Sign in to follow this  
peanuckle_00

Metal gear solid addons

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (peanuckle_00 @ Mar. 24 2003,17:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What bettter character to play with in the ofp engine?<span id='postcolor'>

The OFP engine would NEVER be suitable for this kind of mod. The engine's AI and coding is very complex, that's why the "total-conversions" are just packs of addons, not a completely new game based off of OFP. Stealth isn't great in OFP, and I don't see much point in making a MGS2 mod for OFP, since other engines would probably be more suitable for it (Raven Shield, Half-Life, etc, are all MUCH better for modding).

Well i dont feel the need for a stealth "mod" if i wanna play MGS2 i play MGS2, but it would however be fun to have covert ops like in the Black-op missions were you "cant" be detected. Of course you can be detected but then you will have to rely heavily on fighting skills. I missed these kind of missions in the Resistance campaign, imagine skulking after a group of enemies on Nogova and tracking them to their encampment. All i would like is the C.I.A assasin kind of things. Not a Snake mod or anything. Also the Ghost-recon and Raven-shield "mods" are also just a bunch of new weapons new player models etc. The only true mods we see are for Half-life UTK03 and other FPS games.

Like Peanuckle said, this would probably be an addon pack, nod a mod.

Half-Life may be more mod-friendly, but IMO, doesn't translate as well to covert-ops.

Though, one thing for certain, the Ghost suit Snake and Raiden wear would have to have some kind of damage-reducing script...

We'd need those weapons listed, and we'd need urban and large-indoor environments.

And no, this won't be a substitute for MGS2, but almost a different take on it. As I've said, I almost think the OFP engine would be a better vehicle for this kind of game; done properly, anyway, than even the MGS2 engine was.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PFC Mongoose @ Mar. 26 2003,21:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Half-Life may be more mod-friendly, but IMO, doesn't translate as well to covert-ops.<span id='postcolor'>

Considering that HL uses C++ for the coding, and people have made racing mods, and combat sim mods, I don't see anything that won't make it translate well into covert ops.

Allright. I stand corrected.

I guess what I meant was more the fact I haven't seen any Covert-Ops Half-Life mods.

If you wanted to make one, you'd have to code it up.

Whereas OpFlash already has a decent AI and detection model (witnessed by the unending horde of Covert-Ops missions that drive me endlessly insane. smile.gif ) and thus it would more likely be just a matter of packing in addons, some scripts, and careful mission editing.

I don't have any scripting knowledge, so I don't know how difficult and/or time consuming coding in C++ is, but I assume it would likely be easier to addon to OpFlash than to modify Half-Life.

Though, I do, in principle, agree with you on Raven Shield. However, I've never played it, and don't own it, so a Raven Shield MGS mod wouldn't be much use to me. smile.gif

HA! A MGS add-on, that would be something! tounge.gif

I like the game MGS1/2 but MGS and OFP just dont go together..

I just cant picture a crazy anti-mech renegade working with a mentally disturbed nerd to bring down a super mech of the 21st century on an oil tanker being hi-jacked by a bunch of crazy orange Spetz Naz freaks lead by a crazy Texan and a freak clone guy in a big metalic octopus suit that breathes fire and shoots lasers in Operation Flashpoint.   crazy.gif

The only thing you could make for OFP that is like MGS is maybe the weapons and the Spetz Naz, but definatley not the bosses and the Foxhound members.  Oh God!  crazy.gif I can't imagine a crazy Native-Indian with a freakin' giant pop can on his back and a Kurdish Sniper woman and a crazy suicidal clone that can survive a helicopter crash in a Hind, get shot at so much I lost count, get blown up in a giant mech, then fight in hand-to-hand comat on the mech and get his ass kicked, then fall off that 80ft mech, then go through a horrible high speed crash, then after all that, die of a simulated heart attack.  crazy.gif   wow.gif

Trust me you don't want that crap in OFP.  biggrin.gif The words Operation Flashpoint would lose all meaning!

-iCe-

Well, if it were up to me, I would make an original campaign, using the weapons, and the Spetz Natz. It might have a new cast of Foxhound agents (I don't even think the hero would have to be Snake or Raiden; it could be a new chacater, or even a small team. There would be new 'bosses', but they wouldn't neccessarily have to be something out of the X-Files.

You could have a Vulcan Raven-type, who;s just a slightly larger model with a minigun; you could have a 'tank' boss that you have to kill with Grenades, like in the original, and possibly a Hind you have to shoot down with an RPG

IMO, if you used your imagination, and brought MGS to OpFlash's level, instead of the other way around, I think it could work well.

