Sign in to follow this  
nolips71

The best ww2 fighter aircraft

what in your view was the best ww2 fighter aircraft?

As seen in the Forgotten Battles thread:

Yak-3

yak3-1.jpg

the German High Command issued a directive instructing Luftwaffe pilots to avoid combat with "those Yakolev fighters which have no oil cooler on the nose and have an inclined aerial mast".

The last of the WWII Yak series and the smallest and lightest of the fighters on the Allied side.

Let's see if this thread can avoid becoming another "my country has better toys" flamewar. Give your oppinions and try to back them up, be mature about it! tounge.gif

Although im tempted to say P-51D Mustang..

I still think the Sea Fury is the best plane.. it was fast.. manoevrable.. had good guns (4x20mm) And carrier borne smile.gif

far from the "best" plane in world war 2, my FAVORITE plane is by far the P-40. it just has that basic airplane look that looks cool, and it could also take quite a bit of abuse. biggrin.gif but as far as the "best" plane, i'd probably say the P-38 Lightning (at least in the pacific theatre). it was fast, maneuverable, had a good armament, and is just plain cool looking!!!

I would have to say p51 mustang for Its speed, manuverability and extreme range. The only major flaw is than one bullet to the cooling system would knock it out of the sky.

The other one I'd say is the p47 thunderbolt, fast nad can take one hell of a beating. To my understanding it was the most heavily armmed fighter of the war (X8 .50cal mg).

The p38 was good but it suffered from reliability issues, I've heard that near the last few years of the war Its pilots were not supposed to fly above 20,000 if at all avoidable.

Some other planes were excellet and extreamly deadly like the spitfire series, and the FW 190, but they typically have pretty short ranges by comparison, holding back my vote.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Mar. 08 2003,15:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">yak3-1.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

WEEEEEEEEE

tounge.gif

me262.jpg

Yes it had it's flaws, but it was a pretty good fighter when it was at it.

I don't know if it fought in WW2 (i know for sure it fought in Korea and even shooted down North Korean Mig-15 Fagot fighters), but i've heard that the Sea Fury is the best prop engine fighter ever made...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aaron Kane @ Mar. 08 2003,17:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Even though I hate it with a PASSION... I'm going to say the Yak3 smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Luftwhiner tounge.gifwink.gif

It depends on your definition of the word 'best' but even though it may not have had the greatest performance statistics of WW2 and the Hurricane may have contributed more numerically to the Battle of Britain id still have to say

The Spitfire.

Theres just something about the sight (and sound) of these babies cruising and rolling over the English countryside that does

it for me every time.

SPITFIRE.jpg

spitfire.jpg

SPITFIRE.jpg

I don't think the sea fury fought in WWII, not exactly sure but I probably would have heard of it if it did. WWII birds have been a special interest of mine ever since I was a little kid. I still remember playing Aces Over Europe when I just 6 years old. I couldn't read alot of the bigger words and didn't always fully understand what my mission objectives were, but I still had alot of fun. I fell in love with war birds after that, and I just kept reading about them and playing the flight sims. It was fortunate that I learned to read at an early age, sooner and much better than most other kids that were my age, and it got me into enrichment programs. LOL, you'd never know it now, Its like my launguage skills just suddenly stopped developing a few years ago, ive maxed out. But anyway, reading really made my childhood gaming experiance alot better than it was for most of my friends.

hmm then I'l choose the Fury.. that did flew in WW2 smile.gif im sure..

Spitfire without a shadow of a doubt because it epitomises the British air effort of WW2 smile.gif

spitfire biggrin.gif it just woops arse. probably i love it so much because i grew up seeing the battle of britain memorial flight

didnt even eisenhower even say it? (or however you spell his name)

Just to put a little spotlight on the pacific theater, I'd say the F4U corsair is a close second. MAYBE the F6F wildcat, but i've heard bad stories.

so it shall be best fighter (ETO) and a separate 1 for (PTO)

PTO: F4U Corsair. Without a doubt!

ETO:

For me it's a toss up between the P-51 and P-47.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Schoeler @ Mar. 08 2003,22:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">P-61 Black Widow.  Fast, heavily armed, maneuverable and a radar equipped night fighter.

P61 Black Widow<span id='postcolor'>

it did bugger all confused.gif

I know I already had my favourite pick, but I think this one also deserves mention, being the aircraft that produced the Allies top scoring ace.

La-7

la7-1.jpg

The spitfire probably. or the Yak 3.

Both were very good aircraft.

But the people of britain devoted all their cooking pots and pans and milk bottle tops and cuttlery to make spitfires.

yeah i'll just say spitfire.