TangoDeltaBravo

'Save' is greyed out in Single Player Scenario

Hi guys and gals,

New to the forum, first post and request for help of some more experienced Arma 3 users and/or mission makers.

It's regarding this mission I have found on the in the Arma 3 workshop on Steam:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=973912639

For some reason I cannot save my progress when I play this as a Single Player Scenario.

I am using the Ace3 mod as it is required by the mission.

I have searched the internet regarding this issue, but have not found the right way to fix the problem

Tried and checked so far:

- extracted the mission from the workshop using the PBO Manager

- managed to open it in de Editor

- checked that saving is enabled in Attributes

- exported it as Single Player mission

Hello TangoDeltaBravo, Welcome to BI forums!

All your answers are on the workshop page for the mission itself.

That isn't a singleplayer mission, you have to play that through MP lan, dedicated or a GSP (rented server).

You can play the mission solo but its not setup for singleplayer as the author has it setup for respawn,

which you can only do in multiplayer.

As per the mission's workshop page "Playable as SP (via local LAN MP), COOP or PVP."

This means you can only play it through mp lan, dedicated or other server.

Hi Gunter,

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for your answer.

I was aware of the information in the workshops page, however, I am not playing the mission via the Multiplayer option:
I am able to play the mission (both the original workshop mission as well as the one I exported as a SP mission) via 'Single Player' -> 'Scenario'.

Can I edit something about the mission to make it possible to save my progress?

Judging by the comments, the mission uses a custom save system, so vanilla saving is most likely completely disabled via script.

Depending on how the custom saving works, it may be impossible to make it work for SP, at least not without some extensive re-work of the scripts.

SP saving in vanilla is problematic for large scale scenarios - if a save file reaches a certain size, it will simply crash the game. And there isn't any easy solution to this, sadly...

Missions like that which is a variation of KP Liberation should have parameters in the lobby when you host the mission.

If you decide to play it in a singleplayer mode, you wont be able to respawn, nor will those parameters be available.

Ideally i would suggest playing it through mp lan so you can respawn because in singleplayer if you die its game over, in mp

if you die, you respawn, in this mission you have respawn tickets so there is a limit to the number of times you

can respawn before the mission ends.

As for saving try this, its an external utility that will save your mission, just read about it and try it out

Multiplayer Save and Load

https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/226347-multiplayer-save-and-load-v21-by-wert/

Idk if that is efficient as alot of the comments on the steam workshop page say they have issues.

Another way it so place down the save module which i never used, or tested, but its under systems in the editor.

Idk what else to tell other then rent a GSP and set the mission to persistent in the server's cfg then you wont

need to worry about saving, you can just come back to where you left off.

@haleks What about the save module in Ravage would that work for this mission or is that specific to Ravage's functions and assets?

4 minutes ago, Gunter Severloh said:

@haleks What about the save module in Ravage would that work for this mission or is that specific to Ravage's functions and assets?

iirc, the module doesn't check if it's actually MP, so in theory, yes, it should work... To some extend : the module will save everything player-related, but AI & mission objectives won't save; so that's probably not very helpful for that kind of scenario. 😕 

So why not just play in MP LAN like you are meant to? It's no more difficult than playing in SP.

10 minutes ago, Harzach said:

So why not just play in MP LAN like you are meant to?

He's after trying to save his progress, i think that was the reason that he edited it and exported it to singleplayer.

Even if he did play it through mp lan, theres still no way to save unless as i said the mission was on a server and you could set in the server.cfg

Persistent     = 0;     // If set to 1, missions will continue to run after all players have disconnected;

But considering dont think thats realistic for him.

Mp lan is your best bet as you can respawn but then your progress wont be saved, best talk with the Wyquer i think his

name is and ask about saving or persistence.

34 minutes ago, Gunter Severloh said:

He's after trying to save his progress

@haleks mentioned that the mission seems to use a custom save system. On my phone, so I can't check it out. 

2 minutes ago, Harzach said:

@haleks mentioned that the mission seems to use a custom save system. On my phone, so I can't check it out. 

That's what one comment said on the WS, but looking at the author's github, I can't see anything related to that.

Actually, I can't even see where/how saving is disabled in that scenario, probably a MP thing I'm missing (that's definitely not my area of expertise) ?

19 minutes ago, haleks said:

That's what one comment said on the WS,

Ah, looking at it now. He apparently thought he was replying to the KP Liberation page. So, indeed no saving in this scenario.