Sign in to follow this  
peanuckle_00

What do you think about...

Do you think there's a problem with intelligence leaks with the media in this war? My personal sentiment is that when that soldier was interviewed today he should have said, "We're building a jelly taco."

With the media? No, I think Coalition citizens and soldiers are being kept in the dark, so no enough intel coming through.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (peanuckle_00 @ Mar. 29 2003,00:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Do you think there's a problem with intelligence leaks with the media in this war?  My personal sentiment is that when that soldier was interviewed today he should have said, "We're building a jelly taco."<span id='postcolor'>

There are always problems with intelligence leaks - but the question to ask is if it's deliberate or not, and to who's benefit. It's usually hard to find out, and when the information finally surfaces it's several decades after it happend when dossiers are made available to the public. There are historians lining up right now in qeues for information like that outside various intelligence services all over the world smile.gif

i sometimes get horrified by some info that journalists put out. like how many Apaches are available for a particular division and so forth.

it is very unfortunate that some journalists cannot assess what the message they are sending contains or can be exploited.

but then again, more info means we get more clear picture of what is going on, and gov't can't spin it around.

I have a question: can't the Iraqi defense department just watch CNN and find out about American positions, troop numbers, etc? I understand they don't regularly get American programming, but Saddam easily can get satellite to give him American stations, and then get someone to translate.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USMC Sniper @ Mar. 29 2003,02:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have a question: can't the Iraqi defense department just watch CNN and find out about American positions, troop numbers, etc? I understand they don't regularly get American programming, but Saddam easily can get satellite to give him American stations, and then get someone to translate.<span id='postcolor'>

Realistically, I don't think this info would be particularly useful to saddam as I am sure he would be getting a whole lot more from his front line forces. "the coalition is advancing from kuwait and have paradropped troops from the north because the can't come from turkish ground", who would of thunk it??? wink.gif

What you guys have to understand, is that the info the media recieves has already been deemed declassified before they recieve it. A few instances on the news channels they were waiting for their reporters in the field to contact them because they weren't allowed to transmit anything because it would of given away the units position. So, its not like they are giving away major info, because their is so much classified shit that no on knows about its ridiculous (one would think anyways). So all the stuff you see on the media, is declassified by the military, thus the info isn't so secret that the Iraqi's can't find out anyways.