Sign in to follow this  
KingBeast

Mystery illness

I live in calgary I feel super safe lol, suks to live in Toronto though I here businesses are loosing billions of dollars, and people are using prejudice against asian ppl for fear.

Well im getting on my flight to the US on Friday, so im a little bit worried. The fact that I have Asthma and have suffered some bad attacks before doesnt really help my state of mind either wow.gif

One thing I am curious about: What kind of cleaning goes on in the planes now? Is there any kind of wipe down,, or do they just pick the litter up and wait for the next load of passengers?

Kind of worrying that all sorts of nasty bugs could be lurking in the air con in an airplane...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As you may know the World Health Organisation has added Toronto to a list of cities to avoid .<span id='postcolor'>

That was a dumb thing to do. I just watched the mayor of Toronto (Mel Lastman) on T.V., and he was pissed off for a good reason. Just the day before the CDC said Toronto was doing a good job of keeping SARS contained, then the W.H.O. came after and said 'avoid Toronto' without even sending medical teams or officials to the city to asses the situation. Seems pretty stupid of the W.H.O to do that.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Do you live in or near the Toronto area? Do you feel safe?<span id='postcolor'>

Yes and yes. People here are going on with their normal everyday lives and there is no big panic. Alot of Asian owned businesses are still shut down or are experiencing slow business, but that's about it. Yeah, and the hospitals are sealed up in an attempt to contain the virus but the schools that were shut down are open again. No big deal.

Tyler

OK ,thanks smile.gif . Maybe im just wanting to be lulled into a false sense of security but thats made me feel a little more optimistic. I guess we'll see how things pan out over the next few months...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Longinius @ Mar. 18 2003,00:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Besides, it isnt really that dangerous. Its highly contagious, it cant be treated, but the mortality rate is quite low. However, I wouldnt want to catch it though :/<span id='postcolor'>

actually its not as contagius as the common cold.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MLF @ April 24 2003,03:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif9--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Longinius @ Mar. 18 2003,00wow.gif9)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Besides, it isnt really that dangerous. Its highly contagious, it cant be treated, but the mortality rate is quite low. However, I wouldnt want to catch it though :/<span id='postcolor'>

actually its not as contagius as the common cold.<span id='postcolor'>

Perhaps. But it as contagious as influenza. And the common cold has a nearly zero fatality rate.

Well, I'm not panicking - nor am I scared - but I have to say I'm a bit worried. You can't fight the virus itself, only the symptoms. Considering my daily use of cortizons and other astmah-medicines I'm not overly optimistic about catching the bugger. One can of course increase the dose of cortizons and use oxygen for a short period, but if you really do become sick there is certainly a need to start believe in God.

There are no known cases SARS infected people in Norway, but unfortunately I work part time at a hotel with the usual asian ship crews in transfer staying over for a night or two. Lucky me!

By the way - there are more bad news to consider because the virus has shown an ability to mutate lately.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Oligo @ April 14 2003,12:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The influenza pandemic of 1918 killed 20 million people, although the virus that caused it killed only 2% of those it infected. SARS, however, kills 5% of those it infects, being equally easy-spreading as influenza (it is thought that a single canadian woman with SARS managed to infect up to 500 people). Thus, in a case of a pandemic of SARS, we're probably facing more fatalities than with the epidemic of 1918.

Yeah, let's panic.

confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

doubt it on the 500 ppl, although comparing against the 1918 outbreak is good because then we did not even have Air Travel but we did not have the medical research capabilaties, a cure will probally be found but in what time and at what cost, tbh i found that China's self pride may have put the world at risk, god damn f'kin twats (pardon me but it just makes me feel distgusted that we might be well on a way to a cure for it, if from what estimates are right novembr last year it started are correct)

We had two people from my company (my supervisor and a co-worker) sent to Hong Kong a few eeks back, right at the height of the SARS scare.

The company nurse recommended against it, asking that the trip (for training purposes) be postponed until the epidemic was under control. The two employees decided to go anyway, knowing the risk.

When they came back, they were not quarantined, and turned up to work only 1.5 days after stepping off the plane. People were so concerned that the union got involved and demanded they have to get a bill of all clear from a doctor before returning. They went to the "company doctor", who barely even examined them and said "yeah, whatever, theyre clear". They were back 2 days later. (For a total of 4 days after getting off the plane - despite all indications being that the disease has a 10 day incubation period).

Well, almost a month down the track and none of us look like we have contrcted it, but the half-assed way my company handled it (a huge international company) really pissed me off and left me with no confidence in the way our hierachy handles potentially dangerous situations. mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MLF @ April 24 2003,03:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">doubt it on the 500 ppl, although comparing against the 1918 outbreak is good because then we did not even have Air Travel but we did not have the medical research capabilaties, a cure will probally be found but in what time and at what cost<span id='postcolor'>

The major problem at hand is that SARS is a virus. It's extremely hard and difficult to find vaccine against viruses, like AIDS for example.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (brgnorway @ April 24 2003,04:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The major problem at hand is that SARS is a virus. It's extremely hard and difficult to find vaccine against viruses, like AIDS for example.<span id='postcolor'>

You are absolutely correct. The average time for a vaccine development is ten (10) years at the moment. Also, being a virus, there are no drugs available to treat people. All antiviral drugs we have are highly specific for their target viruses and development of antiviral drugs takes even longer than vaccine development.

