Pawnda1

Large Terrain Visual Culling Issue

Hi,

I'm having issues where I've generated a terrain that's about 110kmx110km and applied a heightmap to it. When I look in certain directions while hovering over the terrain, it seems to 'cull' or go completely flat and grey. The lighting also seems to disappear when this happens. Everything becomes visible when looking at a very specific angle.

It also happens when in-game while testing and weirder still, the generic player has no gun, can fire bullets but you can only hear the ground impacts and when you go third person, there's no player model.

Everything works fine for smaller maps with the same heightmap data and objects present in the scene. I wouldn't believe that the engine has an upper limit for terrain size, and as I said previously, everything is essentially the same in the smaller scenario. The only thing that has changed is the size and Grid Cell Size parameter when the terrain was generated but I just feel like I've put everything in correctly.

Please let me know if you have the same issue or a potential fix. I can provide more information in a few hours when I'm free again.

Thanks.

Something similar has been discussed on the official arma discord. 

There is no fix for this atm. 
Seems like 32km x 32km is the biggest correectly working mapsize as of now