Sign in to follow this  
Oligo

Military standard issue bodyarmor

I recently "stumbled" upon a fine example of a german 1990 issue flak vest (Splitterschutzweste GL). I noticed that the Kevlar panels were about 5mm in thickness, whereas I know that the U.S. issue flak vest has kevlar panels of about 10mm in thickness. I understand that the main function of both of these vests is to give protection against shrapnel, so what I'd like to know is why the germans decided to put less kevlar in the vest and if 5mm is enough against shrapnel, why did the yankees put more kevlar in theirs?

Flak vests, though they often contain Kevlar, are not designed to stop bullets -- not even low-powered ones from handguns.

There are a number of factors that affect the design of body armor. To start, there are different generations of Kevlar and similar synthetic fibers, as well as different weaving and construction methods. Sometimes, different fibers are combined to suit specific requirements.

The exact reason why the German flak vest has a thinner Kevlar panel is unclear to me. Without counting the number of layers and knowing what generation of Kevlar was used, and whether it was combined with other fibers, it is hard to tell if it does in fact provide less protection than the U.S. vests.

"Flak vests, though they often contain Kevlarâ„¢, are not designed to stop bullets -- not even low-powered ones from handguns."

Yes, I was talking about shrapnel from exploding artillery/mortar shells (Although I seriously doubt that a 9mm hollow point from a pistol can penetrate even a flak vest, being designed to mushroom upon impact on flesh).

"The exact reason why the German flak vest has a thinner Kevlar panel is unclear to me. Without counting the number of layers and knowing what generation of Kevlar was used, and whether it was combined with other fibers, it is hard to tell if it does in fact provide less protection than the U.S. vests."

You probably right. But I was thinking that Balchoiw might have worn one in the past and thus might have an idea about the ballistic prowess of the german vest.