thy_

[SOLVED] findNearestEnemy command looks NOT okay (for me, a noob)

Am I misunderstanding some or findNearestEnemy is like isTouchingGround (more) that also doesn't work well?

Btw, I got the feeling that "Example 2" of findNearestEnemy is wrong inside the wiki.

// Wiki / Example 2:
_myNearestEnemy = player findNearestEnemy player;  //????

// This wiki page was last edited on 7 September 2022, at 12:43.

Define "doesn't work well."

The second example is finding the the enemy of the player that is closest to the player's's position.

Syntax:    object findNearestEnemy position

47 minutes ago, pierremgi said:

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T122914

Probably didn't disturb anyone, and certainly no dev. Create your own function.

Not good enough but functional that is going well so far, because the result is not just "the nearest" but "someone probably the nearest".

THY_fnc_CSWR_OCCUPY_nearEnemies = {
	// This function searches for enemies around a specific unit.
	// Returns _isEnemyClose: bool.

params ["_unit", "_range"];
	private ["_isEnemyClose", "_nearUnits", "_nearEnemies"];

// Initial values:
	_isEnemyClose = false;
	// Searching:
	_nearUnits = _unit nearEntities ["CAManBase", _range];
	_nearEnemies = _nearUnits select { (side _unit != side _x) AND (alive _x) AND ((incapacitatedState _x) != "UNCONSCIOUS") };
	if ( (count _nearEnemies) > 0 ) then { _isEnemyClose = true };
	// Return:
	_isEnemyClose;
};

Edited by thy_
pierremgi, thanks!
  • Like 1

Use "CAManBase" instead of "man". I'm afraid "man" returns (civilian) rabbits (and snakes,and...) in Armarvelous world. 😊

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, pierremgi said:

Use "CAManBase" instead of "man". I'm afraid "man" returns (civilian) rabbits (and snakes,and...) in Armarvelous world. 😊

Oh, thanks for that! 😄

1 hour ago, Harzach said:

Define "doesn't work well." The second example is finding the the enemy of the player that is closest to the player's's position.

Ma man, from this wiki page isolated, I excepted "for dummies" (me) explanation because the syntax is...

_object findNearestEnemy [x, y] or [x, y, z];

... but Example 2 shows up _object command _object. In my noob mind, somethin' was not so clear. Trust me, I tried hard (hehe) to use the command as simple as it seemed to be and I just gave up and created the function above. In the end we will survive 🙂

@thy_   an enemy is not an entity with a different side than the player. That depends for relationship between the sides.
you can use bis_fnc_enemySides (be careful it's an array of sides)
or diy:
... select { side _unit getFriend side _x <0.6 &&  lifeState _x in ["HEALTHY","INJURED"] };

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thy_ said:

the syntax is

Syntax:    object findNearestEnemy position

Parameters:    object: Object

position: Object or Array in format PositionAGL or Position2D

Looking at your function, I think you might have missed this detail of findNearestEnemy:

This command will return nearest object that is known to the unit and is considered enemy.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Harzach said:

Looking at your function, I think you might have missed this detail of findNearestEnemy:

Morning, pal. (9am). I didn't miss it. The CSWR_OCCUPY_nearEnemies returns a bool that the goal is to tell another function the AI teleport must be ignored—no need to check if AI knows the enemy/enemy position.