Sign in to follow this  
IceFire

War games dealing in immersion and

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (drewb99 @ April 09 2003,00:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ April 09 2003,22:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Medal of Honor: Frontline for PS2.  (Dunno if it exists for PC, i doubt it)<span id='postcolor'>

That would be what Allied Assault pretty much is.<span id='postcolor'>

Not really, i've played AA on PC and the missions are a lot different, the only mission that looks like the PC one is the first one. Where you need to survive Omaha Beach...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PitViper @ April 09 2003,19:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ April 09 2003,19:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (edc @ April 10 2003,01wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In fact, the average African probably speaks 2 more languages than you do. <span id='postcolor'>

They may, but then again a billion people don't speak Swahili, do they.<span id='postcolor'>

And?

Can you speak two languages fluently?

Man, the arrogance is really showing around here today!  English may be the pre-eminent language in the world today, but the fact is that it's one of many.   Americans seem to think that it's the worlds job to speak english.  Sheesh.<span id='postcolor'>

I bet you the U.S has the largest number of languages spoken in the world simply because it has the most diverse immigrant population <!--emo&smile.gif

BTW, I thought his onomatepeia description of swahili was comical.<span id='postcolor'>

Probable, wouldn't surprise me, Antwerp also has a lot of languages but i doubt any country has as much nationalities as the US...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blaegis @ April 10 2003,16:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Oligo @ April 10 2003,15:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">By golly, laterally smoothe balls on the earth! Much weapon discharge commence the devil!<span id='postcolor'>

I.e. "Hit the deck, goddammit! Fire like hell!"  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

ok that's more understandable! biggrin.gif

I bet you the U.S has the largest number of languages spoken in the world simply because it has the most diverse immigrant population <!--emo&-------- Quote by PitViper

No, I don't want to go a little off topic in my own thread, but I hear this alot and I must say that this is NOT true.

We have a few languages. Mainly English, the native American languages, French in Louisiana due to the French colonization and that's about it other than the fact that the Mexican on the southern border who remained in Texas and Arizona when we annexed them.

All the "other" languages that immigrated here are NOT languages of the population here, they are just languages brought over.

Like in France, they have French, Alsacian, Bretan, Corsican, Bask(is that how you spell it?), and probably a few other languages that belong there that I havn't mentioned.

Arabic for example while is greatly spoken in France does NOT belong there as it was immigrated over by immigrants wanting to come to France.

I just had to mention that. The US, has those languages I mentioned, Chinese would simply Chinese brought over by someone speaking chinese wanting to become American but still speaks Chinese. That doesn't count.

Oh dear, what's happening to our great nation?

Ok anyways, to get back on topic.

The list of games posted here was very good and exactly what I was looking for.

Too bad almost none of them are first person shooters type games.    That was kindof what I was looking for.

The point of this was because it provides a sense of immersion in the first person envoronment.  

I researched Forgotten Battles, it's still a flight sim, but I might try it.

Ghost Recon, I might try it too.   But the language usage doesn't sound nearly as extensive as in Medal of Honor.

Hmm, I might try Half-Life Day of Defeat.    

But that is curious to me because it is only mutiplayer, so I wonder how it would all be implemented.

As for my comment about the African language, ...  hehe, sorry.  I guess I didn't know anything about that after all.   tounge.gif

Anyways, good ideas.

Feel free to post more if there are any.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ April 10 2003,18:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PitViper @ April 09 2003,19:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ April 09 2003,19:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (edc @ April 10 2003,01wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In fact, the average African probably speaks 2 more languages than you do. <span id='postcolor'>

They may, but then again a billion people don't speak Swahili, do they.<span id='postcolor'>

And?

Can you speak two languages fluently?

Man, the arrogance is really showing around here today!  English may be the pre-eminent language in the world today, but the fact is that it's one of many.   Americans seem to think that it's the worlds job to speak english.  Sheesh.<span id='postcolor'>

I bet you the U.S has the largest number of languages spoken in the world simply because it has the most diverse immigrant population <!--emo&smile.gif

BTW, I thought his onomatepeia description of swahili was comical.<span id='postcolor'>

Probable, wouldn't surprise me, Antwerp also has a lot of languages but i doubt any country has as much nationalities as the US...<span id='postcolor'>

Spanish is the most common foriegn language spoken in the U.S. simply because hispanics are the 2nd largest ethnic group. You can even say its a second language since so many people speak it.

