Sign in to follow this  
9mm

Game physics

Something along the lines of NaturalMotion's euphoria "engine" would have been great, even if very basic.

The problem with the climb over fence solution at the moment is it's attachment to a key.

If the game could sense what the player wants, it could "automatically" hop over fences of various heights with a couple of preset stances for optimal net performance.

It would have been better for interaction with body to vehicle collisions aswell, not to mention animation-based character interaction such as body dragging or corpsman interaction.

Things like terrain/centrifugal interaction inside vehicles, i.e shaking characters in vehicles when driving through bumpy terrain or flying with tight turns would come as a nice addition.

This video is of the only game I know that uses a true balistics to armor and internal components. It is the MMO Battleground europe. The video is old with out dated graphics but the mechanics are the same.

If ARMA could move away from the gamey "hit point" system and implement something like this, it would go a long way in cornering the market for being a true war sim.

Yeah, World War II Online / Battleground Europe's system is awesome, though you do get complaints about bugs and the discussion/feedback gets highly technical, probably more technical than the gun-shy Bohemia Interactive team wants to get.

Personally, I would LOVE to see B.I. and the Cornered Rats MERGE their two development approaches into one AWESOME tac-shooter.

Edited by Uziyahu--IDF

Where to begin? Physics has been the weakpoint of every BIS game, I appreciate that fully dynamic physics are out of the question in the current engine, but rather than seeing work-arounds all the time, like reducing the forward speed to half when the upward speed of a tank is abnormally high is just cheap. It would take some real work for the BIS guys to make any noteworthy changes to the physics, but I think everyone would agree that it would add to the immersion and make Arma2 acceptable to a much wider audience.

1. Mass, weight and gravity - Tanks do not feel real at all, cars drive quite nicely this time around, but armour should not use the same system, they slip and slide as if they have gathered no momentum at all, there is no feeling that you are driving a steel behemoth. There is still the age old bug of vehicles launching hundreds of feet in the air on colliding with a certain object at a certain angle - please implement some kind of weight/mass system that actually works.

2. Traction and friction - this goes hand in hand with weight; traction has been implemented for different surfaces, but tank tracks seem to slide sideways as if there was no downward pressure whatsoever, this needs to change, it is very silly indeed.

3. Material penetration - this existed to a degree in arma did it not? it seems to have disappeared alltogether this time round. Every material should have a different thickness/resistance value, so that .50 cal rounds can go through concrete etc. I do not see what is so complicated about this. Even COD4 had decent material penetration, and it doesn't even pretend to be realistic. Sort it out.

That's all for now, I'll be back with more whining later.

Where to begin? Physics has been the weakpoint of every BIS game, I appreciate that fully dynamic physics are out of the question in the current engine, but rather than seeing work-arounds all the time, like reducing the forward speed to half when the upward speed of a tank is abnormally high is just cheap. It would take some real work for the BIS guys to make any noteworthy changes to the physics, but I think everyone would agree that it would add to the immersion and make Arma2 acceptable to a much wider audience.

1. Mass, weight and gravity - Tanks do not feel real at all, cars drive quite nicely this time around, but armour should not use the same system, they slip and slide as if they have gathered no momentum at all, there is no feeling that you are driving a steel behemoth. There is still the age old bug of vehicles launching hundreds of feet in the air on colliding with a certain object at a certain angle - please implement some kind of weight/mass system that actually works.

2. Traction and friction - this goes hand in hand with weight; traction has been implemented for different surfaces, but tank tracks seem to slide sideways as if there was no downward pressure whatsoever, this needs to change, it is very silly indeed.

3. Material penetration - this existed to a degree in arma did it not? it seems to have disappeared alltogether this time round. Every material should have a different thickness/resistance value, so that .50 cal rounds can go through concrete etc. I do not see what is so complicated about this. Even COD4 had decent material penetration, and it doesn't even pretend to be realistic. Sort it out.

Agree with this comment completly. This should be re-done.

Physics on Arma 2 sucks, but gameplay is really good :) Character movements are very realistic but vehicles are not..

And some shade retouch could help this game and don't tell me about unrealistic colors & co. ..who looks for the colors when you "feel the war" while you play?

And fix that CROW (spectator) in da game because looks funny ("wooden") and flying with it over the map is like flying a plane.

The problem with the climb over fence solution at the moment is it's attachment to a key.

Double-tap foward could solve the problem. Or G15 keyboard could solve this by editing macro key.

p.s. sorry my bad English typ0 :P

where to begin? Physics has been the weakpoint of every bis game...

100% ack!

The physics are not all that bad, I quite like them ... no, I WOULD like them. The problem is that they are too slow to act. If the objects reacted faster it would be quite nice.

