Sign in to follow this  
CanVagabond

Ai helicopter gunners(machine gun)

I'm sure a topic or two has been done on this but I'm also assuming that the latest patches have changed the rules.

Is there ANY specidic speed or height I need to be at for the gunner's to see and open fire?

Usually I set them to engage at will and alternate with no success between Danger and Alert.

I know the target one guys and the AI can see the rest of the squad trick but that's cheap.

It is more a question for the mission editing forum

But , in the time this will be moved there , here some hints

-The AI UH60 machinegunner is not as accurate as an AI M2 Machinegunner , mostly because the chopper move (and M2 machinegunner is more deadly than a sniper) , so dont be surprised that you will see bullet flying everywhere around you without killing you wink.gif

-You must give the UH60 MG waypoint with LOW speed only , if you want to help him a little for the accuracy , and remember he can open fire ONLY on one side of the chopper , so select your waypoints and position carefully

-Finally , you have to set the height low ( flyinheight command to 15 , 20 or 30 , but no more test ingame to see the differences ) for him to see easier his ground targets and so engage them more

With that you will give more effectiveness to your UH60 MG

-And for optimum behaviour , do that

Create a West Pilot , name him A1, in his init line , put

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">A1 moveindriver CHOPPER<span id='postcolor'>

Create another West Pilot , name it A2 and in his init line , put

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">A2 moveingunner CHOPPER<span id='postcolor'>

Un-Group them if the editor link them (important)

Create an Empty UH60-MG , name it CHOPPER

Make for the A1 guy you have created , the MOVE waypoint you want the UH60 to use.

In the First Waypoint, set the speed to Limited

Set his behaviour to CARELESS (important, you dont want the pilot of the chopper to go crazy and accelerate when he will see the enemy , you can be sure he will miss a lot of waypoint after that and give accuracy problem to his gunner)

In the init line of the waypoint , put

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">CHOPPER flyinheight 20<span id='postcolor'>

create an East group away (select the waypoint to fly around them , and the last waypoint must be a CYCLE one to repeat the circle around them)

You will have the good surprise to see the pilot of the chopper with a lot of calm flying around the enemy squad and the machinegunner to kill them all

That is the way your UH60-MG can have the most usefullness.

Remember to ungroup the 2 pilot and use an Empty UH60 MG , that is important

If you use just a West UH60 MG, you will encounter the pilot crazy ness problem and he will lose some waypoint and will not open the good angle to fire for his machinegunner

This should stick in general since I'M flying the damned chopper.

Though those are useful hints and all, I'm curious about them gunning when I'm piloting.

For instance, I have the updated MH47E from BAS, and the air support mission I hover around but my gunner won't shoot at much, if at all. Even if I fly too low for standard ops (oh well), just curious if there's a trick to it that way.

EDIT

Just reread that and got some clues.

EDIT 2

Tried, no luck. I flooded a town with ammo-less russian soldiers (just for testing). I had the chopper full AI but they only shot a little bit, maybe three spurts. I piloted, it didn't fire at all.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Tried, no luck. I flooded a town with ammo-less russian soldiers (just for testing). I had the chopper full AI but they only shot a little bit, maybe three spurts<span id='postcolor'>

That is more than strange, because if you follow the method i posted up there, it must work, a full AI UH60-MG can kill easily russian squads

I followed it exactly, even spread or closed up the waypoints going around the city, and yes, the chopper's ponted the right way.

Well CanVagabond what Sanctuary said worked for me i had a black hawk providing fire support as i advanced into a town quite effective actually but the heli is slow takes forever to go any where.

Well I got Sanctuary's mail and I don't like turning the enemy into a berserk non fighting force(IE won't run or duck, just stand around)

CanVagabond

You are joking or what ?

In the demo mission i sent you

-You are not forced to have a "standing up" runing everywhere enemy force

-You are not forced to have immortal machinegunner and chopper

Those 2 features were there just for the show and are not obligation part of the demonstration, if you dont like them , you know what to do , edit the init line.

But the chopper behaviour is right, they are accurate and kill , just try to be a russian guy, you will be killed if you run in town .

Next time you want some help , ask someone other , as you are never happy sad.gif

Now i hate the black hawks because they are so danm effective well thanks for sharing this info Sanctuary

I am happy that you found this method usefull rouge1 wink.gif

But , i continue to find very strange the fact that the usually "trigger happy" moderators wink.gif have not moved this thread in the Mission Editing & Scripting forum. yet

Is this the sign of the beginning of the end ?

The big problem is the M2. It fires TOO slowly. The BAS MH47 always engages with its Gatling gun and is an effective gun platform-- this is the main reason to look forward to their Blackhawks. The M60's on the SEB pack are good also biggrin.gif .

Ben

Yeah BAS MH47 is a effective gun platform

here i will give you an example i used to here the engines of the MH47 in the distance and thought well it never shoots perfect pray now i think quick run to the nearst bunker