Sign in to follow this  
IceFire

War games dealing in immersion and

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ April 11 2003,08:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ April 11 2003,08:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ April 11 2003,08<!--emo&wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well I'll be.<span id='postcolor'>

What?<span id='postcolor'>

hmm?<span id='postcolor'>

What are you talking about?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ April 11 2003,08:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ April 11 2003,08:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ April 11 2003,08:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ April 11 2003,08<!--emo&wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well I'll be.<span id='postcolor'>

What?<span id='postcolor'>

hmm?<span id='postcolor'>

What are you talking about?<span id='postcolor'>

Was I talking about something? I was just sharing in your surprise at the sudden appearance of "no háblo espańol" in your profile. Who would do such a thing?

hehe the ironic justice of the mods, well not really justice but just the little comments, aren't they great?

Well i would like to say something like hind, where almost everything is in russian, pity it's got shitty graphics but some really good gameplay.

Hey icefire, is there an American Nationalist party? I think you might fit in there. Or even the HUAC!

Check out the link in my signature, it's great.

http://www.worldzone.net/arts/doktorgee/HUAC.htm

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Oligo @ April 11 2003,07:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Heh, yesterday I played Il-2 Forgotten Battles and I must say that the finnish voice actors are on the par in that game too. Almost all sentences are laced with swear-words and the phrases they use are straight from the authentic military jargon.

"Perkele, mulla on ryssä perässä!"<span id='postcolor'>

once again: translation please! biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">no háblo espańol<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey, what does that say under my name??

I never saw that before! It doesn't look like english. I didn't put that there!

<span id='postcolor'>

lol that's pretty ironic. tounge.gif

"Perkele" means damn or hell...thats about all I know from that sentence...

And, from the TV show "Moi Mukulat" we also learnt "yksi", "kaksi", "kolmen"...I think. And "sauna", thats a given, as is Soumi.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ April 09 2003,21:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Does GTA3 count? tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

"Hey, Senor Dickhead, get outta the car!" smile.gif

Definately does count. smile.gif One game you guys forgot to mention was SOF1, I remember that the Russians spoke Russian, and that the African guys on the train level spoke whatever language is spoken in that country that the train was in (I think it was Kenya).

I knew I was forgetting one or two, Novalogic's MiG-29 had the absolute best Russian radio chatter I've heard in any sim. It's truly a shame the the flight model was crap and the AI was worse. However the multiplayer did make it worthwhile, and it was in that sim that I joined (co-founded) my first online squad.

Also, Eagle Dynamic's Su-27 is the only sim I've played to repesent a modern Russian fighter's cockpit instruments and heads up display in authentic cyrillic. It was also extreemely cool how radically different the avionics were from those represented by simulators featuring Western fighters. Can't wait for Lo-mac smile.gif.

Keep all the good suggestions coming.

Anything such as so been mentioned works.

But I am primarily looking for first person shooter type games where you are a ground unit.

Not as much flight or tank sims although they still count, real time strategy ones are ok too, but not as much.

Think of "Medal of Honor allied assualt" as a model.

Anyways, keep em coming.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ April 11 2003,07:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I hear they are making a sequel to Medal of Honor Allied assault called : Medal of Honor Underground.

It takes place before Allied assault and it revolves around the French Resistence.   Hopefully it will have the same immersive atmosphere with the French and German languages both in it too.<span id='postcolor'>

underground is a sequel of the first medal of honor on playstation

it must be 4 or 5 years old and has playstation graphism if you see what i mean ......

mohunder.jpg

sry if it looks blured :

0002265,01.jpeg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([TU]$33ker @ April 11 2003,16:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Oligo @ April 11 2003,07:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Heh, yesterday I played Il-2 Forgotten Battles and I must say that the finnish voice actors are on the par in that game too. Almost all sentences are laced with swear-words and the phrases they use are straight from the authentic military jargon.

once again: translation please! biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

It goes something like:

"Goddammit, I have a russkie following me!"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ April 12 2003,03:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Keep all the good suggestions coming.

Anything such as so been mentioned works.

But I am primarily looking for first person shooter type games where you are a ground unit.

Not as much flight or tank sims although they still count, real time strategy ones are ok too, but not as much.

Think of "Medal of Honor allied assualt" as a model.

Anyways, keep em coming.<span id='postcolor'>

Definately SOF2. While it isn't the most realistic SP game, since you don't die quickly (on hard you do tho), the grousome, realistic gore and lots of foreign languages are very cool. The Columbians speak Spanish, the Czechs in the first level speak a Slavic dialect, the Russians speak Russian, etc. It's very cool.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (N.o.R.S.u @ April 12 2003,14:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif1--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([TU]$33ker @ April 11 2003,16wow.gif1)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Oligo @ April 11 2003,07:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Heh, yesterday I played Il-2 Forgotten Battles and I must say that the finnish voice actors are on the par in that game too. Almost all sentences are laced with swear-words and the phrases they use are straight from the authentic military jargon.

once again: translation please! biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

It goes something like:

"Goddammit, I have a russkie following me!"<span id='postcolor'>

thanks! smile.gif

have you heard about this game using the MoH engine and the plot is settled in Vietnam? what was it's name again?? "Men Of Valor" or something like that. what do you think, is it going to have the same features as Moh? like realistic vietnamese voices and swearing.

some info

Somehow I found the gore in SoF1 more violent than in SoF2. There was more blood in SoF1 while SoF2 has quite little (blow up a corpse in SoF1 and compare it to SoF2), also the blood color in SoF2 is too bright. Although SoF2 has much more detailed damaging model, there's no denying that wink.gif.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ April 11 2003,07:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">One of the things about Flashpoint that really made me go "wow" was that mission where you as the pilot bail out and get captured. The Russian voice acting in that mission was so immersive I actually thought I'd be ok If I did everything the Spetz Natz told me to the first time I played it - the way he spoke he seemed very friendly and lighthearted. Then they drive you off and shoot you! LOL I was pretty pissed at him after that.

