Forestpat

Imparing AI's ability to find a unit by gunshots

Hello folks!

I've been messing around in scenarios with the dynamic_camo script by The Real Bunc

This is the script's original topic: 

It is an extraordinary script (now a mod available on steam). It makes stealth an actual viable style of gameplay by making the player harder to spot without completely impairing the AI's ability to fight back.

Now with this mod, I wonder if there is also a possibility for a script to exist that will disrupt the AI's ability to find the source when a shot has been fired (for example, with a silenced weapon and/or by a unit with low camouflage coef.

The reason I created this post is that I just couldn't quite grasp the way AI's fight back when danger is detected. For example, with the dynamic camo script (or mod), I can very well hide from the hostiles. But as soon as I fire one bullet, even with the silencer on and my camouflage coef. lower than 0.1 in the pitch black of night, I would still get instantly lit up with the AI's landing every single shot.

Now, I've tested this mod with a script on this forum posted somewhat long ago

Link: 

It showed clearly that the camouflage coef. doesn't affect the AI's ability to find the source of bullets fired near them. This would make sense until I skipped to nighttime, where I tested with my camo coef set to a very low value and a weapon with a silencer attached. As expected, I got lit up once again. While testing extensively, I noticed one thing: no matter how well camouflaged you are, or how quiet your weapon is, the AI will find and ping your exact location as soon as you shoot (the AI's light turns from yellow to red immediately, instead of green, which means that it knows my exact location instead of the approximate direction of fire).

So, my question is, is there a way to replace the AI's knowledge of my coordinate when I shoot with the general direction that the bullet came from?

Perhaps, something like this could help, for an enemy here, in its init field for test:

this addEventHandler ["FiredNear", {

params ["_unit", "_firer", "_distance", "_weapon", "_muzzle", "_mode", "_ammo", "_gunner"];

if (_firer <have dynamic camo> ) then { _unit forgetTarget _firer };

}];

Not tested and must be adapted, of course.