Sign in to follow this  
Greg

Getting real tired of aiming problems.

Before getting a logitech mouse, OFP's aiming was okay.  It's responsiveness was fairly simulated. Eg go prone and use sights was slow to turn, but precise to aim etc.

But now I can't aim precisely at all.  I move mouse very slowly and it does nothing, then suddenly jumps about 5 pixels, right over the target.  (Smoothly jumps 5 pixels or so.)

Yes, already played with Accleration and put it back to default.

Yes, checked for mouse lag, game is responsive, Frame rate is high, pre-render no more than 1 frame etc.

Yes, read FAQ thanks Avon.

Also tried mouse in PS2 port, tried different video drivers, tried running game at 640x480x16, tried forcing on vsync.

Fact is the game is so annoying to play in both single and multiplayer, I don't want to play it... but I do.

No other games are affected, in fact logitech mouse is very smooth in other games like Unreal and windows apps.

I can only think this is related to Logitech mouse, or newer OFP:R versions. (not sure if I tried an old one.)

Any new ideas?

WindowsXP

Athlon 2100XP

Geforce3ti200

CMedia sound

Logitech MX700 mouse

512mb

OFP:R

Did you try:

1. Windows default mouse drivers, instead of Logitech's?

2. Checking Logitech support for updated drivers?

did you check the Mouse Sencitivity in the Options menual under controle, if you move it more to the left side it becomes more smoother, more to the right it tends to be more jumpy i would move the Y value and the X value to the same spot

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LBGS_Stewart @ Feb. 26 2003,19:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">did you check the Mouse Sencitivity in the Options menual under controle<span id='postcolor'>

I think that's what he meant by:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yes, already played with Accleration and put it back to default<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Feb. 26 2003,17:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">1. Windows default mouse drivers, instead of Logitech's?<span id='postcolor'>

I'm sure that will solve it - basically the Logitech drivers suck and all devices are directly supported by the OS anyways. Don't see why anyone would use them!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (joltan @ Feb. 26 2003,18:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif8--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Feb. 26 2003,17wow.gif8)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">1. Windows default mouse drivers, instead of Logitech's?<span id='postcolor'>

I'm sure that will solve it - basically the Logitech drivers suck and all devices are directly supported by the OS anyways. Don't see why anyone would use them!<span id='postcolor'>

Tried that when I first got the mouse, and a week ago while mulling about bothering to post since at least one other person had a similar unresolved problem. Didn't seem to make any difference, yet I played the whole OFP, OFP:R and a load of user missions with no aiming problems in the past. Hey, I'm a paranoid tester, so I might plug in another mouse sometime and see how that goes.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (joltan @ Feb. 26 2003,19:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Don't see why anyone would use them!<span id='postcolor'>

I use them to get the iFeel effects working. smile.gif

I wonder if I'm the only person in the world who has no problems with Logitech's mouse drivers. confused.gif

Sounds like a form of mouse filtering is on. Mouse filtering averages the inputs of the mouse over 2/3 frames so that moving the mouse is smoother, however it's no good for accuracy. Trying to move the mouse small increments will result in any movement at all being cancelled out by the filtering, or only occasional movement being 'detected'.

I don't see how it would be enabled/disabled simply by changing the mouse, and an MX700 isn't exactly the kind of optical mouse that you could blame it on confused.gif ...so...just a thought.

yep, thats exactly what its like, some kind of smoothing or acceleration. If I move the mouse slowly, it does nothing, a bit more and it jerks around. The problem is only in OFP, I play other games and use apps with no problems at all. I still havn't tried another mouse, or even touched OFP since I got real frustrated after a MP game where I couldn't shoot jack.

Do you have "Pointer Shadow" or "Display Pointer Trail" enabled under Windows CONTROL PANEL\MOUSE? If so, try disabling them.

Similarly, see if you have a pointer enhancement option there and test both enabling and disabling it to see if either setting improves your use of the mouse with OFP.

this is strange, cos i also get this what seems to be "mouse lag", only mine isnt logitec, but M$ Inteli Optical. it runs fine in any other application, game and OS but just OFP it seems slow, ive tried both default and new drivers too

...just to throw a spanner in the works confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Acidcrash @ Mar. 06 2003,17:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">this is strange, cos i also get this what seems to be "mouse lag", only mine isnt logitec, but M$ Inteli Optical. it runs fine in any other application, game and OS but just OFP it seems slow, ive tried both default and new drivers too<span id='postcolor'>

Did you search The FAQ for "input delay"? confused.gif

ok i think i worded that badly, its not a delay, but the mouse movements are slow, like i can nudge the mouse in windows and it goes from one side of the screen to the other, but in OFP i have to move it from one side of the mat to the other several times depending on how much i wish to turn

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Acidcrash @ Mar. 06 2003,17:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ok i think i worded that badly, its not a delay, but the mouse movements are slow, like i can nudge the mouse in windows and it goes from one side of the screen to the other, but in OFP i have to move it from one side of the mat to the other several times depending on how much i wish to turn<span id='postcolor'>

Still, did you look into that FAQ item and the CONTROL PANEL settings I mentioned?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 06 2003,16:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Still, did you look into that FAQ item and the CONTROL PANEL settings I mentioned?<span id='postcolor'>

Yep, still no solution.