I have now researched the use of bacterial viruses in biotechnology (bacteriophages, viruses that infect bacteria) for five years and I can say that those little buggers never cease to amaze me. Some viruses can survive wiping with 96% ethanol, etc.

Since there hasn't been any other outbreak of this scale during modern times, it remains to be seen whether the few weapons we have are efficient in fighting off SARS.

And a major problem between this virus and a vaccine is the mutation process that will prevent any real solution.

Even if a vaccine is found, it will be only a temporary solution , as the mutation of the virus will render the vaccine out-dated and so useless afetr a certain period of time

That was the real fear of the scientist actually working on the SARS

So until now, the best way to fight it is to not propagate it , that means real intention from world governments to quarantine people affected or people to be able to develop the disease from their behaviour and encounters.

But from what you have heard and see, that is not the case, a real quarantine politic is not on the agenda of the word governments currently.

Some people have been put on quarantine in some country, but no research have been made on who they have seen , who cross their paths etc.......

If SARS spreads as easily or easier than influenza, and has a 5% mortality rate. Compare that with the number of people who contract influenza annually and multiple that by .05 . It seems pretty friggin scary to me. Plus, the numbers and the bad news seem to be increasing. I wonder what we aren't being told about this?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sanctuary @ April 24 2003,08:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And a major problem between this virus and a vaccine is the mutation process that will prevent any real solution.

Even if a vaccine is found, it will be only a temporary solution , as the mutation of the virus will render the vaccine out-dated and so useless afetr a certain period of time.

That was the real fear of the scientist actually working on the SARS.<span id='postcolor'>

The average mutation rate of SARS is not known yet. If it is as high as that of HIV, there will be no vaccine. If it is as low as that of smallpox, vaccine will be easy (read ten years).

Yesterday's statistics in WHO page:

4288 total cases, 2032 recovered, 251 fatalities.

Counting from those, I get a 11% fatality rate.  sad.gif And it is not linked to quality of medicare either, since in Canada (140 cases) the mortality rate has so far been 17%. crazy.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Oligo @ April 24 2003,08:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sanctuary @ April 24 2003,08:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And a major problem between this virus and a vaccine is the mutation process that will prevent any real solution.

Even if a vaccine is found, it will be only a temporary solution , as the mutation of the virus will render the vaccine out-dated and so useless afetr a certain period of time.

That was the real fear of the scientist actually working on the SARS.<span id='postcolor'>

The average mutation rate of SARS is not known yet. If it is as high as that of HIV, there will be no vaccine. If it is as low as that of smallpox, vaccine will be easy (read ten years).<span id='postcolor'>

About the "not know yet" mutation factor of he SARS there is a bi problem about what you can read from scientific people in newspaper

-Go back lots of years earlier, when they talked to the public about the HIV , they were not very afraid of mutation , and this confidence last for some years.

-Now , look at the scientific community , they just have discovered the SARS and are already very afraid of the mutation factor, because they fear they have recently discovered a mutated variant of it : the chicken influenza case in Netherlands that made a veterinarian died after a respiratory distress syndrome on 17 April

That sounds very serious for me , enough for governements to take real quarantine measures .

Well there you all go again rupturing my thin veneer of confidence confused.gif

Cant a guy live in ignorant bliss aroud here? smile.gif

oh well.Time will tell. (maybe i should start stocking up on masks and surgical gloves wow.giftounge.gif )

And water, and food, and firearms . . . . .

If this S.O.B. can mutate, and becomes more transmittable/lethal. The world is going to turn to shit in a hurry. Imagine a modern day Black Plague. This is really starting to scare the living hell out of me. I wish the friggin Chinese would just quarrantine everyone they suspect of having this shit.

whast with ppl thining its highly contagous, it aint it just in some cases can be fatal, if 1 person has SARS and one person has the flu in a room of say 100 ppl, the person with flu will infect more ppl than SARS.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MLF @ April 24 2003,21:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">whast with ppl thining its highly contagous, it aint it just in some cases can be fatal, if 1 person has SARS and one person has the flu in a room of say 100 ppl, the person with flu will infect more ppl than SARS.<span id='postcolor'>

I read articles saying if you get on a plane with someone with SARS, you have a high likelihood of contracting it. CDC was saying that if one person with SARS gets on a crowded elevator, he will likely infect 80% of the other occupants. I heard that on PBS news over the radio on the way to work the other day.

That seems a little too contagious for my comfort.

"crowded" "likely" thers every chance that you wont catch it, they have to actually cough on you.

I guess only time will tell whether shit will hit the fan or not, this being the first pandemic of modern times.

And there was me hoping that SARS might act as a cause of positive reform in the way the Chinese government conducts itself.

Now theyre threatening to kill people over it....

Then again its easy to criticise such a measure when SARS is a distant threat (still its very harsh).

It could just as easily halppen in t he US though u wouldn`t get excuted but i`d imagine u`d get shot on site.

Whats the definition of marshall law again,not necessarily related to the above ?