Sign in to follow this  
IceFire

Some questions regarding

Ok, some new questions.

Here's what I need to figure out to do.

1)  I am placing several Russian patrols in an area.  What I want to happen is if ANY of the Russian units sees, and engages a western unit, the surrounding( in about 100 yards around the area where western unit was sighted/engaged) Russian units will move in to help engage any Western units.

Is that possible?

And another unrelated question.

2) A singular western unit will be running in a direction.   Other squads will be moving in a direction(or just standing static) that may cross paths with the first singular western unit.

If for example "squad A" encounters the singular unit, the squad A leader will "join and lead" the singular unit, and then they will all move to a specific location on the map called "Location A".  

If the singular unit, and "squad A" do NOT encounter eachother, the singular unit will continue to move on to "Location A". and "squad A" will move to another location, and then continue on to "Location A".

There are OTHER squads around.   If "squad B" encounters "singular western unit", the squad will take command of singular unit, and then proceed to "Location A" just as "squad A" would.

There will also be squad C and D.  All the same thing.

If any squad does enounter and "joins and leads" singular unit.  All other squads immediately change course or start moving on to "Location A".

If singular western unit makes it to "Location A" alone, all other squads will immediately start to move to "Location A" as soon as "singular western unit" gets to "Location A".

Is this possible?

What would I have to do?

So far I have a good basic knowledge of how to use waypoints, "move", "join and lead", etc..    And I know how to use triggers, and how to sync triggers to waypoints, how to sync waypoints.

But I am still new to creating my own missions.

If all that I said is possible, is there anything I should look up to learn how to do it(if it's all too complicated to explain here)

My guess is I would have to create multiple triggers, each one negating and/or activating other triggers.

But again, I don't even know if THAT is possible.   I imagine that it might be.

By the way, mods, you can delete my last post in my last thread.   I decided to just make it its own thread.

Hey, can any of you figure out what kind of mission I'm making?

Unfortunately I think I kindof made it obvious with my questions.   tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

1) I am placing several Russian patrols in an area. What I want to happen is if ANY of the Russian units sees, and engages a western unit, surrounding( in about 100 yards around the area where western unit was sighted/engaged) Russian units will move in to help engage any Western units.

<span id='postcolor'>

I Bet there is an easyer way but this is what i done! I made a trigger in the area to repeat all the time, and trigger is set to "west" then when triggerd it execture a script. that orders my guarding soldiers to engage the enermy that trigger it!

The best way is build a 2nd trigger in the same area when NO West is present, all enermy soldiers return to their "base/area/location" you wan't them to stand!

About your 2nd question, i would not know i not tryed it, i would how ever guess you need a script to repeat it self then check if the units are close to each others eg 100meters then they join forces. And you also need to write in the script that if they already in the group/joinforced then it should not keep addeding it!

The join and lead thingy would be possible, but you ll have to use alot of triggers and time them.

For instance, Soldier1 arrives at wp1 ( join and lead ), that waypoint is synced with the "join" wp of soldier2. When arriving at wp1 soldier1 trips a trigger that counts down ( trigger type = switch ) The countdown should be as long as you want soldier1 to wait before moving on. Sync that trigger also with wp1, as soon as the trigger activates it switches the wp and soldier1 will resume to wp2.

To trigger that trigger with wp1 just use a variable. In wp1 put in the "on activation" field "trig1=true", in the on condition field of the trigger just put "trig1". Now in the "join" wp of soldier2 put "trig1=false", just to make sure soldier1 doesn t take off without soldier2 when he s there.

It may not be exactly correct, cause im at work thinking this over out of my head, but it sure is the direction you can pull this off.

For the first problem. Putting the patrolling soldiers "engage at will" will help a bit. But most of the time patrolling soldiers who don t see the enemy themselfs will keep patrolling. Even patrolling soldiers who spot enemies often return to their patrol when they loose sight of the enemy.

Putting a bunch of "guard" soldiers. They will search & destroy enemy units at the last point they were seen by other troops.

The great thing about soldiers on a "guard" waypoint is that it almost every time is different. That s good for tension, especially when you have a few apc's or tanks on guard wp's.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (JAP @ Mar. 03 2003,11:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For the first problem.  Putting the patrolling soldiers "engage at will" will help a bit.  But most of the time patrolling soldiers who don t see the enemy themselfs will keep patrolling. Even patrolling soldiers who spot enemies often return to their patrol when they loose sight of the enemy.

Putting a bunch of "guard" soldiers. They will search & destroy enemy units at the last point they were seen by other troops.

The great thing about soldiers on a "guard" waypoint is that it almost every time is different. That s good for tension, especially when you have a few apc's or tanks on guard wp's.

