Sign in to follow this  
icemaniac_02

Army.....or.....navy.....

hey all, i am tryin gto figure out if i want to Join the navy or the army. i want to fly an F-18, F-16 or a F-15, but i also want to fly an Apache or a Comanche Chopper. i can go in for 2 years but i would like to decide before then. Which one should i choose?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (icemaniac_02 @ Mar. 14 2003,18:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hey all, i am tryin gto figure out if i want to Join the navy or the army. i want to fly an F-18, F-16 or a F-15, but i also want to fly an Apache or a Comanche Chopper. i can go in for 2 years but i would like to decide before then. Which one should i choose?<span id='postcolor'>

You won't be able to fly if you join the Army, but with the Navy you probably would be able to fly some types of planes and helicopters off of aircraft carriers. To fly things, naturally you would want to join the Air Force. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (icemaniac_02 @ Mar. 14 2003,18:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hey all, i am tryin gto figure out if i want to Join the navy or the army. i want to fly an F-18, F-16 or a F-15, but i also want to fly an Apache or a Comanche Chopper. i can go in for 2 years but i would like to decide before then. Which one should i choose?<span id='postcolor'>

Firstly, you need to prepare yourself. Train very hard to pass the medical examination. Secondly, you better shape up at school if you already haven't. Thirdly - go for it - but don't feel let down if you can't accomplish your dream about being a fighter pilot.

The military also has many different career options - and some are also very exciting for those that fit in!

Just go for it - but don't be disappointed if you are not comfortable with being in the military. I was very unhappy about my stay on officers school and chose to bail out after a while. The bonus of me bailing out was a nice stay in the most northern and cold military fort in the north , hehe mad.gif .

Seriously, for the most - I had a good time even though the administrative position I had meant no leasure time at all.

Hard work in the evening, sometimes all night and almost every weekend. Don't let me scare you from it though - good luck!

You should join the Swiss Navy smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USMC Sniper @ Mar. 14 2003,18:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (icemaniac_02 @ Mar. 14 2003,18wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hey all, i am tryin gto figure out if i want to Join the navy or the army. i want to fly an F-18, F-16 or a F-15, but i also want to fly an Apache or a Comanche Chopper. i can go in for 2 years but i would like to decide before then. Which one should i choose?<span id='postcolor'>

You won't be able to fly if you join the Army, but with the Navy you probably would be able to fly some types of planes and helicopters off of aircraft carriers. To fly things, naturally you would want to join the Air Force. <!--emo&smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

sure you can. army uses apache's, chinooks, i think pave-low's, and eventually the comanche. my best friend is in the U.S. army and going for pilot training. but if i were you icemaniac, i'd go w/ the navy. you would probaly enjoy a career in the navy more than you would in the army.

whats w/ all the love of the swiss navy placebo?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red Oct @ Mar. 14 2003,19:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">whats w/ all the love of the swiss navy placebo?<span id='postcolor'>

Pick up a map and find Switzerland..

Do you see anything strange about having a navy in switzerland?

Well, first of all, do you have a degree? Unless you already have obtained your college degree you're going to have to either join some sort of ROTC program, join as an enlisted and apply for an officer package after a few years served, or pay for college on your own, and join afterwards.

If flying really is your dream job, then I would say go for Navy or Air Force. I've served with a squadron for the last two years and I can say with confidence that every single one of those guys loved their job. There are definately dues to pay when you're an Ensign and LTJG.

As far as decided which branch, that is going to depend alot on what sort of family life you want to have, and which platform you would like to fly.

I'm in the Navy myself, so I really can't offer you an unbiased opinion but if you're young and single the Navy is the way to go. Officers have a really good quality of life, and you'll get to see the world rather then sit at one base for the majority of your career. The downside to that is that you'll be out to sea for long periods of time.

Just a few thoughts...

Interesting fact about Army aviation. The warrant officers that fly the helos are mostly made up of former Navy enlisted 2nd classes. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red Oct @ Mar. 14 2003,18:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">whats w/ all the love of the swiss navy placebo?<span id='postcolor'>

Just me being "funny" smile.gif

Which one do you want to fly more? Helicopters or fighters?

If you want to fly helicotpers, join the army. Try to get some flight experience on your own before you join so training will have less of a learning curve. If your scores are high you'll be more likely to be selected for a high performance helicopter.

If you want to fly fighters, join the air force. You have to have a 4 year bachelor degree, preferably in a science or math related major, but it doesn't matter that much (you have to be an officer to fly for the air force, and you have to have a college degree to be an officer). Again I reccomend taking a few flying lessons before going into training. It'll help your scores and that will help your chances of getting selected for fighters.

My advice to you is to study up on math and science. Play on a football team or something at your school so you'll get in good shape, and have some extra curriculars under your belt. Don't do drugs, stay in school, don't drink, do your homework. wink.gif

Only Officers and Warrant Officers are allowed to fly. So either get a College Degree or be some kind of super soldier in Boot Camp and they may send you to OCS (Officers Candidate School) they send about 2-3 from every class.

