Sign in to follow this  
Snoopy

Spiffy new game engine

Uhhh, for some reason I don't want to be the first to click.

wow.gif

Errmmh... if thats the crytek engine, used in X-Isle or whatever, it certainly isnt the same one as the second picture which is from S.T.A.L.K.E.R's x-ray engine.

The coolest parts about the cry engine are actually the AI and the editor.

During a demo of it I watched one of the developers build, or rather paint, an entire island in about 10 minutes, containing trees, swamps, a couple of buildings, 1 vehicle, 6 enemies of which 2 were on a patrol pattern. He then jumped directly into the island, without compilation, and "played" it. Then popped out again, with no delay, and back into the editor.

As for the AI, it uses no scripts. Anchors let the AI know what to do, and when to do it. This means they will act differently evertime you engage them. They are also sneaky bastards, cooperating to get you under the command of a leader. The leader will actually shout out orders, and his soldiers will follow them. Outflanking is not unusual, or using suppressive fire while their buddies close in on you. Taking out the leader will of course be a rather smart thing to do. Same goes for radio men. As long as they have a radioman, they can keep calling in reinforcements.

Its simply a treat to play, extremely fun and full of eye candy. Looking forward to the finished product myself.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 11 2003,07:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've uninstalled OFP.

Now I'm just playing this clip in a loop for the next 2 years. tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

How dare you?!?? crazy.gifmad.gifmad.gif

tounge.gifwink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (R. Gerschwarzenge @ Mar. 11 2003,08:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Very nice engine. I hope the game won't look so plastic when it's released.

But I'm waiting for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. much more than this.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes I agree , STALKER looks better , the movie looked kind of

arcadish to me , but I might follow it and check it out later .

STALKER is more interesting though for me .

I found out the specs of the machine shown in the video, i emailed them.

It was on a P4 1.6

that was all they said but they said my system would run it fine -

2400 XP

512 mb DDR

GF4 128 mb

I'm waiting much more for STALKER....sounds like a great idea, let alone a beautiful engine. Plus I'm a big fan of the movie (not that it will be all that much like it).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hit_Sqd_Maximus @ Mar. 13 2003,05:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is there a link for this stalker game?<span id='postcolor'>

http://www.stalker-game.com/index_eng.html

There you are!

smile.gif

Yea, you're right. STALKER looks much more real. crytec looks a bit cartoon-ish compared to it.

I like the story for Stalker, I hope there will be cooperatives missions for it!

STALKER still bows to the Counter Strike crowd and puts the ejection ports and controls on the wrong side of the weapons.

Grrrr...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Snoopy @ Mar. 13 2003,07:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I like the story for Stalker, I hope there will be cooperatives missions for it!<span id='postcolor'>

You really should read the FAQ of Stalker. I think it will give you satisfying answers. smile.gif

http://www.stalker-game.com/index.php?t=game&s=gameplay&ss=faq

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Mar. 13 2003,07:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">STALKER still bows to the Counter Strike crowd and puts the ejection ports and controls on the wrong side of the weapons.

Grrrr...<span id='postcolor'>

Does it really matter if it's really athmospheric and has depth (unlike most FPS games). Good games don't have to be always so realistic (Thiefs, Deus Ex, System Shocks) wink.gif.

Are you saying System Shock isn't real? That Shodan doesn't exist? *Sniff* Noooooo....... wink.gif

L-l-l-look at you hacker. A P-p-p-pathetic creature of meat and bone. P-p-panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. Ho-how-how can you challenge, a P-perfect, Immortal machine.