Hope this helps.

Cheers<span id='postcolor'>

Ok, I am still digesting and figuring out all that other stuff you said.

But as for the "seek and destroy" versus "gaurd" waypoints, I am curious.

You mean to tell me that gaurd waypoints will cause gaurds to chase after spotted enemy soldiers, and that seek and destroy waypoints will cause them to simply return to their patrol after the enemy has left sight?confused.gif?confused.gif

It would seem like it should be the opposite. Please tell me if maybe I just read wrong. This could be an important detail.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ Mar. 03 2003,02:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">2) A singular western unit will be running in a direction.   Other squads will be moving in a direction(or just standing static) that may cross paths with the first singular western unit.

If for example "squad A" encounters the singular unit, the squad A leader will "join and lead" the singular unit, and then they will all move to a specific location on the map called "Location A".  

If the singular unit, and "squad A" do NOT encounter eachother, the singular unit will continue to move on to "Location A". and "squad A" will move to another location, and then continue on to "Location A".

There are OTHER squads around.   If "squad B" encounters "singular western unit", the squad will take command of singular unit, and then proceed to "Location A" just as "squad A" would.

There will also be squad C and D.  All the same thing.

If any squad does enounter and "joins and leads" singular unit.  All other squads immediately change course or start moving on to "Location A".

If singular western unit makes it to "Location A" alone, all other squads will immediately start to move to "Location A" as soon as "singular western unit" gets to "Location A".

Is this possible?

What would I have to do?<span id='postcolor'>

For all squads (A,B,C,D) make plain "move" wps (no "join and lead" wps). If you don't use "cycle" wp then use as the last wp "hold position". Then make another "move" wp (so cycle or hold pos. will not be the last one) and place it in "Location A".

For singular(?) unit you need only one "move" wp in "Location A" and put into on activation line of this wp :

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">gotcha=true<span id='postcolor'>

Then make script :

_s is name of your singular unit (for example : _s=player)

grpA,grpB,grpC,grpD are names of groups(squads) A,B,C,D (you can have any number of squads - but you must have corect wps for all of them)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

_s = singularUnit

_groups=[grpA,grpB,grpC,grpD]

_i=count _groups

gotcha=false

#again

~0.2

_i=_i-1

_grp=_groups select _i

_ldr=leader _grp

?((_ldr knowsAbout _s)>=3) or (_s knowsAbout _ldr)>=3)) : goto "located"

?_i==0:_i=count _groups

?!(alive _s) or gotcha:exit

goto "again"

#located

_ldr=leader _grp

_ldr move position _s

~0.2

?!(alive _s) or gotcha:exit

?(_ldr distance _s)>15:goto "located"

[_s] join _ldr

gotcha=true

exit

<span id='postcolor'>

then make trigger :

axis 0,0; activated once by nobody; type - switch

condition :

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">gotcha<span id='postcolor'>

and synchronize it with all the last but one wps of all squads ("cycle" or "hold position" wps)

It should work. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ Mar. 03 2003,22:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif3--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (JAP @ Mar. 03 2003,11wow.gif3)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For the first problem.  Putting the patrolling soldiers "engage at will" will help a bit.  But most of the time patrolling soldiers who don t see the enemy themselfs will keep patrolling. Even patrolling soldiers who spot enemies often return to their patrol when they loose sight of the enemy.

Hope this helps.

You mean to tell me that gaurd waypoints will cause gaurds to chase after spotted enemy soldiers, and that seek and destroy waypoints will cause them to simply return to their patrol after the enemy has left sight?confused.gif?confused.gif

It would seem like it should be the opposite.   Please tell me if maybe I just read wrong.   This could be an important detail.<span id='postcolor'>

Ok, can someone give me an answer to this?

This still has me confused.

Ok Bart Jan, I'm gonna try yours.

Um, here goes nothing.

But before I do, a few questions/comments to be sure about.

The singular unit, and squads will all be western. Be careful because there are several Russian squads patrolling. I don't want him to join a Russian squad.

Also, "Location A" is the final destination for all the western units.

According to the way you described it, it didn't look like it would work out that way.

Lastly, Jeppelykle said above that I need to use a trigger that "repeats all the time".

What does that mean?

Also Bart Jan, where do I put both those "code samples" you put up?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ Mar. 03 2003,22:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif3--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (JAP @ Mar. 03 2003,11wow.gif3)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For the first problem.  Putting the patrolling soldiers "engage at will" will help a bit.  But most of the time patrolling soldiers who don t see the enemy themselfs will keep patrolling. Even patrolling soldiers who spot enemies often return to their patrol when they loose sight of the enemy.

