Sign in to follow this  
IceFire

Less than conventional military groups

Mr.Milli, Well, I wouln't say the IRA was a bunch of amateurs.  They are well trained and professional in their training.

As for American Militias.  I am not saying that I support them, just I think they are a legitimate force(some of them).

As for legality, they ARE legal.

I don't think that just because they oppose some US policy and that they are professionally trained/armed they must be some evil redneck kooks as you said.

Are you allowed to disagree with your government policy there in England?  We are, we are also allowed to bear arms here.  

I think the honest, disciplined, professionally trained, dedicated ones here are primarily prepared for some sort of invasion or whatever.  I guess any situation, no matter how unlikely.

And just because they don't serve in the Army, US military doesn't mean that they are not soldiers.

They are trained as such, and fight for their own cause.   Sounds like a soldier to me.

Then again, there are plenty of them who are not disciplined or well trained who are just "wannabes" such as those types shown in the pictures posted above.

The IRA are not a militia. They are a terrorist organisation. They have some very well trained and intelligent people with excellent motivation. A lot like Al-quaida in fact.

As for genuine militias it just makes me laugh as long as noone gets hurt. Of course they tend to overwhelmingly be anti-government organisations. Who exactly will be invading America? Oh i forgot-the UN and the apparatus of the New World Order-yah biggrin.gif

....in fact now it seems a bit like America is run by miltia men.

sorry- anti-american afterthough there.

Hmm, you didn't make any sense there.

Also, I looked up new world order on google, and a bunch of religious sites came up.

As a point of note, how often have "Militia" helped win a war.

The American war for independance... the Vietnam war... those are just two.

Certainly it is unlikely that ANY country would be stupid enough to try an invasion of United States soil, but the Constitution does allow for such groups and in fact encourages them.

What is it that the second ammendment states? "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State , the right of 'the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Here's some simple questions:

1. What beneficial acts have these militias done in the past?

2. What would be lacking in US law enforcement if these militias didn't exist?

I'm not sure, but I beleive there have been instances where Militias have located and rescued lost children in the woods.

Also I think there have been a few instances they have helped to capture escaped criminals and fugitives on the run.

Other than stuff like that they are basically combat trained for worst case scenarios like armies of terrorists invading... etc

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 30 2003,09:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Here's some simple questions:

1. What beneficial acts have these militias done in the past?

2. What would be lacking in US law enforcement if these militias didn't exist?<span id='postcolor'>

US law enforcement is lacking,excessive force anytime except when u need it confused.gif

At best these funny groups seem like they could be a useful taskforce at other times they could be worse than a stupid mob.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have seen a report on militia troops in the US lately. Some of them oppose the government and are / were involved in terroristic acts like killing black policemen, etc.

I guess those guys are a danger for inner stabillity, buit I don´t really care. Maybe the US should clean up their backyard before they go hunting abroad. Could be good for US citizens, but who knows ?<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, we need to stop letting those people go free. confused.gif

You don't really think they're not doing anything about it, do you?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">1. What beneficial acts have these militias done in the past?<span id='postcolor'>

Search and rescue, and helping farmers keep theives off their land.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">2. What would be lacking in US law enforcement if these militias didn't exist?<span id='postcolor'>

A constitution?

Balischaow (whatever) I'm not sure you can place a judgement call on the us without actually being here, just like i cannot place a call on europe without being there. Now if your subtle remark about u.s. citizens has any bearing on this discussion, i must be completely blind, but just because the U.S. and Germany were enemies some 60 ood years ago, doesn't mean that we remain enemies. Oh, and as for the Gulf? You get watered down news reports of Americans and British military personnel screwing up all the time in Germany, or Austria, or wherever you are. This is because of 2 things-

1. Your mind already opposes this war, so therefore you see everything in the gulf in a negative light

2. The media is a damn convincing medium for a news report, and should be taken with a grain of salt (hell, over here in the states, you'd a thought we lost the war already, judjing by the overplaying of triumphant iraqis, and pictures of american pows and dead)

Sorry to rant, and please, just take it the way it is meant to be.

