Sign in to follow this  
Stylez

System reboots with catalysts newer than 2.5

I've been noticing a few of the previous posters are having problems running OpFlash on the most current (3.1) Catalyst drivers. I have tested both the 3.0's and the 3.1's and whenever entering the game my system suddenly reboots itself. (Typical response in Windows XP instead of a Blue Screen of Death). The only advice I can give right now regarding the freezing is to revert back to the Catalyst 2.5 drivers. I don't seem to have a problem with them.

Here are my specs:

AMD Duron 1.3

Asus A7Pro MB

512mb SDRAM

ATI RADEON 9000 pro 128mb

SB audigy

You can be sure I am up-to-date on all my other drivers. This problem has me stumped.

Okay, a couple of things.  Go into Control Panel - > System -> Advanced -> Startup and Recover and turn off the automatic restart when a Blue Screen occurrs -- that way you can see what is causing the crash.

Now, let me tell you I spent three weeks trying to resolve a similar problem.  Do this test.  Go to Device Manager and disable all the Creative Sound devices (Sound, video, and game controllers).  They try to play the game and see what happens.  I had a Soundblaster Live! card in Windows XP and the only way I was able to get around this problem was to get a new sound card.  I ended up with a Hercules Gamesurround Fortissimo III 7.1 and haven't had the problem since.  If you check out my post below regarding rebooting and OFP ( http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=26980 ) you can see all the things I tried.  There is definitely some issue on my computer with Soundblaster and XP.  It could possibly be the same with the Audigy drivers.  Anyway, give it a shot and let me know how it turns out.

Dadster

Ok... The error I'm getting has to do with the ATI2DVAG.dll

I'm going to see if there's been any trouble by anyone else with that file. I'm also going to try disabling all creative devices (as you said). Although it seems it is a video issue...

I just tried disabling all my creative stuff, and it still didn't help at all.

I did however write down the rest of the error I'm getting:

Ati2dvag.dll - Address bf9ca1a1 base at BF99E00 Datestamp 3e2cc23e

Not very helpful, is it?

I guess I'll just go back to the 2.5 Catalysts for now. I can't find a way around this mess.

What PSU do you have? I just did a search for that filename on the Radeon support forums and the first post I found said they had the same problem because their system was underpowered smile.gif

It could be my power supply, as it is only a 250w, but I think that's stretching it as Operation Flashpoint is the only game I have trouble running on the 3.1s. And it never crashes with the 2.5s, in fact, it's rock stable.

Well 250W is pretty lightweight really, but as you said it worked stably with 2.5s, have you tried the Omega drivers?

Taken from the readme.........

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OMEGADRIVE here!

This are my "optimized" drivers for the ATI Radeon family

of video cards, this version (Omega 2.3.92) is for

Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

Special note:

THIS DRIVERS ARE MADE FOR GAMES, NOT BENCHMARKS!!!

THEY FIX GRAPHICAL ERRORS, STABILITY PROBLEMS

AND SOME SPEED ISSUES ONLY IN GAMES.

THEY ADD VISUAL QUALITY, STABILITY AND MORE OPTIONS.

IF YOU WANT DRIVERS FOR BENCHMARKS DOWNLOAD ATI'S

ORIGINAL DRIVERS INSTEAD FOR 3DMARK2K1 AND OTHER

BENCHMARKS.

New (Omega 2.3.92)

* Based on the official 6292 ATI drivers (Catalyst 3.1)

* Added support for the following chipsets:

Radeon 9100 (old Radeon 8500)

Radeon 9500 Pro

Radeon IGP 340M

Radeon IGP 345M

* Re-added 720x480 (NTSC) and 720x576 (PAL) resolutions, some users need

this for proper video editing.

* The SMARTGART control panel is FINALLY GONE in this release. I manually

disabled it this time, so it should not appear, even if upgrading from

a driver set that has it enabled.

<span id='postcolor'>

I saw the Omega drivers in a previous forum post, so I gave them a shot. Still the same problem. I'm thinking Direct X 9 may have something to do with it...

Your motherboard has a VIA chipset, which is known to have alot of problems. See if there are any patches or info about crashes with this motherboard. You should also check over your BIOS and other system settings. Turn off things like "fast writes" and any other optional performance settings and see if the crashes go away, then turn them back on one at a time to see what's causing it.

Stylez id definitely go buy a bigger psu a 250w effort is no were even near upto powering a power hungry duron and a modern Radeon, remeber things like all your ide devices need more power the faster they get as well. I had the ofp just reboots pooter mid game affliction with a 300w psu, it hasnt done it since i bought my 435w over a year ago.

