pretty bad.

yes thats wat i mean...

i was such a smart ass when i was jong, my teacher tought-

i shouldnt come back anymore.

sometimes i mix tings up, maybe its the language barrier.

:Oo:

for example, explosion damage is physics.?..

It's not about being a smart-ass, it's about trying to reply to what you said while trying to not make the thread go too much off topic at the same time. When there are 78 pages in the thread it's not very fun to read if 1/2 of them have nothing to do with what the reader came in to read. So let's stop with this mess.

Now... I wonder if we will get any physics improvements in arrowhead - as far as I recall I hadn't seen anything physics-related in all the Arrowhead promotions.