Sign in to follow this  
Tovarish

Would you like some freedom fries with that?

So I guess I can no longer have a french kiss leading up to the use of a french letter sad.gif

Yeah, I heard about that this morning on the news. biggrin.gif I've got no problem at all w/ it. I also think boycotting French goods is a good idea.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (edc @ Mar. 11 2003,23:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yeah, I heard about that this morning on the news. biggrin.gif   I've got no problem at all w/ it.  I also think boycotting French goods is a good idea.<span id='postcolor'>

So when can France expect to have the Statue of Liberty back? smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Mar. 11 2003,23:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So I guess I can no longer have a french kiss leading up to the use of a french letter sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Of course you can, but it will be called a "freedom kiss" and a "freedom letter". smile.gif

This must be the absolutely most ridiculous thing that I have heard in a very long time. I would like to make a comment, but I am left speechless by the amazing amount of stupidity, bad taste and pretentiousness that is behind this move.

Damn it, I was going to post about this two days ago, but I couldnt find an article.  I saw it on the news at night, and then I thought everyone would call me a liar since I couldnt post an article for reference sad.gif

I'm not sure but I seem to remember you could still buy Argentine beef over here during the Falklands war biggrin.gif

I don't really care either way about the renaming of food. I just wish they would have picked a better name, freedom is such an overused (and misunderstood) word as of late.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (edc @ Mar. 11 2003,23:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yeah, I heard about that this morning on the news. biggrin.gif   I've got no problem at all w/ it.  I also think boycotting French goods is a good idea.<span id='postcolor'>

It could easily hit back at you. Guess lots of luxurious items "made in the US" won't be sold on the european market.

Hmm...I'll consider this if I win the lottery - "I ain't gonna buy Martin Logan- Krell- or Mark Levinson products in the future then" .

smile.gif

I lack of words... The US government is in my eyes going down the drain. That`s kindergarten-behaviour at it`s best! The worst thing: Those wackos have WMDs!!!  crazy.gif

Yeah, I think this is pretty stupid, and ridiculous.

But at the same time, it's pointless, and harmless. I guess just a way for us to blow off steam at the French.

On the other hand, I see no point in boycotting French products. It's stupid and petty.

Remember, the French people, and French vendors arn't the French government. Why harm the people?

Sure they are being stubborn and stupid, but does it really matter what the French's opinion is anyways? I mean why is everyone making such a big deal about it?

Personally, I like French cheese. If I see some, I wouln't hesitate to buy it because I want to punish some French farmer.

Jeez.

This is the stupidest thing I've heard since the naem change of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone to Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone to "dumb it down" for American audiences.

What an insular attitude, bordering on racist.

It's the same dumb reasoning Australian band Shihad had to change their name to Pacifier in the USA - apparently Shihad sounded too much like Jihad (terrorist connotations).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ Mar. 12 2003,00:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What's wrong with the word "sorceror"?<span id='postcolor'>

Nothing, but it's not the name of the book. (And the fact that a philosophers stone is an actual object from mythology).

The company that released the movie thought the word philosopher might be a little intimidating for US audiences (anti-intellectualism at it's best).

Anyway, here's a little quote from Becker that I love:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"Y'know? All right. I don't like rap music. Is that okay with you? Y'know, I don't like polka music either, but I like Polish sausage. I hate Chinese checkers, but I love french fries. I hate Belgian waffles, love German Shepards, can't stand English muffins. Here's a real puzzler: hate Danish cheese, love cheese danish." -Becker<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aaron Kane @ Mar. 12 2003,00:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Booyah!  I found my article...

Quelle horreur!<span id='postcolor'>

What they fail to mention is that France imports far more goods from the US then vice versa. A mutual boycott would hurt USA economically much more then it would hurt France. Sure, the French would not get their Coca-Cola, but USA wouldn't get their $$$. So you can figure out who will be more unhappy, the French without Coke or the Americans without dollars. smile.gif

My response to this is 'Big Deal'. We all know that legislatures are fundamentally immature organizations- anyone who's seen a session of Parliament in progress understands that. It's no different with our Senate and House (probably more so). A running joke in America is that we elect our Congressmen according to who we want to have far away from our state for several years. It is an incredibly insignificant gesture which is doubtless more than a little toungue-in-cheek. Incidentally, neither French toast nor French fries were invented in France, and I imagine French culture snobs would disown both if given half the chance.

Yeah, but I really doubt the French would counter boycott us by boycotting our stuff.

I'd like to see that happen.

Alot more young folks there who eat at McDonalds and drink coke than Americans who actually go out looking for French food and cheese.

