scottb613

String Comparisons

Hi Folks,

Working on a simple script where I want to redistribute remaining mags among team members - after a firefight - as I would expect would happen in real life. I plan to count all the primary weapon magazines and distribute the remaining evenly among respective weapon users. I haven't figured out how to handle a unit that may have different types of magazines for their primary weapon - yet. 

It's been a while since I've done any heavy Arma scripts.

What am I doing wrong? I simply want to count the remaining mags of the primary weapon. The string comparison never increments the counter. I tried making both a STR. I looked at each value and the array element includes brackets and quotes which is probably the cause.

_priWeap = primaryWeapon player;
_priMag = primaryWeaponMagazine player;

_magsArr = magazines player;

_cntMags = count _magsArr;
_logger = format ["%1 Mags",_cntMags];
//hint _logger;

_cnt1 = 0;
{
	if (_x == _priMag) then
	{
		_cnt1 = _cnt1 + 1;
	};	
} forEach _magsArr;
_logger = format ["%1 Mags",_cnt1];
hint _logger;

Thanks.

Regards,
Scott

in your code you cycle through the array of strings _magsArr using a forEach loop which gives you the current string in _x.

But you are comparing _x wich is a string with the array of strings _priMag. 

Thats the problem, primaryWeaponMagazine returns an array of strings but not a single string.

Edit:

you could use:

_x in _priMag

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/in

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, sarogahtyp said:

in your code you cycle through the array of strings _magsArr using a forEach loop which gives you the current string in _x.

But you are comparing _x wich is a string with the array of strings _priMag. 

Thats the problem, primaryWeaponMagazine returns an array of strings but not a single string.

Edit:

you could use:

_x in _priMag

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/in

Thanks for the explanation - let me give that a try. It's amazing how much time you can spend attempting to overcome a simple hurdle.

Regards,
Scott

On 9/12/2022 at 1:39 PM, pierremgi said:

This could help: compatibleMagazines

Hi Pierre,

EXCELLENT - that was the piece of the puzzle that had me stalled on completing this script - I didn't know how to find the respective magazines for each weapon.

Thanks!

Regards,

Scott