Sign in to follow this  
second_draw

Apache down - how?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Mar. 30 2003,22:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif8--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (NavyEEL @ Mar. 30 2003,22wow.gif8)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Apache had an internal failure, likely it was something to do with the hydraulic line.  the Apache was destroyed and the enemy recovered no valuable information off of it.

two things unanswered:

1.  where was his wingman when this pilot landed the helicopter?

2.  why didn't the wingman rescue the pilot and gunner after they landed their helicopter?<span id='postcolor'>

Perhaps the 'wingman' also suffered damage from ground fire and had to return to base.  If not, I dont think an Apache has room inside for two extra crew members.

Plus, if you look at the photos of where the Apache came down, it looks pretty agricultural in nature.  So a farmer story may not be too far off wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

could have hooked the two extra pilots onto the helicopter via D-rings and flown them out STABO-style... not exactly a comfortable ride, but better than being captured.

as for the farmer story... i'd give that about a 1% chance of being true. i still don't know for sure exactly what brought the helicopter down, but i'll bet money it wasn't that farmer. our Apaches have been taking much more fire than that one did, yet still have been able to make it back to base. if i can get a place to host some pictures, i'll show some of them to you guys... (anyone know of a good site?)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">could have hooked the two extra pilots onto the helicopter via D-rings and flown them out STABO-style... not exactly a comfortable ride, but better than being captured.

<span id='postcolor'>

Thats hardly standard kit on a AH-64 is it? Besides, I think I'd take my chances of capture, than hanging under a chopper with hundreds of angry Iraqis with AK's blasting away. Apart from there being no cover (It's the desert, not 'nam), it would force the helicopter to a higher altitude (So the poor bastards on the rope don't get squished), and in open, featureless terrain, that would invite disaster.

The news report I saw stated that a few minutes after the crash landing a second AH-64, and a UH-60 attempted a rescue, but were driven back by heavy small arms and anti-aircraft fire.

Also, in that photo, the left FFAR pod looks as though it was jettisoned by the pilot before the landing. (I mean, why would the Iraqi's only remove ONE pod) They only jettison weapons like that if something is really wrong, so perhaps it had something to do with why it landed?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Col. Kurtz @ Mar. 29 2003,09:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">According to the Iraqi government, the farmer shot it down with a pistol tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I heard it was a World War 1-vintage bolt-action rifle smile.gif Don't you just love the Iraqi propaganda machine? They don't even try to be realistic!

You can see the next headlines...

"Iraq destroys entire armoured column with willpower alone!"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I heard it was a World War 1-vintage bolt-action rifle Don't you just love the Iraqi propaganda machine? They don't even try to be realistic!<span id='postcolor'>

Mind you, if you took a pop at the apache with your Rifle left over from the Seige of Kut, and then the apache crashed (mechinical faliure, pilot error whatever) you'd probably claim it was all down to you....

i think it's not a M1 garand or a mauser, but a old WWI rifle of the Ottoman empire.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mr. Snrub @ Mar. 31 2003,17:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Col. Kurtz @ Mar. 29 2003,09:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">According to the Iraqi government, the farmer shot it down with a pistol  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I heard it was a World War 1-vintage bolt-action rifle  smile.gif Don't you just love the Iraqi propaganda machine? They don't even try to be realistic!

You can see the next headlines...

"Iraq destroys entire armoured column with willpower alone!"<span id='postcolor'>

Try telling that to ppl who don't happen to inhabit forums like these or have any real military knowledge. Fortunately I understand enough to go "wtf!!!" when i heard the article.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red Oct @ Mar. 31 2003,20:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i think it's not a M1 garand or a mauser, but a old WWI rifle of the Ottoman empire.<span id='postcolor'>

actually they used german rifles in those days. smile.gif

http://www16.brinkster.com/m88/turkconversion.html

http://www.turkmauser.com/turkmauser/models.htm