Sign in to follow this  
Recaldy

[SP Campaign] Heart of Evil for ARMA 3

Experience Captain Percy Freeman's mission to eliminate the elusive Colonel Bob Kurtz during the Vietnam War.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Heart of Evil for ARMA 3 is a -loose- fan recreation campaign of the classic single-player mod for Half-life released on 01 January 2002.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2861021603

STAND-OUT FEATURES:

-Campaign spanning over 10+ scenarios
-Original Heart of Evil voice acting
-Prairie Fire music tracks
-Specific scenarios offer replay-ability
-Far less Barney-sitting
-Comedy

Things to note before you play

Dual Arms - Two Primary Weapons mod is recommended
Extended Movement mod is not recommended
Music is recommended to be turned on
Most scenarios contain either an intro or outro. Your experience isn't over until that ARMA 3 "mission complete" message appears!

Big THANK YOU to my small batch of fans for playing my ARMA 3 content! This it my largest project to date on the steam workshop. Please enjoy my many months spent further learning the editor and producing Heart of Evil for ARMA 3.

• Like 3

I've never played HL's Heart of Evil, probably seen some gameplay on Youtube but it must have been long ago so I won't review this from some nostalgic point of view. I like jungles and zombies, both combined together always create a lot of coolness, had a laugh a few times, AI wasn't as deadly as they usually are in SOG scenarios, good job on that. Played Deadzone Vietnam some time before this one and had somewhat similar vibes, however this one is way more combat-intense. Everything I wrote below, don't treat it as criticism, it's just a casual POV of how was I feeling playing your campaign. If it's designed for hardcore milsimmers enjoying very slow, Tarkovsky-like pacing, I can cope with that because it's just not a campaign for me. I'll describe all my concerns or issues for each mission below. Spoilers ahead btw, if anyone sees this and haven't played the campaign.

Mission 1:

Spoiler

A lot of walking, probably around 10 kilometers so you spend at least two hours jogging around, even unlimited stamina didn't help and I'm not an explorer type of persion especially on maps I've already seen, blocking of simulation acceleration made me get SSCPM and I just slapped a 1.3 speedAnimCoef to not waste my time on that. Locations were pretty empty with some dudes standing around that I didn't even have to kill, I did it only for the food. After checking out first two closest locations to me i got a task to search a yellow zone, but there still were two more tasks for checking out other military bases, and once I checked them out, the yellow area marker was gone. After finishing whole campaign I opened that mission in editor and bless God I took the short way to the helicopters instead of searching almost half of the map as the yellow marker told me to. 

Main task says to eliminate the officer so my advice is to put him and his dudes in a room or anything that is not open space visible from some high ground, because taking a shot at him and noticing he's invulnerable kinda breaks the immersion.

Mission 2:

Spoiler

Very dark, probably too dark. I guess fighting at night with the VC in compound is what you do in the original but after player clears it, at least setting aperture to something more brighter would be a good solution so I don't have to get killed instantly in ambushes or fall to my death because I couldn't see anything under my feet. Full moon works cool on arid maps like Altis, here the woods block everything and it's just staring at a black screen. Not cool, even if milsimmy. Oh, and another 10 clicks of walking, unless I messed up by cutting the way throughout the zone instead of following roads or enemies, just walking to the base. Seen a truck during my march but it was guarded by bunch of VC and few hundred meters further down the road it was blocked by two tanks, so there was no reason to take it at all.

Mission 3:

Spoiler

More jogging lol (found a bicycle in one of the FOBs tho), somewhere during playing this mission I thought that maybe there was a lot of walking in HL too, but I doubt maps there would be that big, and isn't like Arma which features dying from a single hit no matter what difficulty settings you choose.Zombies seem to spawn too fast, often infront of player's face, feels almost impossible to clear a single compound, because of lack of any backpacks until later stage of the mission I was out of ammo all the time (maintaining food level was way more annoying than just not fighting the zombies). The only way to actually take a breath, eat stuff and think what to do was inside buildings that were above the ground level - zombies didn't know what to do and were just standing in front of me. "Search river side FOB to thenorth" seems to be broken, I found the weapon cache and walked through all the buildings but it didn't end, unless I had to take something from there but if so, then boxes were already gone due to my unfortunate grenade. There's a camp at the end of the "Scout the path ahead" task and there are two guys supposed to be lying dead, but simulation is disabled for them and they just stand aiming, unlootable.

Mission 4:

Spoiler

I gave up once I was told to find tools. No info where should I look ("around airport"), no image of how these tools even look, no zones of approximate location or any hint, everything with non-stop-respawning hordes of zombies. I thought the task of searching inside the base for some radio for almost 40 minutes was hardcore. I put it out of my mind and skipped to next mission like this one never existed. Btw, Script "note9.sqf" not found, not crucial as this is just a lore insight probably, but still.

Mission 5:

Spoiler

This wasn't that bad apart from zombies that were way more tougher than any other before, civilians could take good 10 SKS rounds to the chest and still go after me. Found a jerry can and escaped with some civilian, no other tasks, no-one told me to find that guy so idk if this was how I was supposed to go through that mission.

Mission 6:

Spoiler

Yellow area marker for where should I find Barney showed up when I already arrived there, had to make myself Zeus and find him, otherwise I would spend way too much time walking around a map so big.

Mission 7:

Spoiler

The hangar didn't want to open itself, somehow I started the conversation when I got onto the roof, scenario didn't end itself because there was no "report position" thingy, at least not in the menu. Had to cheat-end.

Mission 8:

Spoiler

This took me a couple of tries only to find out the best way to finish this one is to just run without any equipment at all, as even if I managed to fight my way through the airstrip, three many-handed mofos started jumping on me on a slope terrain and they could move with their unlimited speed while I was struggling to zig-zag. No weapon is best weapon.

Mission 9:

Spoiler

Annoying. Not sure what you wanted to show through that long boat sequence because there was no sightseeing (it's very dark), no dialogues for like 90% of it, and it was veeery slow. After first song passed I brought veggies with me and managed to peel potatoes and cut some meat, I'm not saying it with sneer. It could've started like 15 seconds before the camera shot of some VC dude watching us, and then cut again. Or compress the empty space between dialogues... Weird pacing.

Mission 10:

Spoiler

Mindblowing. Tad too dark and way too many jumpers, but bearable.

Mission 11:

Spoiler

Huge distances but at least I can use a helicopter.

Mission 12:

Spoiler

Nothing to say, ending couldn't be better.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, honger said:

Spoilers ahead btw, if anyone sees this and haven't played the campaign.

Spoiler tags are provided mate.😉 

• Like 1