Sign in to follow this  
IceFire

Raven shield (was RS sp demo out.)

Ok, I just checked the rules, nothing about discussing other games. I think I'm paranoid about rules now.

Unfortunately it won't let me post again in my other screwed up thread.

I downloaded the SP demo of Raven Shield.

So far I think it's an AWESOME CQB CT game.

INCREDIBLY realistic. With a very realistic damage system.

Not to mention your AI men is very good. They automatically cover possible danger zones. And they automatically conform their covering zones to the "shape" of the area you are in.

Like if you are in a hallway or corridor, they will cover the ends. If you are in a large room with many nooks and crannies where enemies can pop out from everywhere, your AI men will change the areas of what they are covering.

So far, VERY good. What do you think?

The enemy AI is too easy- i finished the demo hostage rescue with 25 terrorists and no casualties confused.gif

The new Hearbeat Sensor is a lot better than the old one, but i miss the old radar screen sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (drewb99 @ Mar. 09 2003,00:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The enemy AI is too easy- i finished the demo hostage rescue with 25 terrorists and no casualties confused.gif

The new Hearbeat Sensor is a lot better than the old one, but i miss the old radar screen sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Ya but was it on hard level ?

Very nice smile.gif . ANd one of the best things for me is it actually runs on my computer(albeit w/ everything on low, and some stutters here and there). Even w/ the gfx on low it still looks fairly good.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (drewb99 @ Mar. 08 2003,23:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The enemy AI is too easy- i finished the demo hostage rescue with 25 terrorists and no casualties confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, that's cause in the demo the enemies are SUPPOSED to be easy.

They said in the game that the enemy is untrained, poorly organized, poorly equiped, and not that bright.

This demo has really impressed me

I played Rainbow Six and Rogue Spear , Raven Shield is a huge improvement in single player

The AI has human imperfection at last , there is no more instant reaction/aiming/headshot when they see you. The movement are far more improved (the tangos look for cover)

The control you have on the rainbow squad ingame is very interesting with the point and click it remind me in some way OFP wink.gif

The mission is actually easy , because after some games you can predict where are the possible "random" places the tangos can spawn. But it is the first mission of the full game, so it must be the easiest i think

Playing in several gametype, as the previous R6 titles is always interesting

It's fantastic, now all it needs is a swat 3 command menu and it would be great.

I like the weapons, also the terrorists sometimes have torches on their weapons, like surefire thingies. Why can't we have em ey like in swat 3?

Apart from the above minor things it looks really good, and there is a lot of potential for mods because of the unreal 2003 similarity.

Jinef, Why would you want the SWAT3 type menu??

You can do everything in the game and make all the commands that you can in SWAT3, AND it's easier, and faster.

I don't see why you would want to make it less better with the SWAT3 command menu.

When i was playing i couldn't get my guys to do stuff like move down corridors and clear on their own without me coming up and saying what to do on each bloody room!

I would just like to see a bit more intuition from the AI guys.

This menu layout is fine, i'm just saying have more options.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jinef @ Mar. 09 2003,01:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">When i was playing i couldn't get my guys to do stuff like move down corridors and clear on their own without me coming up and saying what to do on each bloody room!

I would just like to see a bit more intuition from the AI guys.

This menu layout is fine, i'm just saying have more options.<span id='postcolor'>

So you're saying 2 different things?

First you state you want your men to be more independant and do things on their own.

That would mean them doing things without you giving them orders, thus meaning you wouln't need the command menu anyways.

Then you state you want more options for the command menu.

Those 2 things you said contradict eachother.

Maybe I am just not understanding. Plus, in SWAT3, your men don't really go out and do things on their own.

They certainly don't breach and clear rooms without you telling them to do so, and I would think for good reason.

You are the commanding officer, and it is up to YOU to determine how you want to approach the mission, not the AI.

Okay i just read through my posts and i realise that i jst contradicted myself. oops.

What i mean (i think) is that if i don't want to clear a large area i can just tell the ai to do it like the search command in swat3 while i just sit in the safe zone, go downstsirs and make a sandwhich.

I don't know about the sandwich part, but you can tell your men to breach and clear a room.

You can order them to move wherever and they will clear that area for you.

You can hangback and let them do the clearing if that's what you mean. You hold down spacebar on a door to a room you want them to clear and it will bring up the IN GAME COMMAND MENU(Also by clicking on the ingame menu with your right mouse button instead of left, it will make them do it on a ZULU command).

And you can just click on a spot on the ground you want them to move to and they will clear it.

Oh, and more about that letting the AI do it as you sit back.

You CAN do more.

Learn how to properly use the waypoints.

There isn't much you can't direct your teams to do using waypoints in the mission planning that you can't do in the actual game.

After that, you can just watch the whole mission go down in "Observer" mode, or you could get into the game, while the other teams are doing all their waypoints.

I think it's exactly what you are looking for.

I once completed a complicated Hostage rescue all by using waypoints from the planning phase.

All I had to do was sit and watch the action unfold as my teams went off.

I only did that as once to see how good it was. Personally I wouln't really use that "Observer mode" feature because it's unrealistic.

But it's a great way to see if your waypoints plan is sound as you don't do anything.

I know that in real life everything in these missions is preplanned and there is very little deviation from the plan.

Which i think is okay but they should try to add random elements, let's say the terrorist revealed halfway through the mission that there was a bomb in another part of the map or even a whole different area and you had to react quickly. Or the tangos decide to bring in reinforcements.

DL'ing from a Swedish link. smile.gif

1,15 MByte/sec | 9,2 Mbit/sec

tounge.gif

Ouch! I wish the british could get their internet connetions sorted out. I'm on 512kb per sec here.

I'm on 1mb and the "female genitalia" at NTL are trying to impose a 1gb per day DL limit, yay a connection I can use for 2 and a half hours a day, yay mad.gif

Hehe I'm so glad I have 10 Mbit/sec and no DL/UL or connection time limits at all smile.gif Costs only 29€ a month also.

Im on a 56k that cuts off every 2 hrs and only d/ls at around 4 KB on a good day

crazy.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gif

Okay back to Raven Shield, the AI uses ammo like the American military. If they see a guy 200 metres away they full auto the entire area! mad.gif

Whatever happened to the rainbow policy of 3 shots to the head? Also they fire and hit but the guns are pointing the wrong way, it's another problem with the accuracy going all over the place.

They had this in rogue spear as well, the bullets would come out the gun at a 40 degree angle!

I played SP demo quickly, and gotta say although my system is even below minimum requirement by a hair, it ran ok. SP seems to have less of problem compared to MP.

so just for SP, I might buy it.

the angle of guns pointed out by Jinef is pretty usual in RS series except GR, AFAIS.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jinef @ Mar. 09 2003,16:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Okay back to Raven Shield, the AI uses ammo like the American military. If they see a guy 200 metres away they full auto the entire area!  mad.gif

Whatever happened to the rainbow policy of 3 shots to the head?<span id='postcolor'>

I think they did this as a game balancing issue. If they could shoot like truly elite soldiers, the game wouldn't be that challenging.

just played another short one, and realized that reloading is a lot more detailed. if you have a round in chamber(i.e. exchange magazine that is not empty) than they will just change the magazine, where as if you are out of ammo, they will cock the gun. very funny biggrin.gif

I wish there was an option for hotkeys for all the commands. I play with gamecommander and voice comands are still easier, faster than the spacebar. That's what I liked about SWAT 3. 'blue breach bang and clear' is all I had to say to get things done smile.gif

The ai isn't perfect. Don't get them to clear a room with a gernade, they will drop it right infront of the door and kill the whole squad. I've had that happen a few times.

COLINMAN