Yeah it's a common foreign language in the US.

This will change and it will eventually not be so prevalent in the US.

The reason why is because right now the reason why it's so prevalent is because alot of immigrants come here who don't know english.

But in as younger generations age, their children will learn English because they will live their entire lives in the US and eventually the Spanish speakers who don't know any english will eventually get old and die out while the english youth will remain and English will continue to be our main language.

Also there are many of us who are sick of the fact that so many foreigners don't know english.

We have already enacted English only laws in several states. Hopefully all states will have english only laws one day.

Anyways, this is just me replying to RedOct. Stay on topic people.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ April 11 2003,05:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yeah it's a common foreign language in the US.

This will change and it will eventually not be so prevalent in the US.

The reason why is because right now the reason why it's so prevalent is because alot of immigrants come here who don't know english.

But in as younger generations age, their children will learn English because they will live their entire lives in the US and eventually the Spanish speakers who don't know any english will eventually get old and die out while the english youth will remain and English will continue to be our main language.

Also there are many of us who are sick of the fact that so many foreigners don't know english.  

We have already enacted English only laws in several states.  Hopefully all states will have english only laws one day.

Anyways, this is just me replying to RedOct.  Stay on  topic people.<span id='postcolor'>

Actually, statistics show that the number of Spanish speakers in your country is on the rise smile.gif. People care more about perserving their culture than you seem to think, no matter what draconian language laws are adopted. IMHO the "melting pot" approach the US has to Immigration is not a good thing, one of the reasons I like Canada better, where cultural diversity is celebrated. Except Quebec of course, who seems to have gotten their wacky "French Only" policy from you guys crazy.gifmad.gifcrazy.gif

Sorry about the offtopic, but had to say it. smile.gif

Oh man, has anyone heard the progress of the "English only" laws being passed?

Last I heard was it got passed in California and some other states.

We really need to do something about this.

If they want to preserve their cultural heritage they should stay in their home country.

Once you get American citizenship, well you are going to have to make some major personal and cultural changes.

If I were to go to Germany and become a German, I would stop speaking English, and try as best as I could to fully adopt German culture.

It's a matter of patriotism and nationalism.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ April 11 2003,06:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh man, has anyone heard the progress of the "English only" laws being passed?

Last I heard was it got passed in California and some other states.

We really need to do something about this.  

If they want to preserve their cultural heritage they should stay in their home country.  

Once you get American citizenship, well you are going to have to make some major personal and cultural changes.

If I were to go to Germany and become a German, I would stop speaking English, and try as best as I could to fully adopt German culture.

It's a matter of patriotism and nationalism.<span id='postcolor'>

I'd call it bordering on racism. My ability to speak Russian and Spanish and the right to exercise that ability whenever I want, or own a book store with a Cyrillic sign out front (yep, I've seen one in Ottawa, thought it was damn cool) does not make me any less of a Canadian citizen. Anyway....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

The Spanish language is increasingly becoming more important and more necessary in the U.S. mainly because...

In 2001, the U.S. Latino population was 29.3 million, already over 10% of the total U.S. population and still growing strong.

By 2010, the U.S. Latino population is estimated to reach 42 million, and will become the largest minority group in the U.S.

By 2040, the U.S. Latino population will be 25% of the total population in the U.S. One in every four people in the U.S. will be Latino. <span id='postcolor'>

get used to it smile.gif

By your own logic you should be studying Cherokee or some other Native American language.

Oh no. I saw those charts. I hope they are exaggerated.

I don't mind if someone "knows" other languages. That is fine and all.

But one must only "use" english in the US. Especially for anything official.

This is a very disturbing trend to me. sad.gif

There must be something we all can do to prevent this spread of spanish in the US.

Maybe with enough support we can enact more English only laws.

One for the whole nation maybe.

"By your own logic you should be studying Cherokee or some other Native American language." ---- Quote by Tovorish

I would if Native American languages actually were roots of our government and country.

Our government and country has no roots in their language and culture, only our land and territory does.