-Crew

EDIT

Frizbee, the other wars you missed were-

The war of 1812

Westward expansion

Mexican-American war

Spanish-American war

Civil War

WW2 (yes, the hawaiian islands had militias helping aa batteries)

And im just curious about how militias helped in Veet-Nam?

-from a toothless, slackjawed, utterly stupid, young, football -liking, muscle car driving American

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 30 2003,09:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">1. What beneficial acts have these militias done in the past?<span id='postcolor'>

You mean besides our existence as a country?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

<span id='postcolor'>

US militias are not set in place as a law-enforcement entity. You're thinking of vigilanteism, and that is against the law.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Balischaow (whatever) I'm not sure you can place a judgement call on the us without actually being here, just like i cannot place a call on europe without being there. Now if your subtle remark about u.s. citizens has any bearing on this discussion, i must be completely blind, but just because the U.S. and Germany were enemies some 60 ood years ago, doesn't mean that we remain enemies. Oh, and as for the Gulf? You get watered down news reports of Americans and British military personnel screwing up all the time in Germany, or Austria, or wherever you are. This is because of 2 things-

1. Your mind already opposes this war, so therefore you see everything in the gulf in a negative light

2. The media is a damn convincing medium for a news report, and should be taken with a grain of salt (hell, over here in the states, you'd a thought we lost the war already, judjing by the overplaying of triumphant iraqis, and pictures of american pows and dead)

Sorry to rant, and please, just take it the way it is meant to be.

<span id='postcolor'>

I guess you chose the wrong thread, didn´t you ? I have been to US several times. I have coworked with US troops of many colors. Maybe you should check what your own troops tell right now in Iraq. They are not really happy. It´s not that easy as you want it look to be. If you can´t stand facts, it´s not my problem.

Militias did have sense ages ago, but do they still make sense ? Isn´t it a bit worrying that some militias set up the current US government and international organizations as a target in their doctrines ? I mean does anybody say that there are no problems with them lately ?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (crewcutkid @ Mar. 30 2003,23:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And im just curious about how militias helped in Veet-Nam?

-from a toothless, slackjawed, utterly stupid, young, football -liking, muscle car driving American<span id='postcolor'>

In Vietnam the VietCong were technically a militia, and though just how successful their operations were could be debated, they did operate against the "enemy" in that case the United States and ANZAC forces that were stationed in Vietnam.

There were also south vietnamese people who were trained by U.S. Special Forces to take over guarding areas when the U.S. Forces were forced to move on or elsewhere. They could also be considered Militia.

Despite what these militias may have done in the past, they seem pretty redundant these days. As far as I can tell, the tradition of militias in the US was established to combat hostile forces (ie. the British) if regular forces were unable to. The main threat to the mainland US these days comes from sources that these militias don't have the capability to defend against, such as terrorists.

Maybe the image of militias in general has been tarnished by some border-line criminal/terrorist militia groups, but what sort of percentage of militia groups in the US would be considered to be dangerous extremists?

If the main concerns of militia groups include community welfare, disaster relief, and search and rescue, they seem pretty reasonable. But as soon as you have a militia group whose primary interest lies in defending America from some perceived imminent threat, then things start to get worrying. The latter seems like an outlet for people with extreme conservative views...

If these guys are anywhere near representative of their ancestors i cannot possibly imagine how they fought off the well equipped, organised and battle hardened British invaders!

Oh yes it was those dastardly frogs, come on you Yanks, be hateful towards the people who saved you from drinking endless cups of tea!

I doubt the US militia groups are anywhere near as effective as the US army, although they have ex army guys most of them won't have the experience a man or woman gets when they join the military and 'see the world'. Plus they won't have the delight of cross training with the British armed forces and learn how to run away like almost every other US armed forces section!

But of course the Americans are brilliant at sport and shooting so they usually beat us there!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Mar. 31 2003,01:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 30 2003,09:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">1. What beneficial acts have these militias done in the past?<span id='postcolor'>

You mean besides our existence as a country?.<span id='postcolor'>

Sorry. I meant in the recent past - say last 20-40 years.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

<span id='postcolor'>

US militias are not set in place as a law-enforcement entity. You're thinking of vigilanteism, and that is against the law<span id='postcolor'>

Then why the guns?