redarmy

New system for Arma3

Ok after years of running on an i7-4790 and squeezing every last morsel of fps (42 on YAAB) iv decided i will upgrade.

What do you suggest the best possible intel CPU is to run Arma3? iv always been cautious when upgrading as im not tech savy,i bought a PC to begin with for Arma3 in the first place. I have a few days off and will be considering options,have a shop thats able to procure the parts il need to match whatever CPU i decide on. I thought what better place to ask than in the Arma3 forums.

Also would it be worth keeping my 1060 6 GB GPU if i got a high end CPU?

Would appreciate the help guys,thanks.

2 hours ago, redarmy said:

What do you suggest the best possible intel CPU is to run Arma3?

Well, I guess the fastest you can afford, although they went a bit stupid with saturation and designations, be sure to get what you actually need. These new X3D chips from AMD might be worth thinking about too, since the 3D stacked cache is supposed to be beneficial for single core bottlenecks, which Arma 3 has generally been. Head on over to PC specs thread and see what guys say. Some have been running AMD for years as well and may know more.

2 hours ago, redarmy said:

Also would it be worth keeping my 1060 6 GB GPU if i got a high end CPU?

Probably. Unless you have some crazy graphics aspirations, for 1080-1440p gaming, you're good to go since single thread CPU performance is the main limitation. Besides, GPU prices are still crazy. You can buy the whole system for the price of a mid-high end GPU.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Janez said:

Well, I guess the fastest you can afford, although they went a bit stupid with saturation and designations, be sure to get what you actually need. These new X3D chips from AMD might be worth thinking about too, since the 3D stacked cache is supposed to be beneficial for single core bottlenecks, which Arma 3 has generally been. Head on over to PC specs thread and see what guys say. Some have been running AMD for years as well and may know more.

Probably. Unless you have some crazy graphics aspirations, for 1080-1440p gaming, you're good to go since single thread CPU performance is the main limitation. Besides, GPU prices are still crazy. You can buy the whole system for the price of a mid-high end GPU.

Thank you Janez il take a look.

Just wana leave these spec here and see if anyone has any opinions regarding a set up like this or experience on it:

CPU: I7-13700
GPU: 3060
PSU: ASUS TUF 650w
MOBO: ROGSTRIX B760-A GAMING WIFI D4
COOLER: DEEPCOOL AK620
RAM: DDR4 32 GB

Integrated graphics and Nvidia GeForce Now works great too. just $20/mo or whatever, no need for a rig.

1 hour ago, fn_Quiksilver said:

Integrated graphics and Nvidia GeForce Now works great too. just $20/mo or whatever, no need for a rig.

Your refering to the IGPU of the CPU? As in no need for a new GPU? If so i believe the i7-13700 iGPU is as about as powerful as a 770 if i read that correctly.

I considered the i7-13700 version with no iGPU honestly but decided against it i ever booted up system and main GPU had an issue.

3 hours ago, redarmy said:

Your refering to the IGPU of the CPU? As in no need for a new GPU?

I believe he's refering to NVidia's cloud streaming service. Personally, I avoid anything and everything remote and subscription based like the plague but there you have it nonetheless.

37 minutes ago, Janez said:

I believe he's refering to NVidia's cloud streaming service. Personally, I avoid anything and everything remote and subscription based like the plague but there you have it nonetheless.

Gotchya. yeah im in the same boat.

refering to what you said earlier about buying a whole system for the price of a high end card,i now see what you mean,its nuts. spent the whole day looking at parts,i wana get a GPU just to be thorough in the upgrade and "future proof" things a little. 90% sure now im going for these parts:

GPU: 3060
PSU: ASUS TUF 650w
RAM: DDR4 32 GB

I do hope Arma4 will be as good as 3, and if so il get it once all the DLC and updates have trickled in 5 years or so after release,im assuming the specs above should be able to handle that new enfusion engine with some degree of capability,at least better than what i entered Arma3 Alpha with lol

Hi !

The basic rule with Arma3 is that performance is directly related to the efficiency and frequency of operation of the processor on a core or two.

Here and now, in my opinion the best candidate for the job on the Intel side is the i5-13600K for an obvious reason, it's 5.10 GHz Turbo Max !

We know nothing about Arma4 hardware requirements, but looking at what's going on with Reforger, it is possible to think that alongside a high-performance processor, a high-level graphics card will be needed.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pierremgi said:

Of course, don't forget to install Arma on a SSD, not a HDD.

Thanks man. Yeah iv had Arma3 and my OS on my SSD for a while now,huge difference. I literally never stuttered since.

So iv decided on all the parts,its great to have a ten year community here and reddit/steam etc. Have had plenty of feedback before taking the plunge. My last and only concern now should be the PC's case i go with,considering all i need to decide on that is looks and airflow and size,its pretty stress free window shopping. 

I literally havent upgraded anything in years,its crazy to see how far things have come regarding PC hardware,feel like its my first time to get a PC again and im booting up Battlefield 3 to get the PC experience rite after console.

