Sign in to follow this  
PitViper

What vehicles have you owned?

Just curious what people have owned for vehicles on this board. I'll post what I currently drive and what I've owned in the past soon.

"Chaika" mountainbike tounge.gif (yes, it is one of the reasons I like the I-153 "Chaika" in Forgotten battles biggrin.gif )

I rebuilt a '76 Camaro. I loved that stupid piece of shit and like an idiot sold it when I joined the military.

Since I'm being transferred to Japan soon I've held off on getting a car since you can't bring any new American sold cars over there. You can bring a car though, if it was built on or before (you guessed it) 1976.

Until then all I drive is rental cars.

Restored '70 and '72 Novas, and a '69 Charger R/T.  Selling the Dodge ranks as one of my saddest memories, having spent over 2 1/2 years building it.  Moved on to an '87 Buick Grand National; currently drive a '98 Formula Firebird.  The wife drives a '99 Grand Prix GTP.

Semper Fi

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (E6Hotel @ Mar. 13 2003,18:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Restored '70 and '72 Novas, and a '69 Charger R/T.  Selling the Dodge ranks as one of my saddest memories, having spent over 2 1/2 years building it.  Moved on to an '87 Buick Grand National; currently drive a '98 Formula Firebird.  The wife drives a '99 Grand Prix GTP.

Semper Fi<span id='postcolor'>

The Buick Grand National and Chevrolet Impala SS rank up there as my two favorite "sleeper" cars. I would love to have any of the cars you have/had. biggrin.gif

Hopefully when I get back to the states I can get my hands on an HSV based Pontiac GTO.

I'd like to ask you american fellas a question - are ex-military vehicles populare over there?

I know it's a weird quiestion - but the reason for asking is that those who have over here usually repaint the vehicles in plain colour.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (brgnorway @ Mar. 13 2003,18:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'd like to ask you american fellas a question - are ex-military vehicles populare over there?

I know it's a weird quiestion - but the reason for asking is that those who have over here usually repaint the vehicles in plain colour.<span id='postcolor'>

Military vehicles are popular when people can get ahold of them in one piece (govt cuts alot of them up). Mostly you see them at car shows in original paint and fitting.

State owned vehicles on the other hand are pretty popular and easy to obtain. You can get used police cars and forestry vehicles at auction. People pretty much always repaint these (and with the police cars I think you have to).

Ex-military vehicles aren't terribly popular here, and I can understand why.

There are basically two reasons why you might want one, one is for the functionality (farmers, people who like to go off-roading in an overbuilt vehicle), and the other is because they are cheap.

The former group is the one that tends to buy them here, but still not in large numbers. Those looking for cheap transportation find that a 24V electrical system is a pain to maintain when auto parts stores only carry 12V parts, and that the fuel consumption of these vehicles makes them expensive to drive as well.

Ok - thanks both of you for the answers.

The european (at least the scandinavian countries) use standard offroad vehicles like Land-Rover Defender and the Mercedes-Benz Gelenderwagen. The only usual modifications are stiffer suspension and higher ground clearance + they lack all things that make a comfortable drive  smile.gif

I'm thinking of buying a Defender and have it repainted when I finish studying. Their cheap - have strong diesel engines........and are totally overkill  biggrin.gif

http://www.fmk.dk/laro_salg/laro_billeder01.htm

Although I'd rather have this one - if I had the money:

http://www.dinside.no/php/art.php?id=86540&bid=4

Hmmm,...In chronological order:

1) Green 72 Ford Galaxie 500 4 Door (exactly like Dirty Harrys car)

2) 84 Toyota pickup

3) BAD ASSED 82 Pontiac Firebird, with a rebuilt 1970 455 SD shoe-horned under the hood

4) 1987 Pontiac TransAm

5) 1973 Chevy Caprice, two door...with a small block 400

currently) 2001 Dodge Durango XL

(I actually still have all of them except for the Ford Galaxie, and the Chevy Caprice)...although I do still have the motor out of the Chevy.

Edited to add: 83 Suzuki GS550L, and soon to be 2003 Yamaha V-MAX

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (madmedic @ Mar. 14 2003,04:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hmmm,...In chronological order:

2) 84 Toyota pickup

3) BAD ASSED 82 Pontiac Firebird, with a rebuilt 1970 455 SD shoe-horned under the hood

4) 1987 Pontiac TransAm

(I actually still have all of them except for the Ford Galaxie, and the Chevy Caprice)...although I do still have the motor out of the Chevy.

Edited to add: 83 Suzuki GS550L, and soon to be 2003 Yamaha V-MAX<span id='postcolor'>

Christ - I'd like to see your garage wow.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (brgnorway @ Mar. 14 2003,04:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (madmedic @ Mar. 14 2003,04:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hmmm,...In chronological order:

2) 84 Toyota pickup

4) 1987 Pontiac TransAm

Edited to add: 83 Suzuki GS550L, and soon to be 2003 Yamaha V-MAX<span id='postcolor'>

Christ - I'd like to see your garage  wow.gif<span id='postcolor'>

He's probably a redneck in the deep south, and they are all in his front yard!

If you've got five cars in the front yard that aint mobile, but your trailer is, YA MIGHT BE A REDNECK!

(I love Jeff Foxworthy! )

Lets see:

1981 Honda Prelude.  I loved that car.  Sadly, it was on it's last legs when I got it, and I ran it to death...then sent it off to the wrecker.