Hope this helps.

It would seem like it should be the opposite.   Please tell me if maybe I just read wrong.   This could be an important detail.<span id='postcolor'>

Icefire,

I didn t mean search and destroy waypoint.

What i mean is that a soldier or vehicle with a guard waypoint will respond to a sighted enemy ( wherever on the map) and goto the point the enemy was spotted by a friendly unit. When it gets there, the unit that was on the guard waypoint will search the area as if it was a search & destroy wp.

When it finds nothing it will go back in his guard wp at that place and wait for another sighting of the enemy.

If you have multiple guard units it s very cool, you never know where you gonna encounter what. And untill they are destroyed they will keep coming back.

Cheers

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ Mar. 04 2003,03:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Also Bart Jan, where do I put both those "code samples" you put up?<span id='postcolor'>

Gotcha=true => on activation field of the waypoint he said

Gotcha => in the on condition field of the trigger he said.

-----------------------------------------------------------

To explain a bit more.

gotcha=true makes this variable active. So whenever gotcha is made active all triggers/waypoints that have "gotcha" as a condition will become active.

Cheers

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ Mar. 04 2003,03:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But before I do, a few questions/comments to be sure about.

The singular unit, and squads will all be western.   Be careful because there are several Russian squads patrolling.  I don't want him to join a Russian squad.<span id='postcolor'>

In script all grpA,grpB..D are western groups.

Script controls knowsabout between singular unit and leaders of A-D groups. If they meet (knowsAbout>=3) themselves then meeted sqad moves near to singular unit and then sing.unit joins them. After joining variable gotcha becames true. (It became true even if sing.unit reaches "Location A" alone).

gotcha activates trigger(type switch) and it switch all synchronized wps to last wps (synchronized with last but one)-> and these are in "Location A"

I presume all russian sqads are trying to kill sing. unit and not to capture it.

The last question is answered by JAP.

Thanks all.

This should help.

Will be back if I have any more questions.

Oh, and as for the "gaurd" waypoint;   How does that work?  I mean, within a radius of what distance will the respond to an enemy?

And can I have units running on patrol with a "gaurd" waypoints instead of "move" to get them to react to any sighted units in the area?

Also, one last question regarding the "gaurd" waypoint I promise.  Suppose, a units spots an enemy 100 yards away.  Would the gaurd actually "chase" following the enemy even all the way across the island?(assuming the enemy even managed to run that far without getting shot)

Maybe it would help if I described  in more detail what I'm trying to do as long as you promise not to tell people about my mission idea.

I'm doing a mission with an Escape and Evasion part.   A singular unit(player) will be deep in enemy territory(after ejecting from his plane after doing a recon flight), and will be trying to get out alive.

The enemy base knowing that you are somewhere there, has sent out many additional patrols and extra gaurd units around to try to catch and kill you before he escapes.

I want to simulate the unit trying to escape with many enemy forces on his tail(if you're not careful)

The player will have to be swift and careful.   Enemies are everywhere, and if you are out somewhere that looks isolated and even one or 2 enemies see you, you can expect MUCH more enemy reinforcements coming in to find you.   This is because the enemy unit that saw you probably reported in seeing an American as they engaged you.

Which would be a good reason for,  if you were compromised you would have to shoot fast, and get out of there fast.   Or you will have to kill them before they know you are there.

US headquarters recieved your distress call and last location before you bailed and have dispatched a SEAL team consisting of 4 groups of men out to find you and bring you back to the extraction point.

Before bailing out, you got a radio message telling you to try to get to a certain location in case they managed to get a rescue team in there.

You can try to make it to the extracion spot on your own, or you might run into the SEAL team as they come in looking for you.  

If you make it to the rescue zone alone(consisting of the extraction chopper with machinegunner codenamed blackwidow) they will radio to the SEAL team to get back, and that they have you.

So now you know.  

Also please noone steal my idea.

Thanks.   smile.gif

Ok, I just tested the "Gaurd" waypoint in the editor.

It works good.

Now all I need is a way to make patrolling units behave like this gaurd command.

So that when someone nearby fights an enemy, they go to join in or help.

Oh, and a way to do it so that they DONT return to their original GAURD waypoint when the threat is gone. They should stick to the area of the last seen enemy.

That's kindof an important detail.(If it's possible)

Ok, sorry about this last question.

But regarding your big "script".

How do I do it? I don't know how to make scripts. Where do I put it?

Put whole script code into text file. Name that file "way.sqs" and put it into your mission folder

OperationFlashpoint\Users\yourUserName\missionName\

Then, in mission editor, put :

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

[] exec "way.sqs"

<span id='postcolor'>

into init line of any unit.