Sign in to follow this  
hellfish6

Ofpman1's many projects

I figured I'd start up this topic because OFPMan1 has been releasing pics of many, many aircraft lately. His newest one is now revealed at OFP.cz

Here is the AH-56 Cheyenne, the helicopter that lost to the Apache to be the US Army's new attack chopper back in the late 70s and early 80s. It was a very interesting aircraft and if I remember right, it was almost designed as a kind of helicopter dive bomber.

AH-56b.jpg

And here is the TSR-2, which I know nothing about. Looks like some kind of long-range interceptor or strike bomber.

TSR-2a1.JPG

Didn't this helicopter "lose" against the cobra?

Hummm, the tail on the AH-56 Cheyenne Looks like it was turned upside down! That looks kinda wierd! But what do I know. The TSR-2 looks really cool! Any special features for it? confused.gif

It looks turned upside down for good reason, because the real one has it turned upside down, the AH-56 Cheyenne was the winner of the US Army's Advanced Aerial Fire Support System (AAFSS) program (1964-71). The helicopter won the competition and the first prototype flew (unofficially) in September 1966. AH-56 was expected to enter service in 1968, but the program was terminated and the helicopter never advanced beyond prototype stage. The AH-1G was selected to fill the role instead as it was cheaper, smaller and less complicated, the same program later created the AH-64 i believe.

Some pictures:

ah-56a-2.jpg

cheyenne.jpg

ah56a-museam1.jpg

cheyenne_pilot.jpg

cheyenne_gunner.jpg

45.jpg

Some over 100kb:

http://www.internetage.com/cartercopters/othercraft/ah56a-lc1.jpg

http://www.9thcav.com/AH-56.jpg

Damn you eviscerator! I thought I had doubleposted but I guess you got those pictures posted before me smile.gif

Sadly the TSR-2 was cancelled because of the defence white paper of that year that aimed at replacing all manned air defence fighters with SAMs (yeah I know...CRAZY!! crazy.gif )...Hehe...luckily that never came to fruition and we have the Tornado now  biggrin.gif  (one less now thankyou Mr.Patriot! crazy.gif )

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Silent N Deadly @ Mar. 26 2003,04:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Does anyone know what effect it has with the Tail upside down? Does it effect the performance? How? It does look cool!

biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I'm not 100% sure but it looks like the tail was turned upside down so it wasnt hit by the 'pushing' rotor blades at the back, you can see them on the museum type pics i posted, but if you look at one of the pictures blackdog posted there is no rear pushing rotor and the tail is up.

I was just wondering : What's the point in making a TSR-2 for OFP? I mean it's a beautiful aircraft and all, but for a start it wasn't even produced let alone used, and its role is long range air defence...This thing would cross Everon in the blink of an eye if flying at full speed confused.gifwow.gif

oops

double posted...@Mods: how do I remove completely a post?

TSR2= Tactical Strike, Reconnisance. It was going to be just as good, if not better than the F111. A fighter/interceptor variant was never even considered. All you have to do is look at the undercarriage.

But because of cost overruns and politics it was shelved, and The RAF had to make do with Vulcans and ex-RN Buccaneers.

Whatever turns you on, OFPMan, but I'm wondring why those particular projects too.