Col.Williams

Best hardware for Arma 3 server with mods and 40+ players

Hello I used to run an arma 3 community and I am in the process of rebuilding my server rack. I used to run a kaby lake i5 processor with 16gb of DDR4 3000mhz ram for our old server in the same conditions. I have heard that arma 3 does not use multithreading so that feature would be useless?  do older processors work well? If I used my Hyve Zeus with 64GB of DDR3 Ram and two Intel Xeon E5-2695  (12 cores each per processor) would that work beautifully or am I better off running a server with the newest raptor lake processor the i9 13900K ?

I want a beefy server that can handle a lot of mods. Let me know your recommendations, Thank you! 

Well, obviously the newer 13900k CPU would run faster, but I suggest you just give it a try with what you have. Get it up and running, monitor performance and only then (if it doesn't work well) spend some cash on an upgrade.

Whilst ARMA does rely heavily on a single core, it is actually partially multi-threaded (some things are offloaded to different cores). I think the recommendation is you give it 4 cores.

• Thanks 1

On 1/2/2023 at 5:41 AM, Hostilian said:

Well, obviously the newer 13900k CPU would run faster, but I suggest you just give it a try with what you have. Get it up and running, monitor performance and only then (if it doesn't work well) spend some cash on an upgrade.

Whilst ARMA does rely heavily on a single core, it is actually partially multi-threaded (some things are offloaded to different cores). I think the recommendation is you give it 4 cores.

Yeah I'm going to run through some specific testing here soon and see what can be accomplished. I'm going to run two servers and compare DDR3 old stuff to new DDR5 stuff and I'll stat a new thread for that.