Can some put a sticky in troubleshooting faq's on minimum psu for modern systems, say around 400w?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (mrlogik @ Feb. 28 2003,13:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Can some put a sticky in troubleshooting faq's on minimum psu for modern systems, say around 400w?<span id='postcolor'>

Problem with that is that for some systems 250W is more than adequate, it all depends on what hardware a person has installed as to what the minimum PSU they can get away with is smile.gif

I know I need a new power supply, I've been wanting to get one for the past couple of months... Problem is I'm seriously in debt right now, so I'm just trying to keep my machine "walking a tightrope" as far as I can before it falls...

Hmm I know how that goes confused.gif

Any spare hardware you could remove? Spare CD-Rom or HD or something? Only other option is to go back to the 2.5's but that would bring back crappy flashing textures right?

Im not looking for an argument placebo, but how many peeps here run resistance on real old hardware? 300w is a bare minimum nowadays with p4 and win xp chips, besides if he's running a new radeon on an old pooter, the power consumption from the radeon alone would be enough to overuse all voltage supplied for agp port.Actuall lets keep it realistic, who does have the oldest hardware running res? My second sys is a duron 750/128 ram/vd3 2000,anyone got a lower spec?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (mrlogik @ Mar. 02 2003,13:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Im not looking for an argument placebo, but how many peeps here run resistance on real old hardware?<span id='postcolor'>

If you read the thread you'll see Stylez is agreeing with us that he needs a new PSU, he's not said otherwise, he doesn't have the cash for one at the moment thus my suggestion about removing spare hardware smile.gif

Yes you can get a fair PSU for around $20 or so but there have been a number of times in my life where that is the difference between eating that week or not smile.gif

Edit: Actually I've just remembered something, a while back I had a Hercules 3d Prophet based on the Kyro2 chipset, a driver version of that resulted in Opf rebooting all the time, previous drivers didn't but they had glitches and stuff, my PSU was also low, around 250W or so, couldn't afford to upgrade it at the time but fortunately PowerVR finally released some new drivers which stopped the rebooting until I was able to afford an upgrade smile.gif

Actually here's the really bizarre thing. I don't have any flashing textures. In fact, Flashpoint has never run better than with the 2.5s for me. Once I upgraded to DX9 the flashies seemed to disappear. The problem lies within smoke effects in other games. The 2.5s seem to drop my framerate significantly, but since I play Flashpoint more than any other game, I'd rather keep the 2.5s and put up with low framerates in other games smile.gif

Smoking's bad for you anyway wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Mar. 02 2003,17:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yes you can get a fair PSU for around $20 or so but there have been a number of times in my life where that is the difference between eating that week or not smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Damn, the gaming industry doesn't pay much does it?   wow.gif

Dadster

I had a problem where I would get blue screens when I tried to change the Direct3d settings for my 9700 Pro. I had to uninstall the Catalyst v3.1 drivers. Reinstall DirectX9 and then reinstall Catalyst v3.1. Afterwards , I was fine. I have the following:

P4 2.0 GHz

1GB RAM

ATI 9700 PRO

Windows XP

(Latest Drivers)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dadster @ Mar. 03 2003,01:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Damn, the gaming industry doesn't pay much does it?   wow.gif

Dadster<span id='postcolor'>

If I'm ever employed in the gaming industry I'll be sure to let you know how much it pays smile.gif

Talk about coincidence, my fan stops working in my 435w last night, major overheat ofp locked solid a couple of times before i realised what it was. So guess who's had to slip in a 250w psu for the time being,il let you know how it goes with a 1700xp/512/gf2gts/dvd/cdr/ etc etc

welcome to the under-powered family!

Sheesh, a group of people just as crazy as Pontiac Fiero owners!

Well, this thread's been dead for a while, but I figured I'd just revive it to tell you all I'm running a brand-spankin' new 400w Power supply... and still have the same problems.

I'm gonna go back to the 2.5s I guess, at least until I can sort this out. I've had nothing but problems with my PC recently...

Bugger sad.gif

You have the latest bios and mobo chipset drivers?

Latest of all my drivers, on a fresh format and DX 9.1

Not only is it occuring with my install, it happens with my Girlfriend's as well. She is running on a Radeon 9700pro with 3.2s

So now she has her 9700 back down to Cat 2.5s like mine. Such a strange problem.