Sign in to follow this  
KingBeast

Mystery illness

Well as if there wasnt enough to worry about what with GW2 and such, but now theres a possibility of catching some kind of super pneaumonia!

What do you think, something to worry about or just another useless warning?

"Health authorities around the world are struggling to contain a lethal form of pneumonia as air travellers spread it across three continents.

A British man returning from Hong Kong has been admitted to hospital with a suspected case - the UK's first.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) issued a rare emergency warning over the weekend, declaring the sickness "a worldwide health threat", and saying that cases had been reported on three continents. "

It has me worried, but thats because ill be flying to America at the end of April. At least I can try to keep an eye out for those darned terrorist fellers, but I wont be able to see this threat.

BBC News

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">KingBeast

beastbans.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

The moderators have gone bananas! crazy.gif

spamming avon?

spam formula:

(# of spammer's post)-(# of spammer's post)*(#of spams in the thread)/(#of posts in that thread until that point)

you do the math.

i'll be out of office for 4 days. don't bother PM-ing me about this.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Mar. 17 2003,21:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">spamming avon?

spam formula:

(# of spammer's post)-(# of spammer's post)*(#of spams in the thread)/(#of posts in that thread until that point)

you do the math.<span id='postcolor'>

Who gives a .............................

HEY! My post count! crazy.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gif

We have such a case in Frankfurt, too. This guy arrived at the airport just 15km from my hometown. I saw these news while on German Red Cross duty on saturday with my doctor aside me. Was kinda spooky sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FallenPaladin @ Mar. 17 2003,23:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">We have such a case in Frankfurt, too. This guy arrived at the airport just 15km from my hometown. I saw these news while on German Red Cross duty on saturday with my doctor aside me. Was kinda spooky   sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

If you don't leave your house and don't have visitors, then you should be fine smile.gif

I am planning to do the same if it gets worse in England smile.gif

I love the wonders of online food ordering biggrin.gif

Maybe the end of the world wont come about from crzy politicians with bombs, but with something like this...

I am surprised we havent seen something similar to the influenza pandemic of 1918.  I mean, we have a lot of antibiotics and drugs... but none if it is good for a virus.  And eventually there might be a virus that kills faster than researchers can work.

Scary stuff sad.gif

"I wonder if Al Qaeda was behind this."

Yes, they invented the medicine resistant flue virus, mutated it, released it in China, studied the first epidimic, waited a while and then released it again at their prime target: Asia.

They didnt release it at airports like Heathrow, Copenhagen, Charles de Gaulle or JFK, but in the farmlands of China.

Uhm, I doubt it.

Besides, it isnt really that dangerous. Its highly contagious, it cant be treated, but the mortality rate is quite low. However, I wouldnt want to catch it though :/

Time to watch the film "Twelve Monkeys" smile.gif

Scientists have been warning us for a while on our overuse of antibiotics and the possibility of the antibiotic-immune strain of a some supervirus which could reek havoc on man...

I was predicting this!

2 weeks before 11/9 i predicted a large terror attack (everyone thought i was a jynx sad.gif )

In the Mid east thread or something i said that we don't have to worry about all these radicals cause they operate on a small scale compared to 'big mama nature'.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PitViper @ Mar. 18 2003,00:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Time to watch the film "Twelve Monkeys" smile.gif

Scientists have been warning us for a while on our overuse of antibiotics and the possibility of the antibiotic-immune strain of a some supervirus which could reek havoc on man...<span id='postcolor'>

what about the use of antibiotics on animals, its like if a scrtaches its arse on someting the vets always whip out a needle and give it a jab of antibiotics and dont they use it a lot in agriculture?.

Two people died in Toronto and a few more are sick, both had just returned from Asia. I was reading that the type of pneumonia (atypical) is entriely curable. You just need to get it treated in time.

Alot of diseises (sp?) come out of Asia, due to the fact that there are so many people in close proximity and so many of the people there live in substandard conditions in even closer proximity to farm animals.

Tyler

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">what about the use of antibiotics on animals, its like if a scrtaches its arse on someting the vets always whip out a needle and give it a jab of antibiotics and dont they use it a lot in agriculture?.<span id='postcolor'>

Thats why we don't eat US beef in Europe. They get so many antibiotic/hormone injections, its not considered safe.

So US beef gives you tits, and ours make you go Maaaad!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Thats why we don't eat US beef in Europe. They get so many antibiotic/hormone injections, its not considered safe.

So US beef gives you tits, and ours make you go Maaaad!

