Sign in to follow this  
Warin

The Dogs of War

One question Avon. Can´t you just copy/paste the contents from JP ? I don´t want to subscribe for every source.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Balschoiw @ April 02 2003,15:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">One question Avon. Can´t you just copy/paste the contents from JP ? I don´t want to subscribe for every source.<span id='postcolor'>

I originally was but then I thought it was a bit of an abuse on my part.

So far, from my experience at JP, I haven't received any junk mail on the junk WEB email account I used to subscribe. Of course, when you register, watch out for the check box that say something like "Yes, send me spam - I beg of you". biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blaegis @ April 02 2003,13:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ April 02 2003,12:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But what about Baghdad?<span id='postcolor'>

I guess the CENTCOM is still counting on the Iraqi resitance folding up by the time they get there. "Kick in the door and the whole house comes crumbling down" and all that... Remember how well that strategy worked out for Wehrmacht? wink.gif And in this war, just as in that one, there are politicians running interference for the military.

Edit: not CENTCOM, rather Rummy<span id='postcolor'>

Was that the Wehrmacht's strategy in Russia? For Operation Blau? I assume so, but I'm just not certain what you were reffering to there.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ April 02 2003,14:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Witnesses Say U.S. Raid Strikes Iraqi Hospital (Reuters)

Red Cross reports "dozens" of corpses after US attack in Hillah (AP) JPost subscribers only.<span id='postcolor'>

I registered for JPost, but it won't let me log in. Maybe I FUBARed my password.

Now, I wonder if hitting that hospital was a mistake, or if they believed it was being used as a Base Camp..

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PFC Mongoose @ April 02 2003,15:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I registered for JPost, but it won't let me log in.  Maybe I FUBARed my password.<span id='postcolor'>

Accepting their cookies? Otherwise you'll have to click on the forgot my password link there.

Did you get a registration verification email and reply correctly?

Anyway........................

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Now, I wonder if hitting that hospital was a mistake, or if they believed it was being used as a Base Camp..<span id='postcolor'>

Reuters:

"The missiles obliterated wings of Baghdad's trade fair building, which lies next to a government security office that was apparently missed in the bombings."

U.S. 'Destroys' Baghdad Republican Guard Division

mdf247675.jpg

A huge plume of smoke rises from the Republican Guard

palace in Baghdad following an air strike April 2, 2003. A U.S.

commander in the Gulf said U.S. troops had destroyed the

Baghdad division of the Iraqi Republican Guard near the town

of Kut, 105 miles southeast of the Iraqi capital.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Potatoman @ April 02 2003,16:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Med evac mission account<span id='postcolor'>

Thanks. Interesting account at SIMHQ. How come we don't get no stinkin' emails from the front?! mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PFC Mongoose @ April 02 2003,14:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Was that the Wehrmacht's strategy in Russia?  For Operation Blau?  I assume so, but I'm just not certain what you were reffering to there.<span id='postcolor'>

No, I was referring to Operation Barbarossa. The quote is by Hitler, circa 1941. The premise was that once the liberating German armies enter the Soviet Union, the ecstatic citizens would throw off the shackles of communism and join the third reich in their rightful place as the untermenschen ("Once you kick in the door... etc."). That did actually happen for a short time in Western Ukraina and Belarus', until sonderkommandos started rounding off people wholesale and shooting them in nearby ravines. By the time the Germans advanced further, the people were fighting for Mother Russia (NB: not the communist party). Pretty soon Wehrmacht was facing stiffening resistance from the front and hundreds of thousands (I'm not kidding) partisans in the "conquered" territories.

What does all of this have to do with Iraq?

a) The false premise that the local population will support the "liberation".

b) Interference of politicans with military planning.

Does this mean that GW2 will end up the same way as the Great Patriotic War? Not necessarily. Probably not. But I'd say the implications for Anglo-American forces are troubling.

Edit: spelling and minor details

Special Forces rescue POW while marines feint attack on city.

19 Year Old Jessica Lynch was rescued from her captors more here:

POW Rescue

biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Winters @ April 02 2003,18:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Special Forces rescue POW while marines feint attack on city.

19 Year Old Jessica Lynch was rescued from her captors more here:

POW Rescue<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, good morning. This was discussed quite a bit 11 hours ago. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Winters @ April 02 2003,18:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">LOL, well, i am in New York City avon   tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Been there, done that. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Winters @ April 02 2003,18:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Special Forces rescue POW while marines feint attack on city.

19 Year Old Jessica Lynch was rescued from her captors<span id='postcolor'>

Released pic of her on a stretcher sometime during evac.

mdf247835.jpg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ April 02 2003,01:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I guess that answeres the question if the Iraqi will treat POWs properly.<span id='postcolor'>

She had both her legs and her arm broken. We haven't even heard her accounts on whether she was tortured or not.

Funny how you are so quick to absolve the Iraqis.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ April 02 2003,17:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Are these the same CBU bombs that Hudson's F18 Hornet addon is armed with?<span id='postcolor'>

It should be noted that cluster bombs are banned by international law (1977 Geneva Protocol) since they are considered 'indiscriminate weapons' that pose as much risk to the civilians as they do to the military. A landscape polluted by bomblets is worse then a mine field, due to the small size of the individual bomblets. It takes years to clean it up.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ April 02 2003,18:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ April 02 2003,17:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Are these the same CBU bombs that Hudson's F18 Hornet addon is armed with?<span id='postcolor'>

It should be noted that cluster bombs are banned by international law (1977 Geneva Protocol) since they are considered 'indiscriminate weapons' that pose as much risk to the civilians as they do to the military. A landscape polluted by bomblets is worse then a mine field, due to the small size of the individual bomblets. It takes years to clean it up.<span id='postcolor'>

But, according to the Reuters article, these are kinder, gentler cluster bombs.

j/k biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blaegis @ April 02 2003,16:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No, I was referring to Operation Barbarossa. The quote is by Hitler, circa 1941. The premise was that once the liberating German armies enter the Soviet Union, the ecstatic citizens would throw off the shackles of communism and join the third reich in their rightful place as the untermenschen<span id='postcolor'>

Ah, okay, Barbarossa, not Blau. Been a while since I studied WW2, and the focus on the Eastern Front was on Blau (then the counter-offensive).

Thanks for clearing that up.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PitViper @ April 02 2003,17:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ April 02 2003,01:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I guess that answeres the question if the Iraqi will treat POWs properly.<span id='postcolor'>

She had both her legs and her arm broken.  We haven't even heard her accounts on whether she was tortured or not.

Funny how you are so quick to absolve the Iraqis.<span id='postcolor'>

She was being treated in a hospital. Pentagon had hinted that they thought that they would be executed. Their story and the reality did obviously not match.

Btw, on this rescue: I'm not hearing anything on the two POWs that were killed in the rescue mission. Anybody have anything more on that?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ April 02 2003,18:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Btw, on this rescue: I'm not hearing anything on the two POWs that were killed in the rescue mission. Anybody have anything more on that?<span id='postcolor'>

I didn't here that anyone was killed during the rescue. They found two coalition troop bodies and several Iraqi dead in the hospital. That's all the I heard.

Some news agency named DPI (?) says that the coalition bombed an armor laden train in Al Hilah, 100km south of Bangdead - er - Baghdad.