1 hour ago, redarmy said:

its crazy to see how far things have come regarding PC hardware

Not all for the better though. This whole RGB, "gaming", "<enter_buzzword" made manufacturers go stupid again. Not only in PC space but cars, appliances and whatever else. Everything is way too bloated with crap that you need that you're supposed to pay extra for, often at the expense of quality.

Anyway, in regards to cases. Opposed to what designers seem to think, people actually use their computers in real life and often in their living spaces, therefore things like dust are a major factor. These days, a lot of cases have exhaust vents on top, which might seems like a good idea - hot air goes up, right? Well, shit ton of dust is accumulating on top as well, which is then blown all over the place.

Some cases have intakes on bottom... well, PC case is not floating in mid air, it's generally sitting on top of something that accumulates dust. There are some things called dust filter but I wouldn't rely on that too much. Even if it does it's job, it needs to be regularly cleaned or even changed, which in turn just produces more trash for hardly any benefit.

Of course, everything depends on your surroundings and whatnot but generally, front/back intake/exhaust setup is likely optimal and make sure your PC is not on the ground. Have it at least half a meter off the ground and possibly not right next to your face. If you can get the distance to at least 1,5-2m, you'll be doing yourself a huge service on the long run.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Janez said:

Not all for the better though. This whole RGB, "gaming", "<enter_buzzword" made manufacturers go stupid again. Not only in PC space but cars, appliances and whatever else. Everything is way too bloated with crap that you need that you're supposed to pay extra for, often at the expense of quality.

👍

49 minutes ago, Janez said:

Anyway, in regards to cases. Opposed to what designers seem to think, people actually use their computers in real life and often in their living spaces, therefore things like dust are a major factor. These days, a lot of cases have exhaust vents on top, which might seems like a good idea - hot air goes up, right? Well, shit ton of dust is accumulating on top as well, which is then blown all over the place.

Some cases have intakes on bottom... well, PC case is not floating in mid air, it's generally sitting on top of something that accumulates dust. There are some things called dust filter but I wouldn't rely on that too much. Even if it does it's job, it needs to be regularly cleaned or even changed, which in turn just produces more trash for hardly any benefit.

Of course, everything depends on your surroundings and whatnot but generally, front/back intake/exhaust setup is likely optimal and make sure your PC is not on the ground. Have it at least half a meter off the ground and possibly not right next to your face. If you can get the distance to at least 1,5-2m, you'll be doing yourself a huge service on the long run.

Yeah agreed. i feel the same way about having to upgrade to WIN10(WHole reason i decided to upgrade PC) and the fact that theres so much crap on there i feel pissed after stripping my win7 down to soley run Arma3 for the past 10 years and get as much power out of my 4790 that was possible. (Again,il say i was damn proud after getting 42 on YAAB after a year of optimising and initially that year having only 32 fps)

Now making the switch i dread of all the tweaks and learning i have to do on that new system,and the inevitable driver issue,setting/password/data loss etc.

My only way to ease the pain of leaving win7( again had to since i opened steam and saw a BG RED WARNING ABOUT WIN 7 LOOSING COMPATIBILITY IN 2XX DAYS) was to decide to take the opportunity to upgrade to a monster rig in comparison to my current one.

JUST A QUICK UPDATE

Thanks all who had discusson with me about this. I finally bit the bullet,bought the new rig,and after a PAINFUL 2 installs of windows 10 and many,many issues resulting in a partition issue with my SSD and needing to entirely delete my SSD including steam,my Arma3 profile,created missions and so many(7 years worth of) other things,the pain was worth it....

GPU: 3060ti
PSU: ASUS TUF 750w
RAM: DDR4 32 GB (3200mhz)

Fresh win10 install

Oh my...i had tears in my eyes JUST looking at YAAB running and seeing the immense difference. Going from 40fps on a 4790 to 75 fps on this new rig...iv no words. Im so happy.

I have yet to optimise in 10 and honestly any ideas would be welcome. I also did not yet disable something i just heard is bad for performance (E-cores),should i? I feel compared to what others have told me,that my FPS (75) is actually pretty low for the specs. And while im happy as 60 is my target 1080p,id still like to optimise.

Any further advice would be great,im new with these specs and win10. still researching so would love some input.

Thanks again guys

EDIT: Things i did:

Disabled Xbox game bar and all related stuff.

Updated drivers

tweaked nvidia settings

Put win10 in high performance mode

max temps cpu was 71 in yaab and around 74 for the GPU

• Like 2

Heh, good on you, enjoy!

Well, when it comes to Windows 10 tweaks and de-bloating, after eight years, to this day I find new things to do. I'm probably gonna miss a bunch but for orientation, here are few things to start with. Links below are to mostly open source projects on GitHub. Generally, you can see the address in bottom-left corner of your web browser.

This is what I came up with at the moment, I also made some threads a while ago if you wonna go through those and see if there is anything useful as well.

1 hour ago, redarmy said:

And while im happy as 60 is my target 1080p,id still like to optimise.

Günter made a useful post some time ago, I think is the one.

woah thanks mate. Thats alota stuff,perfect to keep me busy sunday. Much appreciated