Similar in ways like the Basques in France.

Our countries origins are of English.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ April 11 2003,06:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh no.  I saw those charts.  I hope they are exaggerated.<span id='postcolor'>

Oh believe me they are accurate, I know from first hand experience biggrin.gif. I've been down south to visit family, lots of us down there, and we breed like rabbits wink.gif.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't mind if someone "knows" other languages.  That is fine and all.

But one must only "use" english in the US.  Especially for anything official.

<span id='postcolor'>

Do you not realize everyone in your country is an immigrant except for the Natives? Why don't you learn their language?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There must be something we all can do to prevent this spread of spanish in the US.  

<span id='postcolor'>

Sure there is, you can give Mexico the land you conquered from them...sheesh, you wonder why you have such a large hispanic population? biggrin.gif.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Maybe with enough support we can enact more English only laws.  

One for the whole nation maybe.<span id='postcolor'>

I know a couple of guys who'd support that

boeing46.jpg

boeing54kueuvg.jpg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This is a very disturbing trend to me.    sad.gif

<span id='postcolor'>

dingdong.jpg

"Ay, no es bueno!"

(pero de verdad si es! biggrin.gif)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ April 11 2003,06:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"By your own logic you should be studying Cherokee or some other Native American language." ---- Quote by Tovorish

I would if Native American languages actually were roots of our government and country.

Our government and country has no roots in their language and culture, only our land and territory does.

Similar in ways like the Basques in France.

Our countries origins are of English.<span id='postcolor'>

Your government yes, your country....hmmm, now who's land was that before you got there I wonder? confused.gif

Noones, it was up for grabs until the settlers got here.

Native Indians don't believe in ownership of land.

So it wasn't theirs. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ April 11 2003,07:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Noones, it was up for grabs until the settlers got here.

Native Indians don't believe in ownership of land.

So it wasn't theirs.   smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

That's an amazingly silly statement.

Social values about ownership of something has nothing to do with the reality of ownership.

European society was just more mercenary and technologically advanced, so they took what they wanted. Might does not always make right.

*hands icefire a shovel to see if he can dig himself a deeper hole*

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ April 11 2003,07:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ok, ok, i think we are strating to drift off to new topic. let's stay on topic.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes sir smile.gif

I had a customer today (whom I sold a computer to a few years back) tell me about how great BF1942 is. He seemed a little taken aback when I rolled my eyes and laughed.

So I started telling him about Flashpoint. And one of the comments I made is that while BF 1942 is great for mindless action, it's hardly what one could call immersive.

Versus Flashpoint. I told him about the After Montignac mission, and how creepy it is to try to sneak around and past the roving patrols and helicopter in order to escape the island. And also how free form the game is in how you can acheive some goals.

For me that is the ultimate factor in whether a game is replayable. Tightly scripted games, or ones with very small play areas just annoy me. I mean, look at the cillage around the bridge on Nogova. That area is bigger than most of the BF1942 maps.

Heh, yesterday I played Il-2 Forgotten Battles and I must say that the finnish voice actors are on the par in that game too. Almost all sentences are laced with swear-words and the phrases they use are straight from the authentic military jargon.

"Perkele, mulla on ryssä perässä!"

One of the things about Flashpoint that really made me go "wow" was that mission where you as the pilot bail out and get captured. The Russian voice acting in that mission was so immersive I actually thought I'd be ok If I did everything the Spetz Natz told me to the first time I played it - the way he spoke he seemed very friendly and lighthearted. Then they drive you off and shoot you! LOL I was pretty pissed at him after that.

*edit* The guards yelling and swearing when I tried to escape the second time I played it was great too smile.gif.

I hear they are making a sequel to Medal of Honor Allied assault called : Medal of Honor Underground.

It takes place before Allied assault and it revolves around the French Resistence. Hopefully it will have the same immersive atmosphere with the French and German languages both in it too.

Hey, what does that say under my name??

I never saw that before!   It doesn't look like english.   I didn't put that there!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ April 11 2003,08:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well I'll be.<span id='postcolor'>

What?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ April 11 2003,08:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif2--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ April 11 2003,08wow.gif2)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well I'll be.<span id='postcolor'>

What?<span id='postcolor'>

hmm?