Sign in to follow this  
bn880

Graphics engine improvement

+100 Gummipunkte!

The time has come to give us some real improvements :yay:

Would be nice if someone of the programmers can give us some information how the thing affects the performance.

Regards

Did a short search and haven´t found a more appropriate thread for this:

iEJDA7ACi1I

3:20 - render to texture possible in ArmA engine!

Scrap all DLC, we want r2t, now :butbut:

YESYESYESYES!!!!

R2T vehicle mirrors, MFD's, computer screens, security systems, YESYESYESYES!!!!

Almost makes me want to buy VBS2 if I had the money! :eek:

..... Yes, it is fixed over time (as someone stated earlier, 2 years is about the time it takes for the game to get playable, then shortly later a new game is here and it's back to square one), but with each new game there is a slew of new features added and with that come more bugs which I believe outweigh the benefits.

Just my 2 cents I suppose.

This is spot on!

For once in this games ten year career please get everything we already have working. It's more than enough content. We don't need more broken stuff.

It seems to me the broken stuff is actually intentional....for whatever reasons.

Maybe some kind of business plan on BIS's part!....I am starting to believe that's exactly what it is. To get ideas and fixed code from the public and turn around and sell it back to us....but who really knows!

This is spot on!

Jinef already had it spot on 4 years ago ... as sad as it is, i´ve saved the post because i knew it´s gonna be valid to something ArmA related even in the future.

Yarex, we have been waiting five years.

A lot of people in my little game community are quite dissapointed with ArmA because it has had lots of development in certain areas and been ignored in others, mainly the ones where my community are interested.

Imagine if BIS were building a rifle for the military. (An easy analogy as everyone on this forum seems to be a gun fanatic)

Version 1.0 - Gun fires but has no safety catch, magazine falls out, the sight is wobbly and turns bright pink when it gets wet.

Version 1.96 - Gun is stable, but still has a few annoying quirks and a serious problem with the magazine falling out.

New Gun (ArmA) - Well, this gun has a diamond encrusted stock, a silver trigger guard, gold trim on the carrying handle and a laser pointer attached. The magazine still falls out though, and it still jams easily.

Do you think the military would buy this gun?

Making a product shiny and pretty does not matter if it has fundamental functionality problems. ArmA is simply OFP with botox, until BIS fixes the same shit that was in OFP, it is not really worth playing.

Hi, in my opinion remove the reflections on all the game's models will be an improvement, booth in the visual field as in the game's performance; it's an insult to see that the AV-8BII+ is as shinny as a F-86 Sabre or the USAF's F-100D Super Sabre; and same goes for the rest of the games objects, vehicles and units.

Made me very sad to see that the ArmA1 had better graphics (textures) shape than the ArmA2 where everything looks as made of plastic (like the BDUs or human skin) or made out of lube gel, like the vehicles and weapons. I think that will be an improvement to remove the UV maps from most of the game's models, from all the things not made of glass or similar properties materials. Let's C ya

Beginning at about 00:30 I find the game world in this graphics engine to have almost perfect lighting...

y1xYiehWEqI

I'd be happy without any additional visual "fluff" to the game... like yet more resource taxing and annoying post-processed effects and shaders... instead I'd like them to fix their LOD popping and flickering problems and end the Z-Fighting texture glitches .

All the improvements to the visual world in ArmA2 are for not with these plainly visible defects present. They quickly destroy the sense of awe for A2 and make it look far worse then ArmA 1.

Entire buildings that flicker, "billboard" trees and greenery that mutates in plain sight.... I'm forever tweaking and tuning my settings trying to kill these distractions and have yet to succeed.

why have cars the good fine smoke when they drive on dirty ground.

and all the other have the ugly flower smoke - smoke grenades, explosions, rockets, fire and all the other things.

two differend particel systhems in game ??

I agree it's time for some updates to the graphics.

But to bring about increased immersion not flashy reasons.

