Sign in to follow this  
-CCCP-Stalker

East cargo planes

is that dude ever gonna fix the AN124? im tired of flyin with the gear down

No, no Stalker! Why making old hardware when new and (obviously) better is ready and will enter service in the very near future!?

I'm talking about the Antonov An-70 turbopropeller cargo plane. I think someone already mentioned it. Anyway, you said you need something, that would transport 1-2 BMDs? Well, here it is - the An-70 can - according to my Cargo planes handbook - transport 2 BMD-3s with their respecting crews.

Characteristics (from the book):

Propulsion: 4 x Ivchenko Progress D-27 turbopropeller engines

Dimensions:

-wingspan: 44,06 m

-lenght: 40,20 m

-height: 16,10 m

Cargo space(l/w/h):

19,1 m x 4 m x 4,1 m

MAX cargo weight: 47.000 kg

MAX speed: 750 km/h

Russia ordered 165 of this babys back in 1999. Ukraine followed in 2000 with a total of 65 ordered aircrafts!

The bird in all its beauty:

an-70-2.jpg

FAS page:

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/row/an-70.htm

An-70@Venik's aviation page:

http://www.aeronautics.ru/archive/vvs/an70-01.htm

So...I vote for the An-70 biggrin.gif

FlipeR

Sort of C-130J like, atleast the looks of it smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FlipeR @ Mar. 01 2003,23:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No, no Stalker! Why making old hardware when new and (obviously) better is ready and will enter service in the very near future!?

I'm talking about the Antonov An-70 turbopropeller cargo plane. I think someone already mentioned it. Anyway, you said you need something, that would transport 1-2 BMDs? Well, here it is - the An-70 can - according to my Cargo planes handbook - transport 2 BMD-3s with their respecting crews.

Characteristics (from the book):

Propulsion: 4 x Ivchenko Progress D-27 turbopropeller engines

Dimensions:

-wingspan: 44,06 m

-lenght:     40,20 m

-height:     16,10 m

Cargo space(l/w/h):

19,1 m x 4 m x 4,1 m

MAX cargo weight: 47.000 kg

MAX speed: 750 km/h

Russia ordered 165 of this babys back in 1999. Ukraine followed in 2000 with a total of 65 ordered aircrafts!

The bird in all its beauty:

an-70-2.jpg

FAS page:

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/row/an-70.htm

An-70@Venik's aviation page:

http://www.aeronautics.ru/archive/vvs/an70-01.htm

So...I vote for the An-70 biggrin.gif

FlipeR<span id='postcolor'>

Hmm. I think you're right. An70 and An2 (for small groups).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">No, no Stalker! Why making old hardware when new and (obviously) better is ready and will enter service in the very near future!?<span id='postcolor'>

I would like to see some of those older planes. Newer planes like An-70 would look strange when making, lets say Afganistan missions. And right now we have to stick to soldiers from mid eighties. So putting them into mission with a moder transport plane which is probably not even in service yet (we all know how funding in Russia goes today) won't just feel right...

On this cutaway pic of the An70 you can see that he is capable of transporting up to 3 APCs (in this case BMP-1s)!

AN70-124.jpg

An2 for smaller groups you say? Hmmm confused.gif Well OK, the An2 is a legendary aircraft but its birth is dating back into the '50 of the previous century. I like the plane as I have already flown with the one of our local parachuting club, but I think you should again consider making a younger light-transport, general utility plane like the An-24/26/32 family or the even newer An72/74 - the last beeing more apropriate because of the jet engines! Think about it wink.gif

Anyway you decide I will enyoj flying them all tounge.gif

FlipeR

crazy.gif Fliper didn't you see that I already posted like a page long post about the AN-70??!

Yeah sorry man, I saw your post only after I added mine... Hey and I said "I think someone had mentioned it(the An-70) before..." wink.gif

FlipeR

Looking great  smile_o.gif  

Although I'd still like to see an AN-2 Colt and an AN-12 Cub made  smile_o.gif

@Fliper : the C-130 was flying in the '50s too and the AN-2 dates from before the '50s wink_o.gif

I would vote for the An-72

Its an unusual plane, its not to big, looks cool and is modern.

I would vote for the An-72

Its an unusual plane, its not to big, looks cool and is modern.

Yeah that'd be a good aircraft to have.

Hehe...There's a variant of it that can be armed with rocket pods and bombs too biggrin_o.gif But nevermind that, I just want a decent Russian transport aircraft (preferably AN-12 wink_o.gif )