How many times in your life have you went out to grab some french food, or some French drink. How many times have you been to a McDonalds or drank a coke?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ Mar. 12 2003,00:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yeah, but I really doubt the French would counter boycott us by boycotting our stuff.

Alot more young folks there who eat at McDonalds and drink coke than Americans who actually go out looking for French food and cheese.

How many times in your life have you went out to grab some french food, or some French drink.   How many times have you been to a McDonalds or drank a coke?<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, you've got some points there - but remember - France has always had a considerable culture of opposition to the american way - especially when talking about food.

I guess that could tip the balance.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (OxPecker @ Mar. 11 2003,15:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ Mar. 12 2003,00:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What's wrong with the word "sorceror"?<span id='postcolor'>

Nothing, but it's not the name of the book. (And the fact that a philosophers stone is an actual object from mythology).

The company that released the movie thought the word philosopher might be a little intimidating for US audiences (anti-intellectualism at it's best).

Anyway, here's a little quote from Becker that I love:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"Y'know? All right. I don't like rap music. Is that okay with you? Y'know, I don't like polka music either, but I like Polish sausage. I hate Chinese checkers, but I love french fries. I hate Belgian waffles, love German Shepards, can't stand English muffins. Here's a real puzzler: hate Danish cheese, love cheese danish." -Becker<span id='postcolor'><span id='postcolor'>

Offtopic here, but that would be wrong.

First of all, the name was changed before the book even hit the shores. It was changed because of a fundamental difference in the meaning of philosopher from shore to shore. To me a philosopher is someone like Plato, not an old man who practices magic.

Someone who practices magic or sorcery is either a magician or a sorcerer (by definition). Someone who practices philosophey is a....philosopher.

And according to dictionary.com a philosophers stone is "an imaginary stone which the alchemists formerly sought as instrument of converting the baser metals into gold."

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=philosopherhttp://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sorceryhttp://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=magician

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ Mar. 12 2003,00:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yeah, but I really doubt the French would counter boycott us by boycotting our stuff.

How many times in your life have you went out to grab some french food, or some French drink.   How many times have you been to a McDonalds or drank a coke?<span id='postcolor'>

I cerainly eat more French food then American. I do however have a weakness for Coke wink.gif

And don't underestimate the French stubbornness and national pride. Unlike most of Europe the French have never liked the American influence (or intrusions if you will) in their culture. They don't watch much American TV, don't go much to McDonalds. A prime example of that is the EuroDisney in Paris (Disneyland) that has been an economic fiasco since the day they opened.

A French boycott of USA is actually more plausible then vice versa since Americans are more facinated by making money then the French are. And believe it or not, the French can be damn stubborn when it comes to matters of national pride.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 12 2003,00:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ Mar. 12 2003,00:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yeah, but I really doubt the French would counter boycott us by boycotting our stuff.

I cerainly eat more French food then American. I do however have a weakness for Coke wink.gif

And don't underestimate the French stubbornness and national pride. Unlike most of Europe the French have never liked the American influence (or intrusions if you will) in their culture. They don't watch much American TV, don't go much to McDonalds. A prime example of that is the EuroDisney in Paris (Disneyland) that has been an economic fiasco since the day they opened.

A French boycott of USA is actually more plausible then vice versa since Americans are more facinated by making money then the French are. And believe it or not, the French can be damn stubborn when it comes to matters of national pride.<span id='postcolor'>

While I do understand that MANY MANY french people HATE american food and American culture. (It seems that it is a part of French culture to criticize American culture)

MANY young people in HighSchool and College like Americans, drink Pepsi, Coke, and DO eat at McDonalds.

They even have their own "French" version of McDonalds called "Quick".

I do agree that most adults though, and older folks HATE American culture and fast food(Personally I can't blame them. Gastronomy is one of the few things the French ARE very good at, and proud of)

Oh, and how can they call it "American intrusion" if they are the ones who let it into their country? They shouln't be angry at us for that, but at themselves. They don't have to let us in and buy American products.

As for EuroDisney, it is doing MUCH better these days just as it's American cousins back here.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 12 2003,00:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ Mar. 12 2003,00:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yeah, but I really doubt the French would counter boycott us by boycotting our stuff.

A French boycott of USA is actually more plausible then vice versa since Americans are more facinated by making money then the French are. And believe it or not, the French can be damn stubborn when it comes to matters of national pride.<span id='postcolor'>

Exactly! Just as I said. But think about this - what's going to happen to the Hamburger? Should it be called Freedom "burger" ? However, Burger sounds very german so it might end up as "Freedombugger" ?

biggrin.gif