Of course, there are many other problems like material penetration (tanks have health bars effectively - sigh) and friction.

Generally they are quite good though, especially in ArmA2, I've seen a real improvement.

Little fix I would like to see in time: Explosives launching men and vehicles high into the sky. Having them obliterated would be much more impressive and I guess not too much work.

Just some recent observations.

On the opening shots of a street battle, an RPG hit a man at the front, launching him straight up into the stratosphere.

Dropped an LGB on a laser spot, looked over my shoulder to see a burning UAZ arcing gracefully through the air several hundred feet above the ground...

Yah is obvious right from the very start that ArmA & Arma 2 use a souped up version of the OFP engine, and the physics have not improved at all since OFP, kinda sucks to drive a truck in to sign post or fence only to have it fall over it predetermined way.

Dont even get me started on vehicle to vehicle collisions.

Also in the visual department, the vehicle damage models look worse than they did in OFP (where they became distorted.) Buildings display damage more accuratley though :)

also the alpha channel / 'bullet hole on glass effect' looks really poor and is sometimes invisible depending on the lighting.

Some GTA 4 style damage modelling and Physics would have been perfect for ArmA 2.

For some reason this is something that all simulators seem to skimp on.

Edited by v11cu96

good point.

Since the stoneage GTA managed to get a very nice damage model (maybe not that realistic, but it gets you into the game)

but still my helicopter rotors look like they were used for target practice when i hit the ground a litte hard with my helicopter.

Why does the engine fall out wheny my vats are tickeld by gras?

HELL and the rest of my chopper looks like someone spend an saturday afternoon polishing it....

Yeah the game physics....

damn a brick wall doesn't fall over like a piece of wood.

Even the wallpieces with a big hole do that.

And my Tank gets an olympic medal in gymnastics when it hits a crappy, 4 bricks high wall....

edit:

these are physics...

even here you see repeating behaviour, but its masked very good

Edited by Hiramas

About walls, yeah they do fall like peice of wood, it means each wall section is a mere 6 polys for each face, maybe thats why?

but you can still have better wall peices and breakage - with out going nuts on poly count, its not like we are asking for indervidual bricks to go flying... so there no excuse really...

Anyone remember that OFP bug, where if you shot a tank with an automatic rifle, it would bounce up and down on its suspension as if an elephant was humping it :)

havent tested this Arma 2, but i think its gone - thank god.

Edited by v11cu96

Grenades, they are usless. I get hurt off them rather than the other player. through them at a house and its not killing them.

In game sound direction is terrible whos shooting where.

Edited by [-DST-] Anth

Anth;1377372']Grenades' date=' they are usless. I get hurt off them rather than the other player. through them at a house and its not killing them.

In game sound direction is terrible whos shooting where.[/quote']

/agree, grenade control is severly lacking. While I've never thrown one IRL, I suspect it's kind of akin to throwing... well, a stone? I know I've much more control on my throws IRL than I have in ArmA. + it's too slow an animation

Next time, make a whole new engine. This engine has been in development in over 10 years they say, well maybe a newer engine will be more complex, efficient, sophisticated and less buggy.

Edited by Robinio

Something really bothered me on this game is you can plow an entire forest with an APC, while you can't pass over a wall of rubbles. This is to me unacceptable. OFP originally allowed you to plow singles trees but you couldn't on dense forests, I was ok with this.

Hmm. WWII Online: Battleground Europe looks like they got the "physics" spot on. The vehicles look like the respond quite realistically to being driven. I don't think we can have actual physics in the Havok/physx sense.But I cant seen why the points system cant be upgraded to something like WWII Onlines. This system could probably deal with vehicle-tree and wall collisions quite well too.

Next time, make a whole new engine. This engine has been in development in over 10 years they say, well maybe a newer engine will be more complex, efficient, sophisticated and less buggy.

Damn straight. Should have learned from Flashpoint, then made a new engine without the limitations.

You can drift in tanks. 'Nuff said.

Lol, that's fun, I hope BIS doesn't take it out.:p

Though If you tried it IRL that would fuck the tracks and or flip the thing.

Lol, that's fun, I hope BIS doesn't take it out.:p

Though If you tried it IRL that would fuck the tracks and or flip the thing.

O RLY :smiley-blunder:

:tounge_o:

O RLY :smiley-blunder:

:tounge_o:

Wet tarmac is not exactly a typical surface. ;) ArmA tanks slide all over the place in all conditions.

Wet tarmac is not exactly a typical surface. ;) ArmA tanks slide all over the place in all conditions.

Check some of the related videos, theres a lot of tank sliding on dry surfaces too...