I'm back after doing over 1/2 hour of testing.

I tested with these mice:

Logitech MX700 (cordless optical, PS2 & USB)

MS Intellimouse (corded optical, PS2 & USB)

Mouse Clicker M01 ($2.50 ball mouse, PS2)

I tested the them in PS2 and USB as supported.

I also ran the game with the windows mouse cursor on and off to observe the effect of the windows cursor.

Note that the windows cursor applies filtering, speed and acceleration to the mouse values. OFP uses DirectInput and applies its own process on the raw mouse data (returned in Mickeys).

I plugged up to 2 mice into the computer at the same time so I could test them directly against eachother.

I tried 3 different mouse surfaces, a cloth mouse mat, a wood grain table and a white piece of paper. The cloth mat was best all round, the table was poor with MX700, the white paper was good, but mice didn't slide on it.

I also move the MX700 receiver close to the mouse which improved the smoothness slightly (i belive it was a noticeable improvement, but didn't solve OFP problems.)

Here are the results:

Logitech MX700:

Mouse movement in OFP was jerky and inprecise. The windows cursor was smoother, but still exhibited minor jerks. It was as if the game amplified any movement anomalies. Even though the windows cursor had low speed and medium low acceleration, the OFP cursor had relatively massive acceleration. Outside OFP, in windows, and in Unreal Tournament 2003, this mouse performed much better, but was still not 100% smooth. Behaviour with USB and PS2 were identical. (Note that when I had 2 mice plugged in at the same time, I could switch back and forth between them and the difference was amazing. The other 2 mice moved more slowly and precisely and were consistent. Hot switching both mice between USB and PS2 did not change the behaviour significantly).

MS Intellimouse:

Mouse movement in OFP was consistently smooth. The windows cursor was equally smooth, and as usual the game applied significant speed and acceleration to the cursor relative to windows use. In UT2003 and windows, the mouse was very smooth, but perhaps still not 100% smooth. (Wonders what 100% smooth is anyway). Behaviour with USB and PS2 were identical.

Mouse Clicker mouse:

Mouse movement in OFP was consistently smooth, in fact this is probably the smoothest of the 3 mice. Same relation between windows and OFP cursor as described earlier. UT2003 and windows were smooth. This mouse seemed to have different speed and acceleration characteristics possibly because it used a differnent windows driver to function.

Conclusion:

I am yet to reach a conclusion on what is up with the MX700. The mouse itself appears to have some issues and OFP seems to magnify those issues greatly. I completely uninstalled the logitech drivers and used MS USB and MS PS2 drivers, that didnt help anything. I also confirmed that the windows mouse configuration options have no effect at all in games as expected.

On a side note, it appears a US$2 mouse gives a US$100 mouse a good run for its money.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Greg @ Feb. 26 2003,11:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yes, already played with Accleration and put it back to default.<span id='postcolor'>

You mean this one?

accel.jpg

No, I didn't mean that one Placebo, but I tried that last night, and after restarting it made no difference. Certainly keep those suggestions coming though.

Baaah was hoping that would be it, supposedly fixes mouse acceleration problems sad.gif

i remember exactly the same problem in another game, in quake 3, when upgraded to 1.30... balancing the windows acccel/speed versus the game accel/speed solved the problem.

i had to fiddle with all the funky features, perhaps just try and error... tried turning off write combining? just a guess; with q3, i had quite a hard time to restore my original settings.

I have been able to reduce the effect by playing with the accel and speeds in windows and games, but the issue still remains: Try to make very small (eg. 1 pixel) accurate moves with the cursor/crosshair.

Can anyone else with a MX700 try some cursor moves in the game and windows and tell me how they go? In windows for example, open 'Paint' and try moving the cursor just 1 pixel left & right, then up & down. In the game, find a distant target (preferably an enemy head) and try to line it up a few times, quickly, without having to wave the crosshair over it trying to stop on it.

I've got the same problem... it just looks like the pointer is snapping to a grid.

You can indeed change the spacing, but not less than about 5-6 pixels... very annoying!

(Using a Logitech Cordless Wheel Mouse with standard Microsoft Windows 2000 mousedriver)

Problem solved! By the new 9.76 driver which has the new option 'Disable acceleration in games' (default on). smile.gif

However, the extra mouse buttons still don't work in games. sad.gif