*edit* The guards yelling and swearing when I tried to escape the second time I played it was great too smile.gif.<span id='postcolor'>

OOH! I was telling someone about that. The exact same thing happened to me the 1st time I played it. I think it is the most realistic ever- in any game. The escape I did was right from Hollywood.

Ben

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (N.o.R.S.u @ April 13 2003,01:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Somehow I found the gore in SoF1 more violent than in SoF2. There was more blood in SoF1 while SoF2 has quite little (blow up a corpse in SoF1 and compare it to SoF2), also the blood color in SoF2 is too bright. Although SoF2 has much more detailed damaging model, there's no denying that wink.gif.<span id='postcolor'>

SOF1's damage model was more exaggerated, while SOF2's is complex and very detailed. SOF1 also had the bullet hole textures appear in pre defined areas, not exactly where u shoot as in SOF2.

One thing thats kinda funny is when they make those spy flicks involving infiltrating russia, and when the actors try to speak russian its such a enormous accent, its hard to follow. Also, there are common grammatical errors and it seems like its just translated in bablefish. For example, in one JB flick I saw, the russian time bomb said, translated "needed things for blowing up", instead of "time until detonation." It just seemed so unintelligent, I just burst oout laughing.

Also, in ghost recon, it seemed like all the russians had heavy central asian/middle eastern accents. smile.gif

"On imel uvazheniya. On nastayashi dzhiggit, panimayeshli!" smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Longinius @ April 11 2003,16:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"Perkele" means damn or hell...thats about all I know from that sentence...<span id='postcolor'>

Actually, literally "perkele" is just another name for the devil.

I'd say that "jumalauta" translates as damn and "helvetti" as hell.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Oligo @ April 14 2003,10:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Longinius @ April 11 2003,16.00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"Perkele" means damn or hell...thats about all I know from that sentence...<span id='postcolor'>

Actually, literally "perkele" is just another name for the devil.

I'd say that "jumalauta" translates as damn and "helvetti" as hell.<span id='postcolor'>

Hmm isn't "jumalauta" same as "goddammit" (jumala=god). And I usually use "prekele" when I mean "damn" tounge.gif. Some very useful Finnish language indeed biggrin.gif.

Ok, I just heard about this new game called "Shadow Warrior".

I downloaded the demo off fileplanet and I just started playing it.

It seems cool, it takes place in Japan so there must be speech in Japanese.

It's about a ninja warrior who fights off people or something like that.

Anyway, this game seems cool as hell.

Waayahhh!  Who wants some WANG??!

Hmm, I just downloaded the SoF2 demo.

I don't hear any foreign tongues.

Another thing, alot of you mentioned that SOF2 had a very detailed damage system, or something along those lines.

How is this so? I have played the ship mission and it seems pretty ordinary to me.

But they do have 2 games coming up

MoHAA Breakthrough: comes out this fall for PC, you now can use cars in multiplayer, you fight in North Africa and Italy as an Army sergant

Medal of Honor Rising Sun:comes out for PS2 this fall, you play as a Marine fighting from Pearl Harbor to the Philippeenes

But anyway MoH:Underground had cool ambient french combat in the third level and the third last level.

But my favorite was the drunken German bar fight in MoH:Fl with the ambient british in the Arnhem level.

La Poi, funny you should mention this.

So far I think I have heard about like 7 new Medal of Honor games other than Allied Assault.

This is getting bizarre.

Lets see:

Pathfinder, Spearhead, Underground, Pacific, Breakthrough, Rising Sun, Frontline, ... did I miss any??

I'm sure there are more. Don't get me wrong. I look forward to them do to the same immersive feeling from the languages I got when playing allied assault.

I remember sneaking around in the officers uniform hearing the German conversations.

But can someone clear this up for me too?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (N.o.R.S.u @ April 14 2003,15:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hmm isn't "jumalauta" same as "goddammit" (jumala=god). And I usually use "prekele" when I mean "damn" tounge.gif. Some very useful Finnish language indeed biggrin.gif.<span id='postcolor'>

About linguistics of "jumalauta": We can break that word in two: "jumala" and "auta", so literally translating "jumalauta" would mean "god help" (that's what it probably meant a long time ago). But since that sounds pretty sissy and since nobody is really calling for god to help (quite the opposite) when they say "jumalauta", I'd say it can be safely translated as "damn".

And what comes to "perkele", well, that is really just another finnish name for the devil (having no inherent meaning in it being a name), just as "fags" is an another british name for cigarettes.