<span id='postcolor'>

They are injected while young and killed when they are adults. By then, the growth hormones have exited the system. No need to worry, we aren't all 10 feet tall yet. tounge.gif

Tyler

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">2 weeks before 11/9 i predicted a large terror attack (everyone thought i was a jynx sad.gif )

In the Mid east thread or something i said that we don't have to worry about all these radicals cause they operate on a small scale compared to 'big mama nature'.<span id='postcolor'>

You wanna let us know next time you predict a large terror attack? crazy.gif

I'd say the same to any psychic who said they predicted sept. 11th. As well as "was sept. 10th national "pshychic's day off" day or something?

This is weird.

Cause, I am coming down with the FLU today.

I wouldn't worry about it. You'd be surprised how many diseases have "flu like symptoms".

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Fox News

Symptoms may include coughing, high fever and shortness of breath, with headache, muscular stiffness, loss of appetite, confusion, rash and diarrhea also possible.<span id='postcolor'>

Some points:

1. There are many antiviral drugs available nowadays. However, each drug affects only a certain type of virus, unlike antibiotics which have a capacity to slay a wide variety of bacteria. Also, antiviral drugs cost like hell (20000 euros for a years supply of new HIV antivirals). There is no way we could treat poor people.

2. According to Wegener et. al. (2001) n U.S. alone, 11 million kilos of antibiotics were fed to livestock in year 2000 for growth promotion only (for some reason animals grow faster when you stuff them full of antibiotics). Antibiotics used to treat diseases are not included in this figure.

3. Genetically modified foods have not been shown to posses ANY health risks in ANY credible study.

4. Giving hormones to livestock should have no harmful effects, except that environment is contaminated by the hormones that the animals piss out of their bodies. Did you know that lowering male sperm counts might be partly due to females on contraceptive pills pissing the modified female hormones in the pills to the environment?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Longinius @ Mar. 18 2003,00:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"I wonder if Al Qaeda was behind this."

Yes, they invented the medicine resistant flue virus, mutated it, released it in China, studied the first epidimic, waited a while and then released it again at their prime target: Asia.

They didnt release it at airports like Heathrow, Copenhagen, Charles de Gaulle or JFK, but in the farmlands of China.

Uhm, I doubt it.

Besides, it isnt really that dangerous. Its highly contagious, it cant be treated, but the mortality rate is quite low. However, I wouldnt want to catch it though :/<span id='postcolor'>

Actually it is easier to build a lab in China than in any other Western country.

IF Al Qaeda was behind this, then this would be a test.

<span id='ME'><center>Necromancer- sneezes</center></span>

Sorry... Hay fever. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Oligo @ Mar. 18 2003,08:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Some points:

4. Giving hormones to livestock should have no harmful effects, except that environment is contaminated by the hormones that the animals piss out of their bodies. Did you know that lowering male sperm counts might be partly due to females on contraceptive pills pissing the modified female hormones in the pills to the environment?<span id='postcolor'>

Except that humans eating this manipulated food become immune against treatment with this antibiotics, thus limiting options of medicamentation when they really become sick...

btw: Funny that you say on one side that it should have no effect, but then you say men might be affected by hormones in female pee???

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Oligo @ Mar. 18 2003,08:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Some points:

1. There are many antiviral drugs available nowadays. However, each drug affects only a certain type of virus, unlike antibiotics which have a capacity to slay a wide variety of bacteria. Also, antiviral drugs cost like hell (20000 euros for a years supply of new HIV antivirals). There is no way we could treat poor people.

2. According to Wegener et. al. (2001) n U.S. alone, 11 million kilos of antibiotics were fed to livestock in year 2000 for growth promotion only (for some reason animals grow faster when you stuff them full of antibiotics). Antibiotics used to treat diseases are not included in this figure.

3. Genetically modified foods have not been shown to posses ANY health risks in ANY credible study.

4. Giving hormones to livestock should have no harmful effects, except that environment is contaminated by the hormones that the animals piss out of their bodies. Did you know that lowering male sperm counts might be partly due to females on contraceptive pills pissing the modified female hormones in the pills to the environment?<span id='postcolor'>

Do the anitviral drugs cost so much because of complex processes to make them or is that just the drugsg companies wanting so much?

Also what about animals being fed crap which includes ground up bits of other animals that weren`t made into food or other things like glue for our consumption?

Please keep in mind that this thread was for the discussion of this new apparently dangerous pneumonia. By all means, it would be interesting to see a thread devoted to the effects of women peeing out hormones and animals eating eachother but lets keep it out of this thread, mmkay? smile.gif

well techniquely it could go under the causes of the new mystery illness confused.gif oh well maybe some will start a new thread on it.