Hello everyone,

Back in 2020, ArmaModFrance presented a new custom unit: The German Shepherd. Years have passed and the dog was never finished. Missing animations, no proper scripts, missing sounds... A lot of things made the release difficult but we always wanted to share this creation with all of you. I actually didn't really want to continue modding anymore but some kind people from the community convinced me to work on one last mod. So, after 2 years, I can finally say that the work on the "doggo mod" has resumed and we plan to release a preview version of this mod very soon.

Diwako (AI/Scripts), Louis (QA), Krogar (3D art) and myself (3D art/anims) are now actively working on the mod and I'm happy to tell you that it will be made available as a standalone mod. AMF will also release another version of the dog that is made specifically for their mod with unique features.

What you can expect:

- A custom unit with cool and realistic anims and sounds
- Equipments made specifically for the dog (harness, patches)

- An AI that features multiple behaviors and actions

- ACE compatibility

What is planned but not really sure yet:

- A kennel

- A camera

When will this mod be released?
Giving release dates is ALWAYS tricky because we are not sure that we can actually make it in time. While I still can't give you a specific release date, I can tell you that we will release it in Early Access first (we will call this version "Preview") so you can already test it while we still develop the mod. If you want to help us, don't hesitate to contact me on discord: Moonie#7777

I'll be back soon with more information.

1VvZ9ab.gif

And while you wait, here are some screenshots taken the last few days:

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Great stuff. Look forward to the 'Pawview' version. 

• Like 1

Super happy to see this being revived, the early teasers blew my mind.

I've been lucky to share my life with a few of these fine beasts over the past 50 years, I wish you the best of luck with the project.  

• Like 2

Sounds good ! Gonna add a lotta more realism to the game although at least in our games seeing the default dog in any mission (especially Zeus) has been an immediate reason for stealth or shoot-on-sight, in that order.

• Like 1

I worked on the textures for the harness yesterday. Someone (Aliasalpha) suggested to add a "rescue service vest" so I made an IDAP texture for the harness. I'll probably add more variants in the future.

image.png

image.png

dog_idap.jpg

• Like 13

18 hours ago, panzergrenadier3 said:

A molle pouch with medikits would be usefull on these one. Great work by the way!

😉

image.png

• Like 9

I added a bark animation as a gesture. The unit can move freely while barking. Not perfect yet, I'm still working on the transition but it's pretty cool 🙂
In the video below, the unit switches from a slow walk to a trot to a run while barking.

https://i.gyazo.com/c00fb3dfebfcb567bc94f4fdb5b6861a.mp4

• Like 9

G;day @MoonieFR,

Congratulations on re-starting this project. It is looking amazing so far. Looking forward to seeing and playing with your proof of concept version and the final version when you release.

Keep up the great work and you and your team have a Safe and Happy Christmas.

Regards

Wansec_6

• Like 1

Hey there.
I just gotta say, im really hyped for this. Arma always needed a good dog.
So, i dont know what exactly you are planning on, but ill give you a few things, that i've filtered from real K9 units, that might be useful.
1. Bomb detection:
I'm sure you have thought about this and will be integrating something, but my point is to how the dog will react to it. You could add several behaviours. For one there would be sitting in front of the explosive and barking or if you want to be quiet, to have an audio signal for the operator, when the dog is sitting in front of an explosive. I dont have exact intel, but i believe a similar system exists IRL.

2. Attack:

Current dog builds resort to attacking and killing, which isnt really good if you want to catch someone. It would be better if the dog, instead of killing the enemy, would lock them in an animation. Perhaps there could be some damage, but not killing them.

3. Mobile dog:
For one, dogs in vehicles and helicopters would be really good, cause there needs to be a way to transport them. If you wanna go real crazy, you could make them able to parachute or rapell with their operators. At least, thats what they can do IRL.

Hope you can take some inspiration out of this. I'm burning to see the results of this mod.

4282730600000578-0-image-a-57_1500564021

• Like 2

Hello,

I'm a bit busy since last month but everyone is still working (slowly) on the mod. AMF made some tacticool accesories for the dog. They've already released the goggles, harness and collar in their latest update.

Here is a quick look at AMF's accesories:

20230105170224_1.jpg

20230110203446_1.jpg

• Like 11

I tested the parachute animation I made earlier and I'm quite happy with the FPP result - The third person view is not as cool for the moment, I'm working on it 🙂

• Like 10

I noticed that the last couple of posts has been just you. So I made an account to let you know that at least one person is regularly following and enjoying these updates. Keep it up!

17 hours ago, berniemacbern said:

so hyped for this, is it too soon to speculate a release date?

I think we're all hyped for this four legged friend but let's try and follow good forum etiquette as asking for release dates is considered spam. :rthumb:

• Sad 1

Hello my friend! I am really looking forward for this mod! Is there any other way where to track your progress? Love all of your screenshots and video of para doggo is making me more hyped! Do you have any discord or any other platform where I can track it? 😁

This is literally the most anticipated mod for me for any games, let alone ARMA. Was K9 handler in the military for more than half a decade, can't wait to do it in arma, looks amazing!!!!! Hype is not even a word! Let me know if you need any reference equipment of behaviour wise!

Oh my god! My dream is about to come true!
Cant wait for this!
Thank you so much for keeping the hard work.