Sign in to follow this  
IceFire

Milk is bad for you

well i've never drink whole milk to begin w/. but i do drink 2%. im not too worried about it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red Oct @ Mar. 11 2003,23:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">well i've never drink whole milk to begin w/. but i do drink 2%. im not too worried about it.<span id='postcolor'>

Same here. BTW how many carbs a day is the average person supposed to take?

Might I point out that the link posted above is in a commercial page, which intends to sell Doctor Atkins miracle lifestyle products?

The person who wrote that milk article has conveniently omitted all references to scientific publications which have claims and results opposite to the official line of the company.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (fraggit @ Mar. 12 2003,07:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Same here. BTW how many carbs a day is the average person supposed to take?<span id='postcolor'>

You can eat as much carbohydrates as you want as long as you don't get fat. If you get fat, eat less carbohydrates and fat and exercise.

By the way, you absolutely have to eat SOME carbohydrates every day for a balanced diet, since your body cannot produce certain biochemical building blocks from anyhing else but carbohydrates.

first, if someone does not make this a bit more related to offtopic, then i'm closing this.

second.

another reason why statistics suck and why medical doctors can't do well in stats.

http://atkinscenter.com/Archive/2002/5/30-970275.html

this is one of the quoted study. the study does not look at things that might cancel out effects of milk. they just look at milk and not the other foods!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">We found no evidence that higher intakes of milk or calcium from food sources reduce fracture incidence<span id='postcolor'>

how about density of bones? fracture incident is not caused by calcium(or lack thereof), but because of other things too.

http://atkinscenter.com/Archive/2002/5/30-931441.html

now this does better job with mutil variate condition, but it still has inherent problem here.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Smoking, underweight in old age, overweight at age 20 years, and weight loss were associated with an increased risk of hip fracture. Consumption of dairy products, particularly at age 20 years, was associated with an increased risk of hip fracture in old age.<span id='postcolor'>

there are other reasons to say calcium is not the factor, but the others mentioned above. also, in the second sentence, they forgot to see if those who drank milk had more active life in later years, that would increase the chance of getting close with more demanding activity that would have more chance of causing more bodily harm.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Mar. 12 2003,08:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">first, if someone does not make this a bit more related to offtopic, then i'm closing this.<span id='postcolor'>

There was an article last year about overweight problems in the US armed forces. Got link? biggrin.gif

About the article, it's not really a promo for Atkins diet supplements. Read the last paragraph, unless of course the good doctor has bought out the US wholesale green vegetable market.

As an Atkins diet fan myself, I think the article is as excessive as the milk advert campaign sounds at time.

A glass or two of milk a day won't hurt. That's the carbohydrate equivalent of one apple at the most.

As far as eating as much carbs as you want as long as you don't get fat, well, unfortunately there are too many cause/effect cases to recommend against this idea.

If your body develops an addiction to carbs (very easy, especially as the years go by, kiddies), you will have a tough time staying away. Your body might also streamline its process of sugar storage and ramp up insulin production, which will only increase your cravings tremendously.

Well, don't eat more than you consume. If you go to gym and train hard you certainly have to eat much to grow. You can eat as much as you want as long as you balance your eating with exercise. I think this all eating-habit hype is mostly for people that don't want to excercise and instead just stare their calories and nutritions.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 12 2003,09:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As far as eating as much carbs as you want as long as you don't get fat, well, unfortunately there are too many cause/effect cases to recommend against this idea.

If your body develops an addiction to carbs (very easy, especially as the years go by, kiddies), you will have a tough time staying away. Your body might also streamline its process of sugar storage and ramp up insulin production, which will only increase your cravings tremendously.<span id='postcolor'>

Too much of anything will affect you in a negative way. Considering that carbohydrates (glucose namely) are THE main choke point of mammalian biochemical processes (almost everything you eat will be first converted to glucose and then processed to things that your body needs), I really must say that it is how much you eat, not what you eat. As long as you eat a balanced diet (all those vitamins, some fat and some glucose) and refrain from eating more that you consume, you're going to be okay.

Remember, consumption of calories can be increased with exercise. Exercise = no obesity, just like driving a long distance without getting gas = empty gas tank. Glucose is the gasoline of human body.

Insulin production will be down regulated as swiftly as up regulated by your body, if need be. Insulin is just the signalling molecule of the mechanism, which keeps an optimal supply of glucose circulating in your blood.

Milk causes cancer too? Are there any foods (or drinks) left which don't cause cancer? It seems just about every week scientists find something new which can cause cancer. I might as well stop eating and drinking altogether!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MadKiwi @ April 08 2003,07:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Are there any foods (or drinks) left which don't cause cancer?<span id='postcolor'>

Remember in 1990, when Perrirer was found to have a little benzine found blended in? wow.gifbiggrin.gifsad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Remember in 1990, when Perrirer was found to have a little benzine found blended in?<span id='postcolor'>

Mmmm, can't get enough of that delicious benzine.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Milk causes cancer too? Are there any foods (or drinks) left which don't cause cancer? It seems just about every week scientists find something new which can cause cancer. I might as well stop eating and drinking altogether!<span id='postcolor'>

Seems moonlight causes it as well. Better stay indoors at night!

Sick of all these food alarms, etc. I don't care, just keep on eating what I always eat. I probably drink 2 liters of milk on 3 days, due to tasty Kellogg's corn flakes..

I checked that site, and only read the subtitles like "calcium blah blah a myth," I get the impression this is not an "alarm" but just an article trying to say that milk is not important for the bone? Not that it matters anyway..

Rule to live by:

Everything is okay in moderation, even arsenic lol. I mean, if you drink a gallon of milk a day, of course it isn't going to be good for you. But drinking a glass every day isn't going to hurt. Same with almost everything, except VX and sarin smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (iNeo @ April 08 2003,23:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sick of all these food alarms, etc. I don't care, just keep on eating what I always eat. I probably drink 2 liters of milk on 3 days, due to tasty Kellogg's corn flakes..

I checked that site, and only read the subtitles like "calcium blah blah a myth," I get the impression this is not an "alarm" but just an article trying to say that milk is not important for the bone? Not that it matters anyway..<span id='postcolor'>

I`m of the same opinion. We are drinking milk for some thousand years now. It can`t be bad. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MadKiwi @ April 08 2003,06:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Milk causes cancer too?  Are there any foods (or drinks) left which don't cause cancer?<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah.. cigarettes. They recently found out that nicotine and tar is insanely healthy. The horror campaigns where just poor propaganda from evil green-grocer cults. So smoke alot and live forever man biggrin.gif

Biting your nails is bad for your health too, it has been proven that there are a lot of things under your nails that you do not want to eat.

Drinking the last Beer from my fridge can be EXTREMELY hazardous to your health mad.gif

yup. so is going off topic.

on side note, i heard that Atkins(foudner of that diet) is in hospital for some injury.

closing.