Sign in to follow this  
iNeo

Mogadishu 'island'

mog1.jpg

Screenshot from Mission Editor

sgt Gunnery Highway is working on his Mogadishu 'island'. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">sgt Gunnery Highway sent us the last screenshots of his map Mogadishu before release, he writes "i ve finally decided to stop here because i dont want to create a crap laggy map, just add some buildings finalize some road and it should be ready in a big week".<span id='postcolor'>

- ofp.info

AHHHh FINALLY someone has made a GOOD Somalia/Mogadishu map for the game. Now time to burn some midnight oil converting my old Blackhawk Down mission to this new map! I can't to get it all working with the new BAS Delta/Ranger soldiers and Little Birds... now if only we had some MH-60's. smile.gif

Although by the time I finish converting it, the MH-60's I imagine will be out. Hehehe.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

There's one thing I don't like. He has no beach on the Western edge, and possibly not on the North edge either (didn't check North). I guess he's trying to make it look like Somalia. Maybe it does when looking on the map. But go to the West edge and there's an ugly green edge, like a lifeless cliff, and then water a few meters down. I really think he should fix that. Except for that, it's nice to see a good Mogadishu map for OFP. smile.gif

Miles Teg, you gotta make a post in User Missions when you've converted your mission. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles Teg @ Feb. 24 2003,17:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">AHHHh FINALLY someone has made a GOOD Somalia/Mogadishu map for the game.  Now time to burn some midnight oil converting my old Blackhawk Down mission to this new map!  I can't to get it all working with the new BAS Delta/Ranger soldiers and Little Birds... now if only we had some MH-60's.  smile.gif  

Although by the time I finish converting it, the MH-60's I imagine will be out.  Hehehe.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD><span id='postcolor'>

I use the TJP MH-60s DAP by the time being

i am missing a runway near the airfield maybe the beach should be implented an some more green like in the movie so we can pick up that delta guy and he shoots the boar etc..

(airstrip is visible in the movie just a little bit)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (supergrunt @ Feb. 24 2003,19:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i am missing a runway near the airfield  maybe the beach should be implented an some more green like in the movie so we can pick up that delta guy and he shoots the boar etc..

(airstrip is visible in the movie just a little bit)<span id='postcolor'>

You're right, too bad the readme says he quit working on the island "as it started getting a bit laggy" for him..

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (supergrunt @ Feb. 23 2003,22:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i am missing a runway near the airfield  maybe the beach should be implented an some more green like in the movie so we can pick up that delta guy and he shoots the boar etc..

(airstrip is visible in the movie just a little bit)<span id='postcolor'>

Both the movie and all islands so far use artistic licence. I found this map of Mogadishu In my wanderings:

Mogadishu.jpg

The shorline is South South-East. The airfield would be a major problem to do, given the apparent limitiations of textures/ILS.

The movie wasn't filmed in Mogadishu, so not 100% of everything is totally accurate to the real place.

The island also needs more varied buildings rather than just the CWC buildings over and over.

(if you havent already) ...

Take a look at some of the mogadishu maps on Mark Bowdens newspaper posted information site..

http://inquirer.philly.com/packages/somalia/maps.asp

Some good information, including all sorts of information.

The movie was shot in Marrocco as it was the closest similar place they could shoot a movie in. imho the book (as is often the case) is far far superior to the movie, and would be a great resource, describing small details such as how fine the sand/dust was, and how difficult the rangers insertion was due to reduced visibilty (including a fast rope drop of only 2 metres in one case).

cheers,

onsl.

The moga-map for OFP is far from beiing realistic.

If you checked the actual Mogadishu you will find out that it is rather hilly. When I looked from the camp´s airfield at Sharky Bay towards the city it was much higher than the camp. The whole town is far from being flat. It is a very hilly town.

Furthermore the variety of houses isn´t very representative is it ?

Just my two cents.

Moga map from 1980´s NOTE the whole city is more or less destryed now.

Military maps of Moga

Sat image of the Blackhawk down scenario in Moga

US_heli.JPG

Downed US helo in Moga.

Downtown.JPG

Patrol scene

The road layout would be easy. Getting the buildings in would be the mind-numbing bit; balancing out the close spaces against lag.

Aside from the inconvenience of actually doing it during mission creation, are there any disadavantages to dropping in the buildings as needed?

It was quite a city once. what a tragedy.

And yet again Gren shamelessly plugs his Aster Dem Tutorial at the OFPEC.COM website. It would help in creating a pretty accurate OFP depiction of the Mog area. Looks like pretty much most of Northeast Somolia has been remotely sensed. The buildings that are left would produce some descrepencies but of little consequence. The shoreline and airfield however would be acurately portrayed for our civilian needs.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You guys do way too much to prove your point. <span id='postcolor'>

Maybe because I´ve been there and I don´t want to play in Disneyland when it comes to Moga missions even in OFP.

I always tend to see it like this:

- can it be realised in a good way ?

- can it be accurate as much as possible ?

If any addon author can´t do that he should work together with others that for example model buildings or help to make it as accurate as possible.

The better the result , the more fun.

The best example for this is the BAS addon. Hell of a fun cause it is very well done and very accurate.

I don´t see critizism as a bad thing. I have spent 6 months in somalia. Half of the time in camp Belet huen and the rest in Moga or on the road wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Balschoiw @ Feb. 25 2003,20:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You guys do way too much to prove your point. <span id='postcolor'>

Maybe because I´ve been there and I don´t want to play in Disneyland when it comes to Moga missions even in OFP.

I always tend to see it like this:

- can it be realised in a good way ?

- can it be accurate as much as possible ?

If any addon author can´t do that he should work together with others that for example model buildings or help to make it as accurate as possible.

The better the result , the more fun.

The best example for this is the BAS addon. Hell of a fun cause it is very well done and very accurate.

I don´t see critizism as a bad thing. I have spent 6 months in somalia. Half of the time in camp Belet huen and the rest in Moga or on the road  wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Well said. I think if your going to make an addon, do it right or don't do it. Too many addons out there with so much potential.

I think it is a good start for the layout, and if someone picked it up, it may turn into something. If Visitor is ever released, I;m sure this one could be done. Just need copy and pasting ability.

Well it's okay, but the author could've made a larger effort to make it look remotely like Somalia. It's not that hard finding pictures, maps, etc, plus to reduce the lag, maybe tone down the size of the city (maybe one quarter the size of the real thing), and use simple, squarish, low-poly buildings.

While it may not be realistic, I think it is VASTLY better then using Desert Everon or Desert Malden maps for BHD missions. Personally I think this map is a good one even if it isn't perfectly realistic. Yes it can be better but it'll definitely tie me over until a better one is created.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Why do you hate disney land? And I've never been to anywhere but Vermont so how should I know what Somolia looked like, heck I had to go with my Dad inorder to watch Black Hawk down cause they wouldn't let me watch a rated r movie.