Lone Penguin

Update Feedback 9.8.53

Hello, a quick (not very constructive) feedback on the latest update

Nice new features :

The platoon channel isn't permanent anymore and can be changed on a secondary radio canal. Thank you for this !

Red stop lights shine on the ground at night. Very cool.
Incremental shutters on BTR 70 (and new entering animation). Didn't think of that, quite useful. Hope we will have the periscopes thingy functional in Arma 4 so we can drive with shutters closed.

Obviously mines, and we can even mark them with little red flags. Love the analog style that the game design of Arma takes / is headed towards. No more little red dots on HUD like Arma 3. Everything happens in the environment.

Mixed feelings :

The new guns sounds. Especially the M16. I loved its gunshot sound before the update, it was crisp with a satisfying metallic noise, now it's kind of deep and muffled and doesn't sound as awesome. I'm sad because shooting with it isn't as nice anymore haha ^^ but obviously I can only talk for myself. Maybe it's because I'm not used to it yet and it feels weird, I don't know. (please old m16 sound 😥)

Would really like to know the opinion of others on this.

The sunlight. Don't really know what happened to it but something definitely happened. Cloudy weather doesn't have the super cool cloud shadows that were present before the update, and the bright sunlight doesn't feel as comfy and shiny. Before the update when the clouds were breaking the sun bathed Everon in a warm and cozy light that made all the environment pop a lot more, it was really pretty. Now I feel like it doesn't anymore ?

The game still crashes occasionally on multiplayer for me. I always click "Send" on the dialog box that pops up when it happens so I hope it will help you continue fix these bugs. 😃

Something not related but I hope the inventory UI will be revamped for Arma 4. A lot of items have the same thumbnails (like soviet carrier belts), so we have to check one by one what it is by hovering the mouse, a bit tedious. Having the name of the item next to the thumbnail like it Arma 3 would help identify it a lot quicker.
Because the thumbnails take different amount of space in the UI the inventory feels messy, but maybe that's just me. I probably prefer lists of items like in Arma 3.
Would be better to have to scroll through stuff in a box rather than typing A or E to go to next/previous page. Pages don't feel as natural as an infinite list. Hopefully we will have categories of items in tabs or something similar.
It's not really clear what type of magazine is compatible with a weapon (for example the 45 rounds AK mag is compatible with the regular AK, but we can't know before testing it).
Also inventory thumbnails take forever to load but it's probably something you are already aware of.

Hope we will get something like the virtual arsenal from Arma 3, that was awesome to test gear quickly and equip a soldier with a list of available stuff on the left of the screen (VR isn't really cold war so maybe adapt the design to fit the era)

That's all I think. Thank you for your work !

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shurilex said:

The sunlight. Don't really know what happened to it but something definitely happened. Cloudy weather doesn't have the super cool cloud shadows that were present before the update, and the bright sunlight doesn't feel as comfy and shiny. Before the update when the clouds were breaking the sun bathed Everon in a warm and cozy light that made all the environment pop a lot more, it was really pretty. Now I feel like it doesn't anymore ?

yea i dont know what they did with the the lighting effects with the existing patch. It just looks bland now. the last patch it looked nicer. 

• Thanks 1

Yes. I will sound a bit harsh but it honestly feels like a downgrade to me. Original environment lighting was so nice, and the first time I saw the cloud shadows after buying the game I was so stoked, never seen something like it in any other game. Also when the sun was low its light was giving an orange hue to the nature and the player's weapon, which was beautiful. It doesn't anymore.

To illustrate my point I tinkered a little bit more with game master today and took some screenshots to compare the two versions.

First before and after : https://imgur.com/a/4WFyOEr
Notice the pretty orange hue in the first.

Second before and after : https://imgur.com/a/eQdj67W
No more cloud shadows.

Third before and after https://imgur.com/a/gmJwyAh

Fourth before and after : https://imgur.com/a/VqE5H4r
No more bright warm sunlight.

Hope the new lighting system is not final and that Bohemia will continue on improving it, or revert back to the old one. Same for gun sounds.
The original lighting was chef kiss (at least for the sunlight) and really brought up the beauty of Everon. Those cloud shadows were awesome, like in real life when you look at the ground from an airplane.

Sad I am.

Edit : Maybe I was a bit quick to judge the new gun sounds/reverb. They seem to have more punch, the more I play the more i get used to them. The M16 still feels weird though.
Still hope to get the cloud shadows back. Sunny Everon looks great (apart from the new sunglasses/auto-exposure effect that prevents the shiny pretty light now) but cloudy weather make the textures super flat, and the sun doesn't shine between two passages of clouds like before.

Edited by Shurilex
  • Like 1

Vote Kicking still does not work.

Players can teamkill over and over. They are not auto-banned anymore. Please fix this for the love of god. This game is far too toxic and unplayable right now.