* making the terrain and envirnments look even more realistic,

* shadows that are cast even in the mid to far distance (right if you open some maps with forests you get terrible looking bright green grass under dark trees effect - looks like 2001 gfx then),

* proper blurring around ironsights and of focal point,

* variable wind that affects smoke patricles, etc

Edited by twisted

I dont understand maturin.

You mention lighting and glare but then link to a thread about your shit laptop that makes no mention of the subject.

What gives?

I dont understand maturin.

You mention lighting and glare but then link to a thread about your shit laptop that makes no mention of the subject.

What gives?

LMAO yeah same here your confusing us brah.

Outeraa:

molnibalage wrote:

"Is it capable to handle aerodynamic forces or ballistic modelling for bullets, artillery shells or unguided rockects? What about radar (this is one of the hardest), RWR, ground clutter, IR signiture AI eyball, ect. modeling for a hardcore sim? If currently it does not do you have ideas or plans to ensure this?"

Developer: "Well, currently we are focusing on the terrain rendering and connected things, which are important for the engine's usability in various target apps, but we are also integrating other functionality along the way - mostly for demonstrative purposes at the moment.

At the time we do not have resources to implement all the functionality that a hardcore simulator will require, so we are including stuff that helps to show what is possible. At the same time it must not be overly taxing our resources, as we have to implement core rendering features first. Specific functionality will be developed on demand for our customers, but we are selecting our customers so that their demands are not unrealistic smile

Many of the features you mention can be also developed in coordination with them - we would be providing the low level functionality that will make it easier, while they would be implementing the high level part. As an example, damage modeling would consist of collision feedback functions that we can provide more effectively, but the actual damage response will be handled in the game code.

BTW we did test some ballistic modeling already, and AFAIK JSBSim includes flight dynamics models for rockets as well."

Saw this while reading the forums, he also mentions the trees:

"Most of you can get over the fact that the trees are simple at the moment, that there are just a few terrain materials etc etc, because you can extrapolate and imagine what could become of it."

IMHO I'm very impressed with outeraa and maybe one day we will have another military sim to work with because we know BI will not switch engines. I'm just waiting on the rest of my computer parts to get here and will be playing O.A with you guys, But I must say I'm eager to play the outeraa demo.

I hope I won't have to buy an expensive video card.

What good video card isn't expensive? Most likely you will need one for ArmA 3. I'm sure by then it will hit Crysis quality.

I hope they rebuild the entire engine for Armed Assault 3 with DX11 only!

being incapable of generating trees and buildings that don't destroy performance, maybe they need to contract speedtree.

being incapable of generating trees and buildings that don't destroy performance, maybe they need to contract speedtree.

Maybe you need a better card. :p

my card(9800gtx) was already top of the line when arma 2 came out. my cpu, a i7 920, runs all applications and games without a hint of slow down. i basically crank all my settings up to high/very high. yet arma 2/oa, i leave it at low/normal. i am currently saving to upgrade to a better video card so i'm not too peeved about the situation. i just think it's a bit silly to expect us to wait a few years until there is hardware available that allows us to run this game at a respectable quality to fps ratio.

the core of my message: there's always room for improvement, especially in terms of performance. i see no reason why this area should be given the highest priority right now. i mean ease up on the dlc stuff, you're going to run out of ideas soon.

I think BIS need to do two things:

Optimise the object rendering code a little better (ie improve fps when extra trees and/or buildings are involved)

Improve particle effects IMMENSELY (is there an underline feature in these forums, i need it :p). Seriously, there are so many technologies out there that generate fire and smoke effects that, once the physics are baked, can be lit and displayed in REAL TIME 60fps or higher. I don't want explosions that interact with everything, i just want more then a grey blob.

If BIS do not intend to improve the fps, then they need to make their code for gun handling (the one that simulates momentum etc) work at fps rates lower than 40 at which point it becomes laggy.

Anyway, thats my input, thanks for the great game :)

In all honesty, the deciduous speedtrees in Oblivion look better.

What good video card isn't expensive? Most likely you will need one for ArmA 3. I'm sure by then it will hit Crysis quality.

koolkid wrote it in 2003 :D (one of the first postings in this old thread)