I even think you could do a Metal Gear. A mobile nuclear weapons platform, firing Nuclear shells from a railgun... I always thought that was @#$%ing GENIUS!!!

biggrin.gif

That's exactly where I'm at Mongoose. Not the entire storyline (damn that would be so uncreative) just the characters, weapons, and the gears. Give me a solid snake character, throw in a revolver ocelot character and a gear and take a map like mogadishu or something and i can pretty much make up my own story. I think the coolest part would be the idea that with ofp you can have team members so we could explore the idea of an actual FOXHOUND team rather than just one guy. I'd like to experience that. That way you could have the basic FOXHOUND outfit template for your skin. For Snake, Raiden and Meryl they'd need their own body entirely. I think it'd be nice and different. I was playing on the Mogadishu map the other day and thought about the Zanzibar incident that Solid Snake took part in during Metal Gear 1, 2, one of them, when he had to infiltrate an entire city of terrorists and kill Big Boss and the Metal Gear. I looked at Mogadishu and remembered that Zanzibar was in Africa too and thought what a good idea that would be to actually play as Solid Snake. Snake could have a helicopter insertion, the whole nine. From watching tv I learned that when being creative you don't just think between the lines. If you guys make the characters and the gear I could come up with a whole host of scenarios and cool things to do. It wouldn't bother me that Snake can't do martial arts in this game becuase I don't "love" Metal Gear Solid. The idea that we'd be "disrespecting" the game is just idiotic because its just an idiotic idea. You don't need martial arts to have fun. I think that the idea of same storyline new engine is the wrong way to go about it entirely. I mean that would be all skill and no creativity which I see alot of in this community. People keep making guns that have been made, redoing other peoples work but splitting hairs adding a new muzzle flash. This is a point within a point here but listen, people are just relying on skill nowadays and aren't being creative. How? Like this: "I bet they think I can't make a jeep. I can make a jeep. See, there's a jeep." Then you come out with an inaccurate technical made of crappy colors that nobody wants but hey, you made a technical. That's creating but not creative. It takes creators to be creative I know but that kid who made the technical isn't going to make my Solid Snake. No way. Anyways back to this whole MGS addons thing the idea is to bring back the good memories of Metal Gear Universe by giving Snake a little cameo in ofp. Don't miss the points here. Skill is nothing without creativity which I'm sure you'll bust your evil plotting minds to have your dads teach me later but more importantly Metal Gear solid addons in my opinion is a good idea. Oh and people put your heart into what you do. If your heart isn't in it and you may end up looking like a fool but you still gotta eat, don't compromise your wisdom because in the end it just might help you maintain self respect. It's like at work my boss says he'd like to see me talking more with the customers. Yeah sure boss, and get fired. I know how people can be. The minute you open up and get them relaxed they think you're family and will cuss you out. Then you get fired. See, when your boss asks you to make compromises like that its when you gotta put your foot down and say "No." That would be compromising good wisdom and wisdom is so hard to come by. It's a fight just to get some.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PFC Mongoose @ Mar. 26 2003,21:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Like Peanuckle said, this would probably be an addon pack, nod a mod.

Half-Life may be more mod-friendly, but IMO, doesn't translate as well to covert-ops.

Though, one thing for certain, the Ghost suit Snake and Raiden wear would have to have some kind of damage-reducing script...

We'd need those weapons listed, and we'd need urban and large-indoor environments.

And no, this won't be a substitute for MGS2, but almost a different take on it.  As I've said, I almost think the OFP engine would be a better vehicle for this kind of game; done properly, anyway, than even the MGS2 engine was.<span id='postcolor'>

I think that the damage reduction could be built into the model. Maybe a reduction in hit points. Im not a MGS player and im not really sure what the ghost suit is.....

wow.gif3--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (19kilo2/10Cav @ April 11 2003,14wow.gif3)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Im not a MGS player and im not really sure what the ghost suit is.....<span id='postcolor'>

I think they are referring to the stealth suit that makes the person wearing it invisible.

I posted a similar idea quite a while ago and I would still like to see some MGS add-ons made.

Imagine sneaking into a base, taking out some Russian mercenries before blowing up a static Metal Gear then you get picked up by Otacon in a Kasatka.

The only difficulty I see is with the weapons. How for example would you model a Nikita? The Nikita is a really slow moving (it travels at the speed of lets say someone jogging slowly) and has a camera in the nose. The user can make the missile turn left and right and control it with a high degree of accuracy. Very good for indoors fighting, but could the OFP engine handle it?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (GoOB @ Mar. 26 2003,13:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well i dont feel the need for a stealth "mod" if i wanna play MGS2 i play MGS2, but it would however be fun to have covert ops like in the Black-op missions were you "cant" be detected. Of course you can be detected but then you will have to rely heavily on fighting skills. I missed these kind of missions in the Resistance campaign, imagine skulking after a group of enemies on Nogova and tracking them to their encampment. All i would like is the C.I.A assasin kind of things. Not a Snake mod or anything. Also the Ghost-recon and Raven-shield "mods" are also just a bunch of new weapons new player models etc. The only true mods we see are for Half-life UTK03 and other FPS games.<span id='postcolor'>

thats wat i was hoping for

some addons like cia blackops since he bis ones dont look that cool

too bad i dont know anything about making addons

and ppl should be making civllian dressed west units with bas m4s and handguns with jeans and black jacket

i now someone is willing to make one since they released mib units

Okay ruff. You want that, start another thread. I'd be glad to post about some CIA units there.