And thats it.  I grew up in a SMALL town in Northern BC (4500 people) and there wasnt anywhere I couldnt go with my mountain bike.  My ex wife has a car though! wink.gif

(PS: Madmedic, it's a joke! No disrespect intended! smile.gif )

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (brgnorway @ Mar. 14 2003,04:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (madmedic @ Mar. 14 2003,04:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hmmm,...In chronological order:

2) 84 Toyota pickup

4) 1987 Pontiac TransAm

LOL...Well, the 82 Firebird was clobbered by a migrant worker van that ran a stop sign...It is dis-mantled, and most of the parts are in storage (only the motor is in my garage)

The 84 Toyota pickup is at my brothers house, (he uses it as a work truck)

The 87 TransAm is whole, and intact...but I have not driven it in over 5 years. It is in storage at my uncles transmission shop (where I worked for about 8 years, before becoming a fire medic)

The motor from the Chevy Caprice sits in the same storage locker as the parts from the Firebird.

The Suzuki is in my garage (occupying the space that will soon be filled with a new V-MAX)

And,...of course, the Durango is what I am driving now

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (madmedic @ Mar. 14 2003,04:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (brgnorway @ Mar. 14 2003,04:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (madmedic @ Mar. 14 2003,04:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hmmm,...In chronological order:

2) 84 Toyota pickup

4) 1987 Pontiac TransAm

LOL...Well, the 82 Firebird was clobbered by a migrant worker van that ran a stop sign...It is dis-mantled, and most of the parts are in storage (only the motor is in my garage)

The 87 TransAm is whole, and intact...but I have not driven it in over 5 years. It is in storage at my uncles transmission shop (where I worked for about 8 years, before becoming a fire medic)

The motor from the Chevy Caprice sits in the same storage locker as the parts from the Firebird.

The Suzuki is in my garage (occupying the space that will soon be filled with a new V-MAX)

And,...of course, the Durango is what I am driving now<span id='postcolor'>

.....which proves the fact that it's nice to have a large family biggrin.gif

--Cars--

1) Black 1969 Camaro with a 427 engine and 3 speed automatic (the 3 speed isnt popular but only about 360 something made and it is for sale)

2) 1986 Jeep Cherokee Limited

3) 1994 Ford Ranger Splash

4) 1998 GMC Sierra 1500

5) 1971 Coachmen RV

--Quads/Fourwheelers--

1989 Yamaha Warrior

1996 Yamaha Warrior

1997 Yamaha warrior

1998 Kawasaki Bayou 220

2000 Yamaha Warrior with headers, pipes, nurf bars and other junk for CC racing

2001 Kawasaki Mojave

2002 Kawasaki Lakota

4 other Bayous and 3 more Lakotas of different years

--Motorcycles---

1986 Honda Rebel

1986 Honda Rebel Limited Edition

1994 Kawasaki Vulcan 750

1974 Honda DT100 Enduro

1972 Honda CB175

Thats all that is in my barn/garage. My cousin owns a fourwheeler dealership so I can get the bikes that people crashed and sold to him that he doesnt have time to fix and sells them to me for real cheap. Well, cheap for a fourwheeler.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (brgnorway @ Mar. 14 2003,04:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (madmedic @ Mar. 14 2003,04:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (brgnorway @ Mar. 14 2003,04:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (madmedic @ Mar. 14 2003,04:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hmmm,...In chronological order:

2) 84 Toyota pickup

4) 1987 Pontiac TransAm

And,...of course, the Durango is what I am driving now<span id='postcolor'>

.....which proves the fact that it's nice to have a large family  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Hell,...I forgot a vehicle.

I also had a 1995 Jeep Cherokee (traded it in on the Durango)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Othin @ Mar. 14 2003,03:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The Buick Grand National and Chevrolet Impala SS rank up there as my two favorite "sleeper" cars.  <span id='postcolor'>

yup.gif

Buick GN = Darth Vader on wheels.  The Charger had a worked 440, but the Buick would have eaten it alive.  (Fortunately, the current 'Bird OWNZ all.)

Wanted to get an '95-ish Imp SS as the family truckster but the wife didn't see the point of getting an "old" car.  I must admit, though, the GTP ain't too bad for a four-door six-banger with wrong-wheel drive.

Semper Fi

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (madmedic @ Mar. 14 2003,04:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">1) Green 72 Ford Galaxie 500 4 Door (exactly like Dirty Harrys car)<span id='postcolor'>

wow, really? my dad had a galaxy but got rid of it because he said he was lucky to even get 10 miles to a gallon of gas out of it biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Since I'm being transferred to Japan soon I've held off on getting a car since you can't bring any new American sold cars over there. You can bring a car though, if it was built on or before (you guessed it) 1976.<span id='postcolor'>

your not aloud to bring any american built car that was made to japan unless it's a 76 or older model? how come? or do you mean a japanese car that was built in 76?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Mar. 14 2003,05:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">1991 Mercury Grand Marquis.  5.6 liter V8

tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

1991 Mercury Grand Freedom 5.6 liter V8

biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Tex [uSMC] Posted on Mar. 13 2003,23:45

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1991 Mercury Grand Marquis. 5.6 liter V8 <span id='postcolor'>

Sweet, they're so much better though after 1992 with the introduction of the 4.6. Thats one fine machine.

Myself - first and only car, 1986 Mercury Topaz.

I'm just wondering - have any of you from US owned european cars? (no flamebaiting)

wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (brgnorway @ Mar. 14 2003,06:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm just wondering - have any of you from US owned european cars? (no flamebaiting)

wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

On our trip to Spain we rented a Renault Twingo:

twingo.jpg

Let's just say I... was not impressed smile.gif