But why fly when you can jump out of perfectly good airplanes like i did? wink.gif

Pilots do other stuff.In the navy here if u look at the careers bit if u want to fly the choppers u have to go in at an officer class with the ability to upgrade to commander.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Firstly, you need to prepare yourself. Train very hard to pass the medical examination. Secondly, you better shape up at school if you already haven't. <span id='postcolor'>

ah yes funny qualifications and class filtering which is why u see all the yahoos in the officer ranks.

hmm i wish i got a degree in something stupid so i could apply for a job that requires a generic higher qualification so i can walk in and say "HI I HAVE A DEGREE IN HOME ECONOMICS WHICH HAS NOTHING WHAT SO EVER TO DO WITH THIS WORK POSITION BUT WITHOUT IT U WOULDNT HAVE SEEN ME,GIMME A JOB FATBOY biggrin.gifcrazy.gif

Well, after having served for 6 years in the Navy I may be a bit biased, but the Navy has helicopter pilots as well, so if you want helos you could do it in both services. As far as the Air Force is concerned, do it only if you want the stability of being stationed in one place for your military career. And the Air Force has bases in some really attractive places too. Luxury spots like Texas, Oklahoma, central California, Alaska. Do it for the glamour and the babes! Now if you want to be a real fighter pilot and see the world, join the Navy. The Navy has "aviators" not pilots. The difference? Aviators land on moving and pitching aircraft carriers at night in pitch black conditions, where there is only 250 feet of landing space on a deck crowded with explosive aviation fuel, ordinance and aircraft. Air Force pilots land on a nice lit up runway with 5 miles of room for those "whoops I f#cked up!" occassions. Also, if you have to punch out in the Navy, the odds are that you're going into the water or into the open arms of some very unhappy people you just bombed the hell out of. Plus, there is just something about the snazzy dress white and dress blue uniforms that enabled us to outdo the Air Force zoomies in their sky blue blues when it came to getting the chicks. If you are a single guy with no ties to a family and you want to have a lot of fun, join the Navy. If you want to see your wife and family and have them come with you wherever you go, join the Air Force. Remember, you need to be an officer for both services, which means a four year degree is essential. You can get a commission from the enlisted ranks, but the odds of making it are very, very, very slim and you would need to be outstanding in every way, physically, academically and even politically. the enlisted men recommended for OCS or BOOST or the NECP all have a certain saavy in getting the officers who do the selecting to notice them. It requires intelligence, hard work and a certain diplomatic skill. Also, you'll need more than a bit of luck as well, so my advice to you is go the ROTC route, get a university degree and an automatic commisssion. It will shorten your already long odds of getting selected for pilot or aviator training. You can become an Army warrant officer chopper pilot from the enlisted ranks, but again, the selection process is EXTREMELY competitive. Good luck!

It depends on what you want to fly, I plan to join the airforce to aim to fly an F-15 or maybe an F-22. if you want to fly FA-18's,F-14's etc than it's navy. If your not in the best of shape like I am, I would do a sport in school if you can do it but make sure you do well in school. The big thing seems to do well on the test.

I think you can't have anything done to your eyes to make it 20/20

you can join every branch of the US forces if you're going for the helicopters. Navy, Army, Air Force, USMC they all have choppers.

Join the Marines. Fly F/A 18's, Harriers, and Cobras!

Fighter pilot´s test arent´t that hard.

Just be cool at all times and ya got half of it.

I would join the navy, there you got the best options, flying Navy from carrier´s, fly Marine Corps AH1´s (hey,still the prettiest wink.gif ) or you can join the Marine Corps as grunt or the Navy as SEAL...

So you got many options there and they are all great smile.gif

greetz

Chavez

if you want to fly helicopters, join the Army.

if you want to fly the latest in aircraft technology and call everyone by their first name, join the Air Force.

if you want to fly the COOL jets, join the Navy.

if you want to... Ugh! Hoorah! Snakes for breakfast! ....join the Marines.

in all seriousness though, all the branches are good. it really boils down to what you personally want to do, and what your lifestyle is like. i wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do!

thankx guys, i know some stuff i didnt know before now, i want to fly helicopters more, i would prefer to fly an Apache, *any Apache pilots in here?* yes i have 20\20 vision good in science um i do good enough for a B in math. but i kick a$$ in science. as for jumping out of a perfectly good airplane, thjats my plan quite soon, i've always wanted to jump outta a plane. with a parachute of course. =P i would love to fly a Comanche those are so cool. thankx guys. as for the Air Force....no thankx

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (icemaniac_02 @ Mar. 14 2003,17:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">thankx guys, i know some stuff i didnt know before now,  i want to fly helicopters more, i would prefer to fly an Apache, *any Apache pilots in here?* yes i have 20\20 vision good in science um i do good enough for a B in math. but i kick a$$ in science.  as for jumping out of a perfectly good airplane, thjats my plan quite soon, i've always wanted to jump outta a plane. with a parachute of course. =P    i would love to fly a Comanche those are so cool. thankx guys. as for the Air Force....no thankx<span id='postcolor'>

You need to decide whether you want to be a paratrooper or a pilot. You can't really do both.  not much intersection there.  I suppose you could try to get into jump school and become a five jump chump but that would be just abot it if you are an army aviator.

i want to be a pilot, but i meant i want to paradrop, lik go pay for a drop or whatever people do just to jump.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PitViper @ Mar. 15 2003,00:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You need to decide whether you want to be a paratrooper or a pilot. You can't really do both.  not much intersection there.  <span id='postcolor'>

What if you're a Hokum pilot? tounge.gif